Avro Lancaster STGB Gallery

The poll is open! Please note it´s open for this week only and until 20.00 on next Sunday (but I´m not sure according to which timezone that is!).  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Please pick one of these subjects

• Lancastrian prototype, a conversion by theplasticsurgeon
    • Lancaster B.II Metrowick F.2 testbed, a conversion by zebra
    • Lancaster B.I of 207 Sqn, by woody37
    • Lancaster B.I Special "Grand Slam", by peterairfix
    • Lincoln of 61 Sqn, a conversion by PeterB
    • Lancaster B.III Special "Tallboy", by DaveJL
    • York of 241 OCU, by Mr T
    • Lancaster B.I Special "Grand Slam", by Rafwaffe
    • Lancaster B.I of 467 Sqn RAAF, by TonyW
    • A pair of B.III Lancasters of 100 Sqn, by Mancunian airman
    • Lancaster 10MR of RCAF, by Hockeyboy76
    • Python Lincoln conversion, by zebra
    • Lancaster B.III Special "Dambuster", by DaveJL
    • Lancaster B.I Special "Grand Slam", by JOCKNEY
    • Manchester prototype conversion, by Adrian Hills
    • Manchester Mk.I, by PeterB
    • Lancaster ASR III conversion, by Valenstitch
    • Lancaster Mk.10 conversion, by CliffB
    • 684 'Stratosphere' bomber conversion, by Adrian Hills
    • Lancaster B.III of 100 Sqn, by MarkSH
    • Lancaster B.I (FE), by Back in the saddle
    • Lancaster B.I/III, by Ol'Scrapiron
    • Lancaster B.III Special "Dambuster", by Harry_the_spider
    • Lancaster B.III of 12 Sqn, by TommyF
    • Lancaster B.I of 467 Sqn RAAF, by vppelt68

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/06/20 at 17:00

• 1 month later...

Probably the quickest build in the last few years thanks to some strange virus that's knocking around, my Airfix Lancaster B.I R5570 of 207 Squadron. The aerial in the rear cockpit is a bit thick so I need to see if I can stretch some thinner sprue.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for the encouragement along the way :)

Neil

• Like 49

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

In the mid 1980's I saw an article on converting a Lancaster into a Lincoln, so I bought a second mould Airfix Lanc and a DB Conversions set. For many years  it sat in my roof, and when I got it down about 10 years ago I had lost the conversion set so I bought a replacement from Flight Path which it seems was an upgraded version of the DB one. Again it lingered in my roof as I did not feel up to doing it, but after finally building my Frog Shackleton last year in the Frog GB, and seeing this STGB advertised, I decided to have a go. Needless to say, when I got it down a few months back my wife found the missing conversion set, but that has gone to a good home in Australia. So here it finally is in the markings of 61 Squadron as it appeared during the Coronation review in 1953 apparently.

DSC02936-crop DSC02924-crop DSC02938-crop

I was going to take the pics outdoors but may not bother as these are not too bad - the Medium Sea Grey uppers are a bit lighter in reality. The conversion set was a bit basic by modern standards, and included a resin nose and fuselege extension - new longer outer wings, engines, props and exhausts and vac form turret glazing and the large H2S dome. I substituted Aeroclub props and added a few bits and pieces such as the intake on the Starboard fuselage and aerials. I also bought Lincoln style fins and wheels. It was quite hard work, and my inability to saw straight did not help, but I have ended up with something resembling a Lincoln. Having used my one and only set of Aeroclub 20mm Hispanos in the nose of the Shack, I dispensed with the mid upper turret!

So after well over 30 years I have finally done it and am quite pleased with the result though looking at the above pic I think I may have to adjust the rear turret as it looks a bit "squiffy" to me.

Now all I have to do is finish my resin Manchester in the next 4 weeks and I have a full set!

Cheers, and thanks for looking.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 31

Here is my Avro York model built from the Mach2 kit with a couple of bits from the 1980 release of the Airfix Lancaster where the Mach2 parts are really not worth using. I used the parts from an a very cheap Lancaster buy a long time ago that had donated some parts to another project and so I used up something that might have gone to waste.

