Sleeper Tries Again. Bolly III stalled build revived.

SleeperService

With a nod to @Mjwomack I've dug this failed attempt out of the Boxes of Doom.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is the ancient Sanger Blenheim IV in 1/48. It was intended for the Maritime Patrol GB but then I discovered that it never flew any missions while attached to 5 (BR) Squadron RCAF so that was that. I also realised that my attempted fuselage corrections had been way off the mark so it went into the Four Boxes of Doom.

It will be the one and only Bollingbroke III floatplane. A rather lovely aircraft actually improved by being given big boots. The other reason for building it is to ensure that Airfix announce a 1/48 Blenheim IV at Telford this November.

I've spent a couple of days splitting the fuselage, widening it and fitting the nose section. The wings have been worked on too and all is being sanded and shaped. I will post the fruits of this effort when I can take it out of the airing cupboard and remove the jig holding it all firmly in place.

The wings have been a 'challenge' but were finally forced to conform. That seemed like a good reason to pause to me.

• Like 5

Howdy People!

After a bit longer than I thought I can report progress. The styrene vs MEK challenge has resulted in a styrene victory and everything lines up which is a bonus :D

spacer.png

spacer.png

Don't be fooled by the second picture she is all square and true although the tailplane ends need a bit of work.

Forewarned by @woody37's build HERE I checked the wing profiles and found that the inner wings (only) were better upside down, so each wing became 6 pieces. I also removed the section that formed the wing root fairing and the bit inside the fuselage halves.

Turning to the fuselage and using the Airfix Mk I as a guide I split my first attempt added the chunk of black plastic card to get the width right and made the fuselage deeper along it's whole length. I was quite pleased that when the wings were added the span was spot on, much relief. Second good point was making the turret opening and that looked much better than the first attempt.

The eagle eyed among you will spot the missing tail fin. Well TBH it's not one of the kit's better points being very fat and rather undersize. My attempt to improve it simply proved that a scratch replacement would be easier. We shall see.

Considering the age of the moulds I'm quite pleased with the kit despite the aforementioned issues. The plastic is thick enough to work on easily, the transparent mouldings are good, and a vacform will teach/remind you of much about the hobby. 

Next is the engine nacelles, interior bits, and I'd better get started on the floats. Thanks for looking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

An outstanding choice, I've never seen one of these built let alone a floaty one !

Have you got metal parts with this one ?

Good luck

Cheers Pat 

Thank You kind Sir!

Metal parts are included but I've decided that it will be easier to scratch replacements rather than work on the metal. This is doubly so as the Bolly I has a Mk I Blenheim cockpit. Following builds on here including yours has taught me a lot and my stubbornness will get me the rest of the way ;) Your attention will be a great boost too. Thank You   

• Like 1

Did you get a chance to make any progress over the weekend  ?

What are you going to use for floats, or are you making your own ?

This is going to look the business, with you all the way. 😁

cheers Pat 

On 2/27/2020 at 6:19 PM, woody37 said:

This looks like some kind of S&M activity compared to the injection moulded alternative available 🤣

You're raving mad, but I'm with you on the journey :)

Says the man who battered Sanger's Short Stirling into submission..

12 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Did you get a chance to make any progress over the weekend  ?

What are you going to use for floats, or are you making your own ?

This is going to look the business, with you all the way. 😁

cheers Pat 

All will be revealed below

spacer.png

Well the nacelles will need some more work but they're already better than they were, yes really. I thought I'd got the trailing edges straight but it looks like they need more lurve too.

spacer.png

The rear fuselage sides don't quite match but that can be dealt with. I just need to find that article about 'Chainsaw applications for scale model builders'. Yes there is an 'issue' with the port wing root filler delivery booked for Thursday :D Note that Airfix bomb bay piece...

spacer.png

...which fitted as it should. Pure luck (he said just in case it all goes horribly, horribly wrong. The lower nacelles look much better here than they do in person rather like many 'celebrities' in fact, is this kit a 'resting actor'? It was about this point I made an earlier error much worse. See how fragile the nose piece looks? Then I added 15thou ribs - because I'm an idiot. That area has been reattached three times already. In the rear the floats are in early stages of construction...

spacer.png

@JOCKNEY As you can see they are built using that most versatile product 'scratch'. Most of the formers are from the offcuts pile and plenty of reinforcement under the strut mount points.

• Like 4

Oh, where can I buy this 'scratch'? My LHS had none left and I need a boatload of it for some projects 😄

Well, you really go "all-in" with this build, aren't you? Vacform kit plus scratch built floats and details, what's not to like?

Markus

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Oh, where can I buy this 'scratch'? My LHS had none left and I need a boatload of it for some projects

Thank You.

It seems to be in short supply at the moment. A friend found some in a local craft shop so might be worth looking around :D

Hi Peeps

So how is this monster doing I hear you ask. Well progress and a step back, first the piccies

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's pretty poor progress you shout (quite correctly) but it's not as bad as it seems. the turret area was cleaned up inside and got a coat of dark interior green that I mixed yonks ago. The fuselage bottom is in and on round three of the filler,sand,check,repeat game. Me and Sushi the SuperCat will both be happy when it's done. The floats are awaiting trimming of the side pieces, nacelles cut to the correct length, and the Airfix bomb bay doors are fitted. Now the reason(s) why so little done;

The front fuselage had been refitted for the third time and hacking the bomb bay area knocked it off yet again. Ho Hum.

