Mark's B.Mk.III 'Grogs the Shot'

MarkSH

Hello all,

This is my entry with a kit re-acquired from my son for whom it was bought as a Christmas gift at least 10 years ago just before he decided that he didn't like model making as much as Dad does!......ok got that of my chest.....he'll be back!!...guaranteed!!!

Anyway the obligatory:

49537577301_8b8b150428_b.jpg

Typical Revell box modified iaw standard modelling practice, I'm sure this keeps me under the 25% rule.

49537082078_dc8db76e46_b.jpg

I've chosen 'Grogs the Shot' from the two choices in the kit.

49537082248_efae3ccaee_b.jpg

Decals look good.

49537804012_8148fcb66f_b.jpg

General plastic contents; some nicely molded parts (the clear parts do look quite nice) and some outright poor renditions of others such as the wheels/tyres so some replacement details are ready and waiting and some more on the way.

I will be addressing the outer wing dihedral using the, take your life in your hand as well as a razor saw to the top wing section approach a 'la Brett Green. I'll also see about a minor adjustment to the engine air intake shape/profile but haven't decided on which way to go yet.

Hopefully I will be able to display it along with the Airfix RAF Bomber resupply set or at least some of it using the same display base as I did for my B17 build.

Still a week to go...:waiting:

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 16

26 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Mark do you know why this one has yellow tails? (now I'm curious after the white tail reason)

ah! I dunno to be honest I'll try and find out.

16 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Hehehe, bought the very same box for my son who also came to the same conclusion as yours, but not before starting. It’s still sitting half-finished and unpainted on a shelf collecting dust.

Ha! I don't need a son to do that. I can do half-finished dust-collectors all on my own. Oh, and good luck on the build, Mark. A Revell B.III done as a Mk.VI is one of my dust-collectors. The kit goes together well, but the dihedral does need some attention.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 12:57 PM, Dansk said:

Mark do you know why this one has yellow tails? (now I'm curious after the white tail reason)

Because No 1 Group instruction dictated the the wing tips and the rudders were to be painted such in an aid for other aircraft to identify the aircraft.

Grog was one of six such aircraft from 100 Squadron that was to lead all aircraft of No 1 Group into the attack

• Thanks 1

Mark

I hope you are going to be the first to eliminate the windows on this Lancaster ?

Can I just point out also that the central part of the letter 'W' needs to be flat and not pointed  . . . 

I have a very close association with this aircraft so I will be watching with special interest 

Ian

33 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Because No 1 Group instruction dictated the the wing tips and the rudders were to be painted such in an aid for other aircraft to identify the aircraft.

Grog was one of six such aircraft from 100 Squadron that was to lead all aircraft of No 1 Group into the attack

Yes just like wot I said....Leader plane for day ops

29 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Mark

I hope you are going to be the first to eliminate the windows on this Lancaster ?

Can I just point out also that the central part of the letter 'W' needs to be flat and not pointed  . . . 

What no windows at all!?...this thing is growing legs, no such thing as a simple GB build.

I guess the simplest thing would be to install the clear parts and smooth off externally with filler, except on the interior detailed areas where a flush piece of plastic card would need to be fitted.

Can I ask the mods for an extension to this GB before it actually starts!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here we go then,

The first thing I needed to do was to address some of the kit shortcomings. As the major issue involves the outer wing dihedral and necessitates surgery that was item 1. I have to admit to starting last night but I wanted to get it out of the way:

49599530551_de960a8d3b_b.jpg

The wing top sections were cut in half and the two pieces were glued to the lower sections.

49599034313_d5605fed2f_b.jpg

This is the join that was left, some thin plastic card was tacked in the gaps at the leading and trailing edges and then thin liquid poly was run along the join and the angle maintained with masking tape stretched from root to tip and the assemblies were left overnight to cure.

This morning I started on the fuselage windows, the kit clear parts were fitted and then the windows were 'flooded' with Mr. Surfacer 500 and sanded back to the fuselage:

49599121503_f1b4ed4811_b.jpg

I also started to address the radiator intake shape. This is another area of the Revell kit that has been discussed at great length:

49599034408_8cfcedda0a_b.jpg

My solution stops short of amending the width, which I think is too wide but only marginally and too fiddly to start adding strips of plastic or filler to amend. The intake at far right is unmodified and quite clearly poorly shaped being too square, the others have had the bottom of the intake opening carved, filed and sanded to a more rounded shape which has improved the proportions of the whole. The intake at far left has also had the missing fillets added using some Apoxie sculpt blended into the circumference of the engine nacelle with a cocktail stick.

From the side the intake 'chin' profile is also poor, to my mind, again being too squared off:

49599790212_27c1f64bbd_b.jpg

The intake at left has been sanded to a more rounded profile as compared to the unmodified intake at right.

Some may not agree with my take on the width issue, but I think that when they are painted and looking less stark than in the light grey they'll look a whole lot better.

More later.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 8

Thanks to @stever219 who informed me of the chordwise strengthening over the wing I have had little problem in covering the join at the dihedral start point. In all honesty it wasn't too bad anyway but the plastic 'straps' also serve the same purpose as the 1:1 originals and just add a little bit of extra support to the join.

49599530416_aecfb57ffb_b.jpg

49599530311_ece97bf6e3_b.jpg

In no way a scientific demonstration but the increased angle is very close on both wings...

49599034283_06b3b24cce_b.jpg

....Phew...glad that's out of the way!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Impressive work Mark.

What did you do with the main wings undersides to get them to angle?

I Just applied glue to the cut and then set the angle with masking tape stretched from the root of the wing to the tip. It works reasonably well as long as you are accurate with the cut keeping it a straight as possible I did what Brett Green suggested and heavily scribed the join line prior to making the cut.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Thanks 1

Afternoon all,

I have started to add some detail to the Pilot's seat area, the kit's clear parts are quite nicely moulded so they should offer a good deal of visibility of the interior:

49604785287_df1039ae37_b.jpg

A suggestion of the seat raising mechanism and seat structure has been added, I removed the rather thick armour plating and replaced it with some thinner card and also the stays. The lap belts have been added using a masking tape and foil sandwich.

49604529146_991e26c181_b.jpg

The large trim wheel and various other right hand side assemblies added.

49604785392_9bd645d19b_b.jpg

I have added the brake release? lever to the yoke as well as the comms? button to the control column. I have added some piping behind the seat as well as the little mesh bag attached to the seat rear.

49604026168_2d4c273201_b.jpg

The PE added to the instrument panel, plus some rudder pedals and engine control levers.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7

Good job on the wing dihedral! I have to admit I didn't bother with the dihedral on my B.VI conversion (the heavier Merlin 85s and Lincoln-type cowlings fitted pulled the dihedral down a bit - that's my story, and I'm sticking with it!). Good job on the cockpit, also!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Haha 1