A Mustang and a Thunderbolt

Good morning everyone

I’ve recently joined Britmodeller and this is the first of two recently completed 1/72 scale builds - well not really ‘builds’ as they were more ‘restoration’ projects!

A friend gave me the (Revell I believe) P-51B Mustang without propeller, canopy and landing gear, and in olive drab camouflage.  I used a spare Malcolm hood and a set of Techmod decals to recreate this Mustang III flown by Squadron Leader Eugeniusz Horbaczewski of 315 Squadron, RAF in June 1944.

p?i=24abc8d21e535afedb1fe698e71ccc98

spacer.png

The second aircraft is a restored Republic F-47N (P-47N until 1948) Thunderbolt of the 198th Fighter Squadron (Augmented), Puerto Rico Air National Guard, 1947-53. This model (probably Revell too) is a P-47M and also came in olive drab with a damaged undercarriage, missing canopy and propeller.  I used Blue Rider Aircraft decals, a Quickboost propeller and a Falcon canopy; I also used the project to experiment with Tamiya AS-12 Bare metal silver finish.  On a note of historical accuracy the subject aircraft - ‘Wild Hare’ 44-89425 which resides in the Peterson Air and Space Museum, Peterson AFB, Colorado - is a ’N’ version with slightly longer wing span (to hold more fuel for Pacific missions) while the kit I restored is an ‘M’ version.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Mike

• Like 22