As the Airfix part was a late addition my modifications in that area meant much collateral damage - the downside of restarting an old project after a shiny new kit has been released. Don't be like SleeperService folks!

A careful check of the airframe has revealed several more areas needing attention which I hope to have resolved by the next report. Then I can get on with the cockpit great! and mounting the floats Eek! As I don't want to revisit that bit I may make them removable. That may be a bad idea. Executive decision made - I'll think about it later :D  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great progress 

Don't forget you might need some weight in the floats to stop it being a tail sitter ?

Just a thought. 

cheers Pat 

You must be a genius too as I was thinking the same thing. The bottom of the floats can be opened if needed and suitably ballasted. At the moment I'm busily converting a tube of filler to dust. After only a week I can see some process down to the Highlands after starting with the Alps :D

However in a stunning development I'm starting to get the reference stuff together for my next build BEFORE I start it. The world is stunned. As you've commented elsewhere I do have a 'peculiar' eye for beauty.

• Haha 1

Greetings All.

SleeperCentral is at DefCon1 due to the coronavirus thingy and it's Friday the 12+1th. Defence enabled up to adding milk to tea for guests before the hot water 😮 I drink coffee :D

So where are we? Well much sanding, slightly less filler, about the same amount of primer and a big box of determination have resulted in a smooth(er) model that isn't quite all there anymore. Towit

spacer.png

spacer.png

Front end of cockpit AWOL? Check

Twisted cockpit sides possibly related to above? Check

Tailplanes confirmed out of wack? Check

Tailplane misalignment Investigation Report;

'Upon being called in by the BritModeller Department of Honesty and Truth it was immediately apparent that claims made on 27 February Inst (Post #4 above offered as Exhibit 1) were completely false. Under severe questioning the defendant claimed that the asymmetric rear fuselage had caused an unavoidable mistake to be made. However despite this being unavoidable he failed to repeat the error despite being given much encouragement (Sic). An independent expert subsequently examined the model replica (Exhibit 2) and ascertained that not only was the tailplane misaligned but the asymmetric rear fuselage had not been completely addressed. In mitigation it is obvious that the model-maker is a fool and there has been much improvement in the overall shape. The model maker now sees the error of his ways and has agreed a deadline for these errors to be completely rectified. The DoHaT will monitor the situation and if properly resolved sees no need for further action in this matter. However any further offence will result in this being considered in the Department's decision at that time.'

A bit more rework then :fraidnot:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, just claim you have a black hole in the neighborhood. If it can distort space itself than for sure that's the reason for your Bolli's tail our of wack (for sure it has ingested the front cockpit too? Bad black hole, very bad black hole!) 🤣

Markus

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Well, just claim you have a black hole in the neighborhood. If it can distort space itself than for sure that's the reason for your Bolli's tail our of wack (for sure it has ingested the front cockpit too? Bad black hole, very bad black hole!) 🤣

Markus

Sounds reasonable to me.

Chris

• Like 2

On 3/18/2020 at 12:12 AM, Shorty84 said:

Markus

A very naughty black hole. But by putting the Bolly on the other side things are much better :D

Proper update to follow but as of now I'm happy with the fuselage/wing/engine nacelles structure. Now I can start doing the stuff I enjoy. Keep safe everybody :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When will Iearn to keep my big mouth shut? :doh:However I am marking the day that I call the structure work done and move on. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

A bit of work needed on the leading edge but that'll keep for later.

Before I go any further I must acknowledge my fellow human beings who have been such a great help. THIS THREAD got me thinking Bolly thoughts and had some great images now gone though. The Blenheim question thread HERE has been very useful and will continue to be so.  Still complete with images THIS ONE has a lot of good stuff and big Thanks to @dogsbody for the cockpit shots. Oh and separately @John Aero for his help and advice on floats and plans. For general support THIS ONE is good while HERE are some useful notes for all Blenheim fans.

There's also the walkrounds here on BM and my one 'must have' book is the Haynes Blenheim Manual. Not one of the best they do but well worth the £5 it cost delivered after a thread in the Bargains section here. If I've forgotteen anybody please give me a nudge, same applies if you wish to be distanced from my fumbling efforts :D

Now I've got this far I think it's on the run so I will keep up the pursuit. Once the work area has been cleaned of dust, bits of abrasive, and the standby hammer I'll get to the good stuff both here and on Mr COD Gannet which has languished for too long.

Thanks for following,

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pat :)

Having come close to hammering the Gannet to death I've spent a better session cleaning the inside of the fuselage ready for the internal structure and then the glazing openings. I'm rather nervous about this stage but it has to be done.

Another long put-off job has been done with my getting the stash into the flat, all the part-builds sorted, and a shopping list for required bits assembled. Some think I just throw together these GB fails :D but no they are meticulously planned (he lied).

• Haha 2