My ST:TMP Drydock Flyby Tribute

I've finally put together a video of my Enterprise in Drydock. It took several tries and several reshoots of certain scenes, but it's all together now. This is my version of the flyby scene in ST:TMP minus the dialog and intercuts with the travel pod. I had to extend some of the shots to fill in those gaps. I could insert the scenes to combine my footage with the movie, but the video is primarily about the Drydock model.  Also because of the size of my video shooting equipment I added a different of the shot by filming it from a different angle. I also had to match the scenes to specific parts of the musical score.

This is my personal homage to one of the greatest filming miniatures ever made for the big screen: The Star Trek: The Motion Picture Drydock and of coarse the DeBoers Refit Enterprise model. To make this video, I tried to match as many of the same camera angles that were the movie as possible.  There's no dialog except for a little treat at the end to finish the video clip off with.

The flyby video was filmed using a JVS Everio HD camcorder and was mounted on a Andoer camera dolly track system. The video was edited together using Wondershare Filmora9 editing system. Some of the shots where accomplished by mounting a selfie-stick to the camera dolly to get into the more cramped areas of the dock. Most everything was shot against a black velvet background, except for the long shots. I just didn't have enough velvet material to do this. I just had to hide the source lighting out of camera view and film with the room totally dark, except for the models own lighting. The long shots didn't come out as clear as I wanted, but as we zoom into the model for the closer shots, the details become very clear. I would have loved to add all of the  work bees, travel pods and space walkers into the shots, but that will have to wait for some time in the future when I have the ability and time to do all of that. This was never meant to be the high quality Cinemamatic version of this now famous scene in the movie, but rather a way to show off the model. I hope you enjoy the video. Sorry about the long intro, but I needed something to fill in the beginning. Jerry Goldsmith's theme just has to be played in it's entirety. Also ear-buds or headphones are recomended for an awesome viewing experience. (click the youtube link below)

https://youtu.be/4ted2Sau4KA

Likes and comments are welcome.

Mark

http://www.NemVia.org

• Like 8

On 2/22/2020 at 3:09 AM, spejic said:

The lighting really made this look epic. There are moments you could really believe this is the ship itself and not a model.

Thanks my friend.... that's all I wanted to hear.....

On 2/23/2020 at 2:31 AM, Tomjw said:

How about posting some photographs of the finished product in this thread?

Cheers,

Tom

That will come soon. Although I was able to shoot the model on video, there are still some final touches to be added to the display base which need to be fixed before I post the final pics.

Thanks for the comments, Tom and spejic.

Mark

20 hours ago, NemVia said:

That will come soon. Although I was able to shoot the model on video, there are still some final touches to be added to the display base which need to be fixed before I post the final pics.

Thanks for the comments, Tom and spejic.

Mark

Looking forward to seeing them. 

Cheers,

Tom

I had to copy and post the link to make it work?

It was however, well worth it. Very impressive stuff. I love all the little details and greeblies. The music adds to it and so to does that little clip from the film.