Hanriot HD.2

Davek72

I freely admit to starting this build with a degree or trepidation...this is what I had in the stash that appeared to fit the GB specs:

49537941891_c1cfbe909e_b.jpg

and for some reason it was the Hanriot that jumped out.

I picked up the kit some time ago.  Its the weekend edition which means no PE to play with but still plenty of nice plastic and a surprisingly low parts count.  The only major issue for me is going to be rigging the damn thing.  As yet I have failed to rig a biplane with any success.    Lets see where we get to.

49568784982_719996b754_b.jpg

49568559371_6156eed469_b.jpg

49568559481_69dd2ceb6c_b.jpg

Not sure on the scheme yet but note that the US scheme is expressly stated to be the "US Navy" contingent in France  1918 (so must fit the GB) whilst the french scheme "Centre d'Aviation Maritime" Dunkerque 1917-1918 does not expressly state that it is a Navy unit.

Will go with the US scheme unless the mods say otherwise.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 7

Dave the frenchie is a navy bird so has the go ahead from me 👍🏻 I would love to see some french navel aviation in this GB if you up for it.

great to see a WWI subject in here as they are a bit light! However given your selection I think your mad to go with a bi plane, they scare me! 

Good luck!

Rob 

17 hours ago, rob85 said:

Dave the frenchie is a navy bird so has the go ahead from me 👍🏻 I would love to see some french navel aviation in this GB if you up for it.

great to see a WWI subject in here as they are a bit light! However given your selection I think your mad to go with a bi plane, they scare me! 

Good luck!

Rob 

Thanks Rob

I will certainly go for the French markings. 

I completely agree with you bi planes scare the crap out of me too.

Dave

17 hours ago, almac said:

Nice choice, something a bit different. Good luck.

Cheers Allan 

Cheers Allan.

• Haha 1

Right having had the go ahead on the French scheme I thought I'd post a picture of the markings.

49569475426_85593ca95d_b.jpg

For those of you with good eyesight you can read a bit of the background and unfortunate demise of this aircraft and its pilot.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 3

That is a very attractive scheme.

i have my first bi plane build ready to go in the Nordic GB, a little gladiator, looking forward to start it but it’s currently sat above a foot of water so may be delayed! I watch yours instead.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, rob85 said:

That is a very attractive scheme.

i have my first bi plane build ready to go in the Nordic GB, a little gladiator, looking forward to start it but it’s currently sat above a foot of water so may be delayed! I watch yours instead.

Rob

Sorry for the delay in replying.  Manic at work.  How is the water situation???  Hope you get to your build soon.

Dave

On 2/23/2020 at 7:54 PM, John D.C. Masters said:

This will be lovely.  I am looking forward to the build.

Thanks John.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 3:26 PM, limeypilot said:

If you can drill a hole and thread it, you can rig. Any questions please ask, I'll be happy to help out!

Ian

Much appreciated Ian.  You make it sound so easy 😉 

• Like 1

Quite a bit of progress.  The component parts are all built and everything went together rather nicely.  No real surprises there then.

49629066913_b57c447c07_b.jpg

Drilled a few holes for rigging.  I will no doubt find out that I have not drilled enough.

49629856297_f909fff6da_b.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Dave

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, rob85 said:

That’s some great progress, nice work.

water situation is much improved and I plan to crack on on my next day off, which I’m looking forward to.

Rob

Cheers Rob

Hope everything gets back to normal soon 

Dave

• Thanks 1

Ok I think I am done.  Thankfully the rigging was an exercise of slow and steady and ultimately no disasters.  Am intrigued about use of turnbuckles but that is for another day.

Using my sons Lego to build a jig.

49629856402_ba02daf31c_b.jpg

The rest of the pictures are of the finished model.  As always all comments welcome.

49634311871_7f3a08fbcf_b.jpg

49634582887_5cc2aa718d_b.jpg

49633788233_6dcc218ee5_b.jpg

49633788453_1b3504ac1c_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Dave

• Like 10

19 hours ago, rob85 said:

That’s a beaut, great subject, and finished brilliantly! Really nice work on the rigging.

Rob

Thanks Rob.  Now the big question is do I try and build another kit for this GB....

• Like 1

On 3/10/2020 at 8:10 AM, Andwil said:

Don’t let me stop you.....

AW

It’s tempting.   My son has however pointed out how many partly build kits I have on the go and suggested I might want to finish one of those first...observant 7 year old!

On 3/10/2020 at 10:01 PM, rob85 said:

There is a very easy answer to this question.....

True but see above post 😉

• Haha 2