The model depicts MW285 used by No 1332 HCU that was renumbered as 241 OCU, the base being unchanged at Dishforth in what is now North  Yorkshire next to the A1 and A168. MW285 was built as a Long Range Freighter by Avro at Yeadon  (Leeds Bradford Airport today) in 1946 and spent all its active career with 241 OCU, including a spell in the Berlin Airlift. It went into store in late 1949 and was sold for scrap in 1952 and so had quite a short active life. 

The build thread is here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235068681-172nd-avro-york-of-241-ocu-mach-2-kit/

Not the worlds easiest build, but pleasantly surprised by some of the effort into the the kit to make sure it was not just an Airfix 1980 issue Lanc with a new fuselage. New wheels replaced the kit ones and the decals were home made apart from the roundels that came of an old Modeldecal sheet.

I hope you like it.

spacer.png

49864281472_9ce32e8b53_k_d.jpg

49864281242_df867b2f87_k_d.jpg

49863971871_6d97ce5434_k_d.jpg

49863437518_b192c657d5_k_d.jpg

• Like 31

Here is my build. 1/72 Hasegawa Lancaster B.I (Special).Not great, but not terrible. 

Kit built out of box with exception of Eduard Belts,Quickboost replacement barrels for tail turret, Barracudacast mainwheels, CMK Pilot’s seat and tailwheel.

Decals are a mix of Xtradecal, Kits World and RAFDEC.

Lancaster B I (Special) PD117 ‘YZ-L’
Lost 21 March 1945
(Op- Arbergen rail bridge near Bremen)

P· F/L B A Gumbley DFM RNZAF -KIA

F/E · F/O E A Barnett -KIA

Nav · F/O K Gill DFC CdG -KIA

BA· F/L J C Randon -KIA

RG · F/O G Bell -KIA

49877492292_6f6928b129_b.jpg 49877006663_499e8baa11_b.jpg 49877006798_7b82e955e0_b.jpg 49877544526_3bf560a984_b.jpg 49877006698_fa426fde51_b.jpg

Edited by Rafwaffe
  • Like 25

My Revell Lancaster from 1965 is now as done as I can get it.

A build that was not without its problems, the whole saga is detailed here...

Here's the model itself...

IMG-1574.jpg

IMG-1571.jpg

IMG-1563.jpg

IMG-1565.jpg

IMG-1566.jpg

• Like 29

Please find below, my completed Airfix Grand Slam Lancaster B.Mk.I (Special).

This aircraft served with No. 617 Squadron, RAF Woodhall Spa, March 1945

Many thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement along the way, it would never have been finished without you. I hope you like it.

Cheers Pat

IMG_4963

IMG_4964

IMG_4965

IMG_4967

IMG_4968

• Like 23

Avro Manchester prototype L7246 with original 80ft wingspan and 28ft tail. Model based on the 1/96 Frog Lancaster originally released in 1959. The conversion involved :grafting on outer wing panels from a 1/72 Matchbox B17, manufacture of entire engines and nose and tail fairings from Milliput, pull moulding a new canopy over the modified original canopy - and other bells and whistles. Hope you like it.

IMG_1366

IMG_1372

IMG_1367

IMG_1369

IMG_1377

• Like 23

Hi,

This is my build of the 1/72 resin kit of the Avro Manchester Mk I, produced by Planet Models a few years ago. I believe that they actually did 2 versions, one with the shorter 28ft span tail as in this build and one with the later 33ft tail which is the same as on the Manchester Mk III aka Lancaster. Planet provide two options - L7284 which is one of the first 20 built and had the ventral FN21 turret, and the slightly later L7427 which had the replacement FN7 dorsal turret. However the latter also had the 33ft span tail according to the majority of sources so cannot actually be built from this kit!

I have built L7284 and as it is such a rare sight I have modelled the ventral "dustbin" turret down although that would seldom be seen when on the ground.

DSC03091-crop

The aircraft served with 207 Squadron from November 1940 before moving to 61 Squadron the following April and later, in September 1942 it moved to 39 MU, being struck off charge in June 1943. According to @Dave Swindell it suffered a landing accident and was out of action for a while, and his source states that it only flew one operational sortie, which seems a bit strange but he says it was mostly used for conversion training. Anyway, here it is.

DSC03081-crop DSC03082-crop DSC03084-crop

It has not been the easiest of builds, but it certainly looks better than the one I made 45 years ago based on an article in Airfix Mag - the engines were carved from balsa wood and the rest came from my first of the original Airfix Lancaster mouldings.

