Austrian Draken

Col.

Right gang, high time I got involved in some proper modelling rather than living vicariously through you lot, since we're well into this GB already I'm cheating somewhat with a part-started and long ignored project.

During the mid-90s I seen an Austrian Air Force J35O Draken in the static line-up at a Leuchers airshow (anyone remember them?) and took plenty photos of it. Around the same time I picked up a copy of Hasegawa's 72nd scale J35O kit at GTI Models in Aberdeen (some more nostalgia there for anyone familiar with that city in the 90s) then added an Eduard etched brass set to the mix and got started. Then the upstairs neighbour came home drunk one night and set fire to her flat. The resulting compound fire, smoke, and water damage wreaked almost everything I owned including the vast majority of my models and kit stash but this one was a survivor.

2020-01-25_02-36-53

Always been a fan of Koike Shigeo's artwork :wub: 

Anyway, here's the contents of the box and where we're at as of 25 years ago, Eduard gives a selection of cockpit details and new mainwheel bays that were added along with some scratch-build sidewalls for the RAT bay. There's also some extra decals in there courtesy of a fellow Britmodeller who sent me them many years ago.

2020-01-25_02-38-02

Here's the cockpit now...

2020-01-25_02-38-33

As you can see everything is dusty and will need a good wash before progress can continue.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 12

So good to finally see a @Col. build in this colossal GB. I’d hate to count how many words you’ve written prior to getting this one out, however something tells me the Airfix Workbench blogger would be most impressed by your lengthy penmanship! 

Sad to hear you lost a stash and built kits in a house fire, but hopefully you’ve recovered from that loss and have moved on from then. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the parts got a gentle loving wash to clean them up on Thursday night and then last night I clipped the two fuselage halves together and applied glue to the horizontal control sections before cutting them off. While that dried and set I glued together the two rear end parts and went about lining the inside of the tailpipe with plasticard to improve the look of it a bit.

2020-02-22_09-05-12

With that done I then spent the rest of the evening going through my reference books and magazines checking to see if the lower pair of airbrakes fall open or remain shut when the aircraft is parked up. Turns out they stay closed so think I can now get the fuselage halves together :) 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So good to finally see a @Col. build in this colossal GB. I’d hate to count how many words you’ve written prior to getting this one out, however something tells me the Airfix Workbench blogger would be most impressed by your lengthy penmanship! 

Sad to hear you lost a stash and built kits in a house fire, but hopefully you’ve recovered from that loss and have moved on from then. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

:lol: aye Dave it's been a busy one so far and not making any promises I'll get much progress made but got to try ;) 

Have to admit that was an interesting period in my life for all the wrong reasons but it did prove I had some good friends and my stash has certainly recovered in a big way over the years!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Col. said:

... I had some good friends and my stash has certainly recovered in a big way over the years!

Good to hear, both about the friends and especially the stash! 

• Like 1

nice project

I assume you are going fro an early, pre MkII upgrade J35Oe :)

no Winders then!

those decals are pretty good and the best out there I would say.. they are from IPMS Austria :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

nice project

I assume you are going fro an early, pre MkII upgrade J35Oe :)

no Winders then!

those decals are pretty good and the best out there I would say.. they are from IPMS Austria :)

Thank you Werner :)

The example I seen was what I take to be a post-update machine with 'winder pylons, big upper-wing numbers, chaff/flare dispensers(?), and the new fin cap. Although I'll take any guidance you can offer me on that matter.

2020-02-22_07-47-39

2020-02-22_07-49-13

2020-02-22_07-49-41

While the kit provides for an early example it does include the 'winder pylons and I'm confident I can scratch the other modifications. Those extra decals give me the overwing numbers but sadly I'm lacking the two badges on the left side of the fin as their pervious owner had used them on his own model and I can't find another source so may have to subdue my ambitions and finish her as Hasegawa intended :( 

• Like 5

...and finally he shows up!!!! :dull:  About time too, and about time you finished that project as well by the looks of it!!!

OMG I've never seen so much dust and grime on a model, it must have well a truly been hidden under everything in the shelf of doom. Gosh there might be old treasure hidden amongst those bits! :D

Hopefully someone her might be able to help out with this missing decals, as it looks to be a nice scheme.

Right no more messing about, yo have a model to finish......and I want to see it in the gallery to! :fight:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hi, if you scratch those details I am fine ;)

Chaff/flare dispensers and RWR on fin tip came from retired Danish examples... so either scratch them, find a correct Danish examples and rob them or buy IPMS Austria update set...

Regarding the decals, what exactly do you need?

The pylon adapters are also different. The kit ones have a fairing for maybe a nitrogen bottle, the wing ones as Austrians used do not. (Aim-9P versions?)

I'd have a look what I still have in 72nd......

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

...and finally he shows up!!!! :dull:  About time too, and about time you finished that project as well by the looks of it!!!

OMG I've never seen so much dust and grime on a model, it must have well a truly been hidden under everything in the shelf of doom. Gosh there might be old treasure hidden amongst those bits! :D

Hopefully someone her might be able to help out with this missing decals, as it looks to be a nice scheme.

Right no more messing about, yo have a model to finish......and I want to see it in the gallery to! :fight:

Aye aye aye, someone has to keep the gang in line while you're swanning about building boats :rolleyes:

A lot of that dirt was smoke damage but it's washed off now :) 

10 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Excellent choice Col, the Draken is (deservedly) proving to be a popular choice for this GB.

They look very smart in the Austrian grey camo scheme, although the massive bright numbers on the wings kind of counter any attempt at camouflage.

