Mark's B.Mk.III 'Grogs the Shot'

MarkSH

Nice going Mark. Your improvements will really lift the overall look if this kit. Can I ask a question about those engine intakes? Do Revell provide parts that are more suited to a late war (F.E.) Merlin 24 engined Lanc or have they just got this wrong altogether. They do look a little too wide for most wartime Lancaster aircraft. 

Cheers.. Dave 

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice going Mark. Your improvements will really lift the overall look if this kit. Can I ask a question about those engine intakes? Do Revell provide parts that are more suited to a late war (F.E.) Merlin 24 engined Lanc or have they just got this wrong altogether. They do look a little too wide for most wartime Lancaster aircraft. 

Cheers.. Dave 

There are no alternative parts supplied in the kit and I agree they are too wide but it is the shape that bugged me more.

• Thanks 1

Evening all,

As I am going to put Grogs' along side the Airfix RAF bomber Re-supply set, I thought it was appropriate to open up the crew access door and make an access ladder. I have started to add some limited former and stringer detail opposite the new opening:

49610747881_cf2391ae9f_b.jpg

I'm just trying to work out the best way to represent the ammunition feed chutes, the effort above is with some 'L' section warped in some hot water. I'll also need to add the flare chute apparatus which is directly opposite the door.

49610747481_9089542d6e_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 9

Evening all,

Continuing to add detail to the interior but I'll draw a line under it now as anything additional just won't be seen.

49615280486_1f7f50b541_b.jpg

I've added the bomb aimers handrail and the interestingly named flight engineer's 'Dickie' seat, I need to add the backrest as well. and maybe some wiring.

49615280546_d510be7a66_b.jpg

I have also added the Flare Chute and the ammunition feed chutes.

49614765658_2433ea950f_b.jpg

I have glued the door in place, at that angle most of it won't be seen so I'll paint it in the appropriate black when I'm painting up the interior, I've also added the threshold step and walkway.

Hopefully get some priming and painting done tomorrow.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11

Evening all,

I found a really nice website that includes a virtual tour of 'Just Jane' link: https://www.haraldjoergens.com/panoramas/lancaster/

apologies if its old news but I hadn't seen it before and very much enjoyed 'walking through' a Lancaster. I used it as a basis for some of the cockpit detailing.

My effort has just had a black and brown wash applied and is still a bit wet in places.

49627654833_f4e0cc2e8f_b.jpg

49628171541_2739020f23_b.jpg

49628171376_5b29672529_b.jpg

The  table tops could have been black also but I thought that the 'wood' effect was a bit brighter.

49628445902_8b3326f836_b.jpg

The PE adds a nice splash of colour as well.

49628171351_fe207a716f_b.jpg

I did decide to nudge the seat forward a little as it was quite a way from the IP (yet to be fitted)

49628445852_725e7cdb66_b.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 11

How’s goods that! These Lanc cockpits are really turning out quite nicely and it’s great to see many modellers all at the same stage on their Lanc builds. It’s all very motivational stuff. Well done.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon everyone,

Spent a while detailing the bomb bay, I will be using the Airfix bomber re-supply set so the appropriate bomb load (1 x 4,000Ib, 4 x 1,000Ib, 1 x 500Ib, and where possible 1 x 250Ib) for the Berchtesgaden raid will be on the bomb trolleys with the bomb bay doors open:

49630712001_cfd9dfa701_b.jpg

I have added the pads to the empty bomb slip arms plus what I assume to be the release solenoids and some wiring, I do intend to add some of the substantial wiring and conduits present on the bomb bay side walls before assembling the fuselage, it just serves to busy it all up a bit.

Plus.. oh dear look what arrived in the post today...Saturday....

49630712541_95db8a0fe4_b.jpg

IT was a bargain, I had no choice, I had to do it!

no hiding this one from SWMBO, I may not be online for a while!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

That bomb bay looks nice. And who could blame you for snapping up a bargain? I don’t have a problem getting bargains past SWMBO since she has trouble walking past a bargain herself!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Finally made some time to get the two fuselage halves together:

49703555828_84fd3ea973_b.jpg

Relatively trouble free but the plastic is very thin in places and did tend to shift about a bit so inevitably there will be some cleaning up to do.

I did notice that @Dansk was experiencing issues with the Mid-upper turret and it prompted me to have a look at the shape:

49704401277_efcc697846_b.jpg

Several other BM members have noted the issues with the turret sitting too high, as I have the Airfix 'Dambuster' version and the mid-upper parts are still included, I made a comparison between the two sets and the shape of the turret clear parts are pretty much the same the issue appears to be in the actual mechanism part making the clear parts sit too high. Additionally the shape of the turret fairing, is to my eye better in the Airfix rendition. As they are spare, I'll go with the Airfix parts.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

Good to see some turret comparisons for all to see. The Hasegawa kit splits this mid upper turret horizontally so is likely to be quite different again. I’m sure both you guys (and great modellers) will make the best of what you’ve got. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Morning everyone,

I have started to build the engine nacelles / wing assemblies and test fitting showed the first really bad side of the kit, the fit was awful!

49707721457_07f6722b04_b.jpg

A lot of fettling (cutting away) of the internal frame work which sat too proud of the wing surface and a lot of filler in the gaps! Unfortunately it meant that to have a stronger structure to play with I had to forego the engine panels off idea.

anyway, much sanding later....

