Hasegawa 1/48 SH-3H Seaking. Convert to Royal Navy HC4

LaurieS

Oooo, a Sea King build, and I'm in at the start, lovely jubly! I'm normally 1/72 mostly but getting a calling from this scale through a commission build I'm doing in 1/48.

I'm all eyes.....

Terry

• Like 1

If I might make an observation and suggestion - I noticed your Afghan cab has the 'old-style' metal blades as supplied in the kit, rather than either the composite ones that replaced them, or, more correctly, Carson blades as fitted to the aircraft whilst in-theatre...

....as the metal type will be correct for a Falklands aircraft, if that first main rotor assembly is removable, perhaps you could utilise the whole thing for this build, and then modify the set from this one at your leisure? Similarly, if the tail rotor from the other model can be transferred, the Afghanistan model could get a modified five-blade unit which was paired with the Carson main blades - as seen in this post, from my 1/72 ASaC.7 build (note I was modifying composite main blades):

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Oooo, a Sea King build, and I'm in at the start, lovely jubly! I'm normally 1/72 mostly but getting a calling from this scale through a commission build I'm doing in 1/48.

I'm all eyes.....

Terry

Thanks Terry see what I can do.

Thanks for looking in much appreciated.

Laurie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andyf117 said:

If I might make an observation and suggestion - I noticed your Afghan cab has the 'old-style' metal blades as supplied in the kit, rather than either the composite ones that replaced them, or, more correctly, Carson blades as fitted to the aircraft whilst in-theatre...

....as the metal type will be correct for a Falklands aircraft, if that first main rotor assembly is removable, perhaps you could utilise the whole thing for this build, and then modify the set from this one at your leisure? Similarly, if the tail rotor from the other model can be transferred, the Afghanistan model could get a modified five-blade unit which was paired with the Carson main blades - as seen in this post, from my 1/72 ASaC.7 build (note I was modifying composite main blades):

Thanks Andy.

FlightPath provide in their conversion kit, which I am using, the RN type rotor unit complete.

Yes the main rotor in the Afghan is off at the moment as I am picking it up regularly to make

it easy on the brain & copy.

Bizarre I actually did a build on the Afghan one, back some time now, so that is very helpful

to use my own build.. Except to find then I was better than I am now (81) at that time as a

model maker .

Thanks for your input Andy great stuff.

Laurie

23 minutes ago, Biggu said:

If I buy a round of beer, can I sit in as well??   I have always wanted to see the Flight Path PE in action, this will be an awesome tutorial for me

cheers

Jeff

If you like it I will buy the round. Yes you can sit in but if you do not like it I will drink your beer Jeff. 😊

Yes David Parkin's stuff FlightPath is something else. It is twice the thickness of Eduard & as that the indentations are deeper detail stands out.

Also you build with his stuff not just stick on. He provide bombs missiles & plenty of other bits & pieces.

Plus he provides resin which is near enough ready for paint. Superb stuff.

Thanks for looking in Jeff.

Laurie

• Like 2

Thanks Laurie, I will for sure, and by the way, it appears to me that you live in a very cool place, I would love to visit the Channel Islands one day....  i will watch your build with enthusiasm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biggu said:

Thanks Laurie, I will for sure, and by the way, it appears to me that you live in a very cool place, I would love to visit the Channel Islands one day....  i will watch your build with enthusiasm

You are very welcome.

Cool ! temperature wise about 10 degrees bizarre to night goes to 11dgrees centigrade of course.

Place to live. I am Englishman so not a Jersey man. However I have lived here 58 years & a Jersey lady, sadly not here now, related to

the family told me I could now be a Jersey man. I think I am we have 4 children 4 grandsons all Jersey men.

Of interest, before my time, Jersey fishing boats travelled over to Newfoundland & spent long days fishing the cod. It is quite history in Jersey.

Laurie

http://186O7O.jpg

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, LaurieS said:

If you like it I will buy the round. Yes you can sit in but if you do not like it I will drink your beer Jeff. 😊

Yes David Parkin's stuff FlightPath is something else. It is twice the thickness of Eduard & as that the indentations are deeper detail stands out.

Also you build with his stuff not just

stick on. He provide bombs missiles & plenty of other bits & pieces.

Plus he provides resin which is near enough ready for paint. Superb stuff.

Thanks for looking in Jeff.

Laurie

I second that: my HAS5 build was predominantly FlightPath based on Hasegawa (though at least my base kit was the HU5 “Ark Royal” boxing they did a few years ago.  David’s stuff is superb

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I second that: my HAS5 build was predominantly FlightPath based on Hasegawa (though at least my base kit was the HU5 “Ark Royal” boxing they did a few years ago.  David’s stuff is superb

Yes great service. Broke one of the winch legs. Asked if he would supply a replacement. Being an old kit I knew he would not have them on the shelf.

Said I would pay for the replacement & postage.  Cannot do it today the reply will tomorrow.

Received it 4 days later no charge no charge for postage. Can you believe that.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS
  • Like 3

Two things: those panels on the outboard side of the pilots’ seats (i.e. between seat & window) don’t exist in a Westland Sea King - I think they must be a Sikorsky thing.  If you’ll permit me to illustrate from my HAS5 build, you can see where I filled in the gap after removing the panels.

Fuselage glued 1

[Edit: note that Westlands seats are different, too; the Hasegawa kit seats are Sikorsky style - different seat back & arrangement of supporting struts].

Not quite sure what you mean by ‘top half used as top hung open window flap” [about the top part of the door]?  If I have misunderstood you, feel safe to ignore me - but if not: the top part of the door was ALWAYS propped open using a built-in strut.  It was never allowed to dangle down when the door was open, because in that position there’s nothing to hold it, and the door quickly becomes damaged if it's just allowed to flap about in the wind.  Damaged door = “my office, no coffee” invitation from the Air Engineering Officer!

You can see the strut in this photo of me in Brunei with an 820NAS HAS5 in 1988:

IMG_0423

Sorry to intrude into your build.  Hope those are helpful.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4

No intrusion at all Crisp but are you Gordon 😄

Sadly think it will be to disruptive, at the stage I am at,to remove those panels.

On the window/door if you could have a look at the top picture of my first entry into this topic.

It shows one I built for my Afghanistan Diorama. Does the window/door look correct ?

Thanks

Laurie

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

On the window/door if you could have a look at the top picture of my first entry into this topic.

It shows one I built for my Afghanistan Diorama. Does the window/door look correct ?

Yep.  Spot on.  

As for the panels, they’re not that visible from outside once everything is buttoned up, so I wouldn’t worry.  Still not too late for the seats, though!

• Like 4

Hi Laurie, I was a Wessex grubber, managed to get out before the Junglie Sea Kings came along. I have the same idea as you, when I get around to it. Concur re the Flighpath PE parts.

Colin

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Laurie, I was a Wessex grubber, managed to get out before the Junglie Sea Kings came along. I have the same idea as you, when I get around to it. Concur re the Flighpath PE parts.

Colin

Ha ha Colin. Got two  Wessex a Has & Uh to build for my Falklands diorama. Looking forward to that.

Laurie

• Like 1