Thanks for looking.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 24

Well, here is My Lancaster ASR III, I tried to take some better images but like a lot of things this year, it hasn't turned out as I expected! Base kit is the Revell Lancaster, with a Freightdog ASR conversion. In addition I used the Extradecal Post War Lancaster set, and Eduard canopy masks, paint was Vallejo air. This was my first group build and the largest Aeroplane kit I have completed since I joined the Army 42 years ago! When my Mojo for 1/35 armour evaporated I returned to 1/72 Aircraft, vowing to steer well clear of the mainstream Spitfires/Lancasters/Mosquitos that appear every day..............there seems to be a theme here about things not going as expected, so far I have built four spitfires, one Lanc, a Mosquito, a Tiffy and two Corsairs and have another eight Spitfires/Seafires, three Lancs, two Mozzies, a Tiffy and a Corsair all sitting awaiting my attention! But thats a horse of a different colour, having built my first Lanc in 42 years I have learned enough about the pitfalls of the Revell kit that my next one will be considerably better than this`un, not that I`m unhappy with it, but I know the areas that are below par, and more importantly, how to overcome them! Next time, I probably wouldn't bother with the Dihedral correction, because, as has already been mentioned on here, a fully fuelled Lancaster sitting on the ground would have an awful lot of weight in those wing tanks and we all know things bend under load! I would shorten the pilots raised deck and move him and his controls closer to the instrument panel, contrary to my expectations the canopy is excellent and a lot is visible, some PE enhancement has already been added to the stash for next time, this also includes the gubbins to sort out the turrets, in their OTB condition they seriously need improvement! I would fully assemble the canopy and attach it in one piece rather than front and rear as I did with this one to avoid the slight step. I would sort out the inboard engines exhausts, they protrude more than the outboard ones because they are intended to be fitted to the merlin engines included in the kit, I didn't use the engines, I just blanked off behind the cowling, My Bad! The kits carb intakes are poor and definitely need replacing, the Freightdog kit includes new intakes and the fuselage intake above the starboard wing, so aftermarket will be required next time, I will try a couple of brands and see what fits, also the kits main wheels are dreadful, the Freightdog ones on this are delightful so a few more pennies required there. I used Vallejo air to paint the kit, I have used this several times now, and I`m still not convinced, I read somewhere that there is a latex compound in it, which allows the paint to stretch which makes unmasking somewhat fraught and I have had some finish issues that I don't tend to get with Tamiya acrylic. Not that I`m about to ditch a pile Vallejo, but I shall be careful where I use it in future! Finally, Eduard Canopy masks, to paraphrase Baz Luhrman "If I could only offer you one tip for the future, Canopy Masks would be it, the long-term benefits of canopy masks have been proved by scientists, where as the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience"   

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 29

RCAF Lancaster Mk.10 

107 Rescue Unit, Torbay, Newfoundland. 1962.

Converted from the 1/96 scale Eastern Express (ex. FROG), B.1 kit.

P1110482.JPG

P1110486.JPG

Cheers

• Like 26

Lancaster B.Mk.III LM739 'GROGS the SHOT'

No. 100 Squadron

R.A.F. Elsham Wold April 1945

Here is my entry to the GB, built from the Revell kit with some PE for the interior along with a couple of bits of scratching, replacement resin wheels and gun barrels. I amended the radiator intakes slightly and the same with the wing dihedral. Overall not a bad kit at all but with some contentious shapes here and there; I chose to replace the mid upper turret and fairing with parts from the Airfix 'Dambuster' kit.  Weathered with oil paints and Tamiya powders.

The build thread is here:

49951791982_3c17158596_b.jpg

49951792517_8995ce3218_b.jpg

49950999758_ac9bcff182_b.jpg

49950999908_e14188090e_b.jpg

49950999693_d0170ba821_b.jpg

Many thanks to the Host and co-hosts and all the other participants for an excellent and informative GB.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 27

Sneaking in with a day to go, the Airfix Lancaster B1 (FE):

lanc-1.jpg

lanc-2.jpg

lanc-3.jpg

My thanks to everybody who helped by answering my questions along the way, with particular mention to @Rabbit Leader, @stever219, @vppelt68 and @PeterB - you all gave me invaluable advice and made this model far better as a result. 👍

• Like 25