49707721582_374257bb2c_b.jpg

49707402866_3825fb2424_b.jpg

The top surface joins weren't too bad. The outer nacelles have had the inner join scraped away to adjust the angle of dangle.

49707721607_6544f26f13_b.jpg

Another area of concern is the tail 'spar' which is at quite an angle, I have looked at my assembly of the fuselage and can see no real discrepancy, there is no step, no dramatic twisting of the rear of the fuselage or anything to account for the substantial angle (the photo doesn't really do it justice). I will try to cut away some fuselage under the high side to try and even it out otherwise I'll have to make sure to adjust the tail planes when gluing.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all,

I hope you are all well, keeping safe and healthy, but still able to enjoy an unusually sunny Bank Holiday, typical seeing as we can't go out, much.

Funnily enough; not much has been happening with my build of 'Grogs the Shot' sorry about that, this is mainly because I have been busy trying to move a couple of other GB entries along, but I have just managed to attach the wings and tail plane today, mindful of my earlier issues with the correct alignment of the respective spars...not too bad:

49757600346_f21df1ae16_b.jpg

Set aside to well and truly cure before any more tinkering. Next up will be the substantial job of dealing with all the clear parts and assemblies.

49757122593_2d4c92ba32_b.jpg

Gulp!......The clear parts have all been Mark future proofed.....oh yeah! wait 'til I start getting glue near 'em

Including my cobbled together Bomb Aimer's blister....sounds nasty he should probably get some cream for that:

49757649446_dbb2056337_b.jpg

Grogs' only had a blister on the starboard side of the cockpit glazing, so the spare was chopped up and fitted to the bomb aimers clear panel, the blister was apparently open at the rear, I affixed the blister with PVA and then dipped it in Future (Klear) it worked better than I was expecting although a little less that optically clear, I'll go and have a lie down.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

Evening all,

I seem to have spent an eternity applying all the masking to 'Grogs' but its finally done, my task this weekend was to get both 'Grogs' and my Nordic GB Draken ready for priming and any rectifications over the coming week:

49794268857_bd926153b5_b.jpg

So all the disparate parts are ready for priming, I had a bit of a practice effort with the nose gun and it looks ok. The masking for the mid-upper had to be modified as I'm using the Airfix parts not the Revell.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

As usual, it’s all looking great Mark. It’s good seeing all these Lancs now taking shape and heading for the paint booths. I’m sure this one will be another stunner. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Afternoon all,

Sporadic progress as usual, I can't resist these GBs and rack up commitments left, right and center!

Anyway I have been in airbrush mode for a couple of days on several of those commitments and the net result, at least with the Lanc' is thus:

49822004191_556c99f023_b.jpg

I have black base primed the whole thing and when masked I will add some marbling to help break it all up,

49822004106_5ac4b57da8_b.jpg

The underside has been sprayed with a very, very dark grey and the panel centres picked out with a lightened version of the same I feel that flat black is too much at 1/72, obviously I will be 'modifying' the colour with an oil filter and weathering powder as I normally do. The wing tips and tails (Dry fit only) were masked and primed white over the 'black' and then sprayed with  Humbrol 154 Insignia Yellow.

I think I might seal the undersides before continuing and masking off for the top surface camo.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 6

Hi everyone,

A little progress with Grogs' this morning applied some marbling and blotches to the black primer:

49845533472_fb3f5d80a7_b.jpg

I'm not too confident, but hopefully it'll show through the camo colours subtly. The report on Grogs I read, suggested that the airframe was substantially stained and chipped at the time of the Berchtesgaden raid, I'll be adding more weathering on top of the main colours, if it does show through it'll just add another layer of texture. 

I have just applied the Dark Earth:

49845533577_2f745218c0_b.jpg

I used a Tamiya XF-52/XF-49 mk. I eyeball mix, whilst that's drying I am in the process of cutting out the masks for the Dark green, I took a photo of the Revell paint guide, resized it, in CorelDRAW, printed it and am having at it with a scalpel. I had a go at free handing the dark green on the tail but my airbrushing ability is not good enough yet, but it was worth a try and was good practice anyway.

Cheers,

Mark. 

• Like 3

Afternoon all,

Continuing with Grogs' paintwork:

49845239203_3246ec2ac1_b.jpg

Paper and tape masks applied. the paper masks have been tacked down with masking fluid.

49845239388_09a56b3298_b.jpg

Dark green XF-81 sprayed and the masks removed, a few minor peels and areas of under spray required touching up.

49845239263_1ed2436f1b_b.jpg

Overall not too bad, the nose and tail fairings will be painted separately.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Again not too much progress but another milestone out of the way today all the decals applied and as usual with one of my builds, one prominent decal disaster!

49900776093_bf3c00775d_b.jpg

Underside; not many decals here but a couple of breakages with the red line stencilling nonetheless!

49901292356_7d6d4eb02c_b.jpg

The vertical tails aren't glued in place yet, most of the decals settled down well enough, except the black walkway markers on the wing tops., which BTW if you follow the roundel placement aren't long enough and so some placement compromises had to be made, meaning there are some gaps that'll need filling in anyway. However the use of Mr Mark Softer in an attempt to get them to settle down better, resulted in the ugly blemish below:

49901602007_87b388fa2b_b.jpg

....always in the most prominent of places! hopefully a light touch up and some weathering will be able to disguise it.

Other than that got a few more of the bits and bobs painted up ready for assembly:

49900776173_cd6a93016d_b.jpg

Next task; seal the decals when they're dry and firmed up.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 4