Microsoft FS2020 WOW

One 48

Just noticed this sub forum here, cool.

Up and coming flight sim from Microsoft who seem to have gotten serious about one of their oldest franchises again ... its even older than their Windows operating systems apparently.

Got lucky, got into the Alpha test about a month ago, its OK to say that but cant give specifics due to NDA, but looking at some officially released trailers we are all in for a treat if you like this kinda Flight Simulation.

It has the prospect of being absolutely ground breathtakingly stunning and a long needed boost to the series.

So many good official early approved video's out there now of FS2020 ... it all certainly seems to be going in the right direction, have submitted some screenshots from the Alpha to MS for approval, if they get used for public consumption will post here.

Not my Vid, but an early approved one ... WOW, just WOW, lot to digest here, long video and a lot to see and hear, so feel free to scroll back and forth for the juicy parts :)

• Like 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator back from the dead?! That is good news! This is the first flight simulator I ever 'flew' on, back in university in 1984. I kept up with its various iterations until Microsoft quit developing it, for good, or so I thought. It will be interesting to see what happens with this programme.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Slight correction.
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I got it up and running this week. Having seen various trailers, I was ready to be disappointed as on always is, but it really is good. It’s got a lot of development needed yet, but what you get out of the box so to speak is leaps ahead of everything else. I got a new 32” 1440p monitor too and between them, it’s a great investment for a winter lockdown. Adding scenery is straight forwards too. I added some Orbx airfields, they blend in perfectly with the surrounding scenery.

• Like 1

Glad you are liking it Woody.

Its early days yet for the sim, there is a long roadmap of stuff to add for the sim, like VR, Helicopters, DX12 and much more, but Microsoft have committed to supporting this for next ten years or so they say and this time (unlike MS Flight) allowing third party devs on board, even freeware developers, the futures looking good for this sim.

• Like 2

I'm running it since end of August, and while it really was a pain the backside in the beginning - it didn't start until I set up the entire PC again, tinkering around with drivers, then needed a new joystick - it's rather stable now.

Also, the community seems to grow and quite some aftermarket sceneries are already available. Planes not that much, only an additional Mooney M20, so far, but my guess is there will be more soon. Sceneries are added rather fast, and in general the flightsim community seems to adopt it rather quickly. Helicopters are not available, but MS commited to add this in later updates.

What's an issue is that Hardware is rare quite now, so if you fancy some yoke and don't have one yet, it's patience. But better grab a cheap in-between stick than flying with keyboard. That's useless. 

But the experience is overwhelming, and the pictures on thenet show the pure beauty of flying. 

Me waits for some DH Moth to fly around Europe - no one in sight, but one may dream. In the meantime it's Cessnas here and if I fance some old stuff, Imove to Rise Of Flight. 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like some warbirds are coming.  No idea how good these are or cost.

https://flyingironsimulations.com/

Here you can see the IX Spitfire and the 3d printed control column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQyJNLBbkY&feature=emb_logo

I think that they want to move to DX12 eventually with VR support soon. I wonder if this will kill off Sturmovik and DCS once the list of aircraft increases?

Great thing about being on a budget, is that you get to be a late adopter and let everyone else work out the bugs.  HAHA! 

I will eventually build a new system that can handle VR, but I think that I will wait until the next AMD release next year. I refuse/will NOT get an occulus.  No way will I give Facebook anymore data than I absolutely have to and since I don't use FB, that's that.

Edit: Doesn't look like you can shoot anything yet, but how long will that take? 

Edited by NoSG0
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoSG0 said:

I wonder if this will kill off Sturmovik and DCS once the list of aircraft increases?

I doubt it. I'm not particularly clued up on this stuff but I gather that the big limitation with combat aircraft in non-combat flight sims is always weapons - getting a model designed purely to handle aircraft flight mechanics to deal with bullet trajectories, combat damage etc. is a serious challenge!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 5:19 PM, NoSG0 said:

I wonder if this will kill off Sturmovik and DCS once the list of aircraft increases?

I doubt it too. To be honest, I bought MSFS first before I knew DCS existed, and now I'm a paid-up DCS WW2 fanboy. Even discounting the fact that it's a bona-fide combat sim, it just feels more real to fly. Several of the default MSFS planes really disappointed me with their complete uncrashability, even refusing to stall or spin. The minute I jumped in a Spit in DCS and failed miserably - first at getting the thing started and then doing a simple circuit without piling it into nearby trees - I was hooked on the seat-of-your-pants, oh-poo-poo-you-actually-need-to-practice challenge.

Obviously MSFS will improve and there's no doubt it is drop-dead gorgeous, but unless MS creates a new standalone combat sim, with weapons and ground units, attendant AI etc., not to mention collision and damage modelling, DCS and the less-realistic IL-2 will be the way forward for combat. 

Edited by burncpt

I'm not even sure MSFS 2020 will kill off Xplane (for hardcore simmers anyway).

The flight dynamics in MSFS are completely wrong, the aircraft don't feel real at all and are too easy to fly. Xplane 11 feels vastly more realistic. 

MSFS 2020 has STUNNING graphics though. I feel that it's aimed more at the casual user given the superb graphics but less focus on flight dynamics. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Big UK Scenery Focus update 4 due tomorrow (Tuesday 16th Feb) usually goes live 5PM to 7PM GMT time, its been delayed a couple of times but tomorrows release seems firm, apart from UK scenery focus, its a fairly major update too, so fingers and toes crossed here it fixes more than new but inevitable bugs are introduced.

Agree with some comments in thread, the Sim was released too early, was on the Alpha/Beta test, was surprised when they gave its early release date at that time, expected it to be much later considering its condition of announcement ... that's bean counters for ya though, they need to see money pouring in ASAP ... shrugs.

