Eduard Albatross D.II (LVG) 1/48

This is my second completed kit of the year, the Albatross D.II by Eduard.  I have built quite a few of their WWI kits and I have to say I this they are great.  This was my first attempt at a wood grain finish on the fuselage and I think it came out nicely.  I added Eduard seatbelts and used Uschi's high stretch elastic rigging thread.  If not for this thread I think I would have thrown in the towel on building WWI aircraft long ago.  Also, I used Gas Patch anchors for the rigging but I am not happy with the results but it was my own fault - I should have thought out the order of attaching them as they went in too early in the process and it is difficult to open those holes up again.   I don't normally weather my WWI aircraft, no particular reason except I like the bright colors so I just leave them as they are.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Harold55
Added Tag
  • Like 24

Beautiful job. Particularly nice to see the less frequent D.II. I have the 2007 Profi edition of this kit in my stash. Was the original 2001 release boxing Profi? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bigglesof266 said:

Beautiful job. Particularly nice to see the less frequent D.II. I have the 2007 Profi edition of this kit in my stash. Was the original 2001 release boxing Profi? 

This was the original boxing, kit #8080 which was not a profi-pack.  No photo-etch but there are masks.  

• Like 1

That's a wonderful model with very credible wood-graining, which can be an art form all on its own. Don't beat yourself up about the rigging. I've just completed 3 of Eduard's German WW1 subjects and made a right pig's ear of the rigging on one of these which meant stripping all the rigging down and starting again, with all the accompanying frustrations of drilling/filling holes and various patch-ups on the paintwork. By comparison, yours looks pristine. Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Harold55 said:

This was the original boxing, kit #8080 which was not a profi-pack.  No photo-etch but there are masks.  

Thanks. I have the Sopwith F.1 Camel from the same early Eduard era plainer boxing, but it is a ProfiPACK (sic) hence the question.  Segmentation wasn't as immediately obvious from the boxing schemes then, or if it was, not familiarly so to me.

Also have their #1139 2009 boxing Limited Edition Fokker D.VII Sieben Schwaben. I really must build it. Agree with the former poster about biplane rigging. I'm always in awe of those who have seemingly perfected it, recognising and acknowledging the fact that their technique like the result is born of industry making it all the more admirable.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...