Micro-Mir KhAI-3 blue.

dalea

While pursuing the Blue theme raised by Pinback re the P-6E, I noted the paucity of photos of this aircraft on the net, all in  B&W, naturally. There are photos on the net of models in Yellow (bleached linen , I presume) and light grey (faded linen, I presume) and red. Our own Andrew S has a beautiful example which follows Micro- Mir's painting instructions. Can anyone confirm the Blue or is this modern Ukrainian patriotism in an aversion to anything Red?

Hello dalea

Unfortunately, I cannot neither confirm nor deny any of possible Khai-3 colour schemes. However, blue wings on Micro-Mir kit may not be a modern day invention. Here are drawings of Khai-1, published in Technika-molodezhi magazine in September 1978, found on this webpage.

a09.jpg

Drawings of blue trimmed Khai-1 has been published elsewhere and later this aircraft also sported blue nose, engine cowling and wing leading edges. All these does not necessarily apply to Khai-3, however it does show that blue had been used on Khai aircraft at the time. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1