Anyway, we have what we have, its a developing sim and so long as MS do not dump it early like other ones again, this could and should mature very nicely indeed IMHO. Own all the major ones ... even still fly FSX for the odd fun Mission with DX10 fixer.

Invested a lot in my FS rig in last few months, moved from Intel to Ryzen 5950X and no regrets in all I do Flight Simulation wise, DCS ETC, also a good Zotac RTX3090 24GB, card is stock clocks and I refuse to pay Asus tax, it has a 5 year warranty, still cost me £1600 when the release RRP was £1400 but sold out in seconds ... I kid you not, they sold out in a couple of minutes the entire RTX 3090 and 3080 UK allocation, still hard to buy apparently? so glad I have my dream build now and tweaked to my satisfaction for 4K flying and good frame rates.

Also, tomorrow will be receiving Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant I won on Ebay for over the odds ... again, hardware is scarce just now for even FS controllers,  have their Yoke and good TM TPR modded rudder pedals, with tomorrows MS FS 2020 UK focus patch, its my Christmas come a bit late at last ... I'll be to busy flying to be on here for a while to indulge Scale Model wise.

Happy Virtual Flying all and Scale Modelling too.

Edited by One 48
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lots of demand for GPU's.  Seems there is another mining recovery?

I saw one video on youtube showing the miners are using stacks of laptops to mine.  These used laptops will be well worn and then dumped on the used market.

I would not get a new high end GPU unless it is critical i.e. Business/ design school.

• Like 1

Hi NoSG0

You are correct, the miners have never really went away, but the problem is a bit less severe now regarding them, its more a manufacturing problem because of shortage of folk able to work due to Covid, the Far East factory's are overloaded trying to keep up with demand, it was difficult buying my CPU, was prepared, new when to be online and had several browsers open for several stores when trying to buy my AMD Ryzen 5950X, but the second of launch time, OcUK froze solid with demand, Scan.UK my order was chugging but their site was holding up ... just, couple of other sites crashed with demand too, tabbed back to Scan and let the whirly gif do its thing, eventually ... about 5 mins later hit buy button when it allowed me, more minutes of slowness and my order was confirmed ... or so I thought I was like 200 something in the que ... Bots got in first and we all saw those early CPU's and GPU's go on sale almost immediately on Ebay and places for double the price ... shrugs ... got my Ryzen 5950X CPU early December though in the wait from Scan ... £750 ish, Overclockers ... i call them over gougers LOL were charging a good £100 more ... tried same for my RTX 3090 GPU, had to wait a little, got a tip from a friend, Ebuyer had a couple of Zotac RTX3090's in stock, never typed so fast in my life, but got one for £1600 when it should have been £1400 if things were more normal ... I know its a lot of money but for 4K gaming Flight simming, being an ex disabled Motorcyclist sitting inside all day with Covid lock down, good pension from old job ETC, could afford it in my instance and this FS hobby certainly helps keep me sane ... I understand what you say though ... for me ... I wanted it BAD and I tried and paid over the odds and got it, it was still hard work though :)

I only seriously upgrade every three years, it was my time to do it!

Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant arriving today, again, early units snapped up fast, many entrepreneurs buying several and selling on Ebay ... I let a few slide, looked at the bigger picture, they were selling fast, got mine for £500 plus when in an ideal world and enough could be produced to meet demand, the RRP would be slightly less than £300 ... its not an ideal world or situation just now so paid the extra and I'll post up pics of my FS set up later today when it arrives, already have the Honeycomb Yoke, good pedals and a multitude of other FS gear ... FS UK big patch too ... its gonna be a good day :)

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

That throttle quadrant looks pretty nice.    You really did have a bit of fun getting those parts didn't you?  I've read posts on other forums about how the shopper had the GPU/part in their cart, and by the time they input the payment/shipping info, it had been snapped up.  I imagine by a bot. 

The scalpers/gougers. Meh.    Double the price was madness. 

I saw on the sturmovik forum that someone created a benchmark mission for that game.  The 5950X looks to be performing well.  Hope it does as well for you in your sim.

Enjoy your new hardware and have fun most of all!  🙂

• Like 1

Downloaded it as well and interested to see Liverpool as it was my local airport. Really good piece of software, I'm looking forward to some more in depth aircraft from PMDG, FS Labs and QW to round out the experience as that is what is missing for me at the moment. The included airliners are OK, but still very lacking in depth functionality. Mind you, the MD-11 from TFDi will hopefully make it to the platform as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Greg B said:

Downloaded it as well and interested to see Liverpool as it was my local airport. Really good piece of software, I'm looking forward to some more in depth aircraft from PMDG, FS Labs and QW to round out the experience as that is what is missing for me at the moment. The included airliners are OK, but still very lacking in depth functionality. Mind you, the MD-11 from TFDi will hopefully make it to the platform as well.

Yep Greg, more a GA kinda flyer myself, but will be keen to buy what PMDG have to offer in the future, A2A too 👍

That is a very nice setup.  Looks to be the Bee's knees.

I was looking at that bridge and thinking of the scene from piece of cake the series with  the Spitfire and the bridge.  Now do that in VR(though I do not think VR is 100% there yet) would be awesome

• Like 1

Very interesting. I love that YouTube video. It's as close to real flight as I've ever seen. 

I remember once not so long ago looking out and seeing the scenery below and thinking that's practically high definition. Then I realised it was because I was in the real thing. That kind of happens at times when you fly. You can forget that this is real because you become a little separated from reality. 

I like a sim that makes you believe it's real. 

But there's nothing like the real thing. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1