Thanks fella. I thought so as well and it stood out in a line-up of grey jets that included a MiG-29, F-4F, and Viggen :D 

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

Hi, if you scratch those details I am fine ;)

Chaff/flare dispensers and RWR on fin tip came from retired Danish examples... so either scratch them, find a correct Danish examples and rob them or buy IPMS Austria update set...

Regarding the decals, what exactly do you need?

The pylon adapters are also different. The kit ones have a fairing for maybe a nitrogen bottle, the wing ones as Austrians used do not. (Aim-9P versions?)

I'd have a look what I still have in 72nd......

Thank you Werner. Been intending to scratch-build the update parts ever since starting this project but now thinking to add a set of Master pitot probes in the mix so will take a look for the IPMS Austria set... Thanks for warning me about the pylon differences as well :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

...Regarding the decals, what exactly do you need?

It's the two badges in front of and above the tail number I'm lacking, as seen in these photos...

12 hours ago, Col. said:

2020-02-22_07-49-13

2020-02-22_07-49-41

...also not loving the 'almost white' of Hasegawa's national marking roundels but short of buying a complete sheet of Austrian Air Force roundels for the two wing ones I'll have to go with what I've got :shrug:

• Like 1

Right, enough gibbering, @trickyrich(AKA The Boss, but not THE BOSS as that's @Enzo Matrix) demands progress.

Back in the day I'd corrected the fuselage spine to better represent the O version as Hasegawa didn't bother for the 72nd scale kit. Filled the holes and cut in the vent louvers on the right side. Still to add the left side square section intake but that's only another job on the list,

2020-02-22_09-50-30

Last night I had a think about the jet pipe and decided it needed to be better. When looking up the jetpipe there's a distinct lip where one section fits into another. In order the represent that I found an old 48th scale F-4 Phantom drop-tank...

2020-02-22_09-52-41

...then hacked it up and abused it with a file...

2020-02-23_08-18-57

...to fit inside the tail section...

2020-02-23_08-20-18

Also glued the fuselage halves together and removed the wing root section to add some detail later,

2020-02-23_08-18-12

• Like 7

Quite possibly the most dramatic build intro that I've ever read Col, but good to see that the Draken (of course!), survived the fire.

It's looking good already, with some nice extra touches :)

Cheers

• Thanks 1

I'm surprised the glue is still holding it all together after all this time.

....and another poor drop tank bit's the dust...the poor old drop tank gets used for all sorts of other things rather than it's original.

Nice to see you've finally start.....now Capt. Pugwash is off to play with his boat!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2020 at 11:22 AM, CliffB said:

Quite possibly the most dramatic build intro that I've ever read Col, but good to see that the Draken (of course!), survived the fire.

It's looking good already, with some nice extra touches :)

Cheers

Haha thanks Cliff. The Draken was one of 4 models I'd been working on and a small stash of kits that were on or under my workbench which survived remarkably unscathed in the far corner of my room given the sheer devestation wrecked on everything else :shrug:

On 2/23/2020 at 4:58 PM, modelling minion said:

Excellent progress Col, that piece of Phantom drop tank has really made a difference to the look of the exhaust.

Thanks fella. It's only taken me about 25 years to think up a method so glad it worked out alright :lol: 

On 2/23/2020 at 10:33 PM, trickyrich said:

I'm surprised the glue is still holding it all together after all this time.

....and another poor drop tank bit's the dust...the poor old drop tank gets used for all sorts of other things rather than it's original.

Nice to see you've finally start.....now Capt. Pugwash is off to play with his boat!

Is that me or the model you're talking about Rich!?! :unsure:

Don't worry about that drop-tank, it would have at best spent the remains of its days hung hidden under the belly of a Phantom, here it's already gone to represent the hot end of a Draken and the pointy bit will become the radome of another project some day ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Finally got the hot end onto the main fuselage after painting the inside matt black and drybrushing with gunmetal then creating the wingroot detail that's exposed when the horizontal controls are dropped. Fit wasn't perfect but all my hacking about back there may not have helped its cause,

2020-02-26_07-52-48

With the forward fuselage join smoothed down the intakes were added and again the fit was less than perfect but nothing horrific.

2020-02-26_07-53-27

Next step will be to butcher the back end and get some scratch-built chaff/flare dispensers fitted.

• Like 13

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

now that's looking better...the model not you...think you're past hope! :tease:

Oh why do you seek to hurt me so with your harsh words :crying: Ah wait, that's me you're talking about and not the Draken, fair comment then :clown:

Finally found the courage to get a bit medieval and butcher the back end of an otherwise perfectly good kit to better represent the added chaff/flare boxes after checking my own photos and those in my reference book,

2020-03-01_12-53-11

While in the area I also filled in the slot I'd foolishly cut into the starboard wingroot and drilled it out to properly mimic the configuration of holes I can clearly see in my own photos that I failed to check earlier.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Coming on nicely Col, I'll look forward to seeing it done after all this time. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve. So am I :lol: 

• Haha 1

Well, as an Austrian it would be rude not to comment on your build 😁

You've already dug deep into the build as I can see. I don't know if you need any more sources but I'll add them here anyway:

Link 1: A build of the Hasegawa Draken with the IPMS Austria Mk.II upgrade resin set

Link 2: A 4 part build of the Hasegawa Draken (albeit in 1/48) which might be useful for details

Link 3: Walkaround of a few J35Oe Mk.IIs

Regarding the decals, there is an Austrian company which does them (incl. the "Lion of Aspern" and "Styrian coat of arms" decal you need: https://www.brent-air-decals.at/jets

Hope this helps!

Markus

• Like 1