Academy Helldiver Wingfold

Denford

After and extended period 'on the shelf' I've re-started work on the Academy SB2C-4 Helldiver, which I plan to build with folded wings from Wolfpack, if only to render visible the fragile Yagi underwing antennae.

Unfortunately the slats on the wing leading edge are moulded shut.  Does anyone have recommendations/experience of correction - file and scrape away material below the slats, or perhaps cut and replace the said area with the parts from the original, Academy, wing?

That done I'd rather not rely solely on Superglue/Epoxy to hold the wings in position and would like the added security of jury struts.

Photos show that they were often not used and those I've seen are maddingly vague about their fixing points, especially on the upper wing, presumably somewhere on the main spar.

Does anyone have any information or references?

Since the slats on  SB2C's were mechanically linked to the landing gear, they were extended any time the landing gear was down. I'm not sure what you mean by the slats are molded shut in your above post. I have both boxings of the Academy SB2C-4 kit,  12406 and 12409, and both have the slats molded as separate sections, so they can be posed open or shut. @dogsbody's posted photo looks like an SB2C-4, and is a very nice photo!

Mike

See the link for an excellent Helldiver photo collection and description and BuNo's for all versions- they should whet your appetite!

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/sb2c/

Sorry that I do not know how to make a link, but go to the Wolfpack Design website.  In the Resin 1/72 section and at the top, is WP72003, the said folding wing set for the SB2C.

There is a picture that shows four parts: 2 x inserts for the inner wing and 2 x outer wing panels.  It is these, the outer wing panels, that have the slats moulded shut: an absolute contradiction, since, as you say, lowering the undercarriage extends the slats.  The build, using Wolfpack parts, requires removing the outer panels such that the inner section remains intact to receive the inserts.

However on the only surviving (at least flying survivor) this linkage seems to have been disconnected.  Photos show it on the ground, with folded wings and slats retracted: indeed I'm not sure (typing this) if the slats can be extended at all.  Perhaps it is this that had mis-guided Wolfpack as the pictures with the set seem to depict this machine.

One small hope: WP72003 is shown as 'Discontinued'.  Perhaps (though I doubt it) it will be re-issued, this time with the outer, folding sections, lacking the slats as in the Academy kit!

Thanks for the photos: the very last that shows the jury strut set into the fuselage, and where this is.  An earlier one, showing the (unfortunate) pilot who later fell 1500 ft into the Pacific, indicates that the top of the strut was set into the wing more or less at the tip of the insignia star.

Edited by Denford
Refinement of detail

Sorry that I  misunderstood your post, Denford- now I understand what you were talking about! Yes, the CAF's SB2C-5 had the slats fixed in the closed position, and when it suffered a belly landing many years ago, due to carburetor trouble, (I was at the airshow when it crashed- it was sputtering and missing during run-up and taxi, and I have no idea why the pilot elected to take off anyway.)  the Curtiss Electric prop was damaged beyond repair and replaced by a Hamilton  Standard unit; the bomb bay doors were also damaged to the extent that new ones were fabricated but are not of the correct shape. The National Air and Space Museum has an original SB2C-5, as does the Thai Air Force Museum- there is an SB2C-1A, SB2C-3, and SB2C-4 on static display at three different museums.

Mike

Thanks for this, though nobody has yet made a posting on correction of the Academy parts!

Ironically I was in Washington DC two years ago to see the blossoms and we visited both Uzvar Hazey and NASM though I don't recall actually seeing the Helldiver.  Fortunately the photo on the web page shows where the fuselage strut fixing is - that is if you know where to look which I now do!

Regarding the position on the wing, I presume it was always in the same place (somewhere on the main spar) so the position of the Star must have varied slightly.  I believe that they were built at 2 locations which may explain this.

According to a totally unreferenced sketch I have, the fixing point seems very small - something like a 1/2 inch threaded socket - which is perhaps why it doesn't feature on any kit or drawing I have ever seen.  Even the Dragon kit which does have folding wings but lacks the jury struts doesn't show them.

Perhaps I should make a pitch about upgrading (to remove slats) to Wolfpack if they are at Telford this year.  I did this a while ago without problems (re UK distribution agent) with a note written in Korean by a Korean acquaintance.  Now I don't want to be sexist, my two very slight (Korean) acquaintances are both female and I would have difficulty in explaining to them what I wanted them to write!  In their defence (defense to you) I would say I am a professional engineer, fluent in varying degrees in French, German and Spanish and yet I would have difficulty in explaining what I wanted to say in any of those languages!

It looks like filing and scraping is the way forward.  I don't fancy trying use the Dragon wings on the Academy kit as the assembly is 'different' from Wolfpack.  Difficult to explain without the two kits and Wolf Pack all together.

Edited by Denford
Confirmation of attendence at Telford this year

1 hour ago, Denford said:

I believe that they were built at 2 locations which may explain this.

Over 800 Helldivers were built in Canada, at the Canadian Car and Foundry plant.

49570562236_bc46081911_o.jpg

Chris

On 2/21/2020 at 8:24 PM, Denford said:

Unfortunately the slats on the wing leading edge are moulded shut.  Does anyone have recommendations/experience of correction - file and scrape away material below the slats, or perhaps cut and replace the said area with the parts from the original, Academy, wing?

Not knowing either kit but looking at the various references, this sounds like the best solution until a correction is made to the Wolfpack parts...

I cut along panel lines to remove the closed slats and replaced them with the kit parts.  This was relatively easy as the Wolfpack wings appear to be directly 'adapted' from the Academy wings.  Given that the slats are automatically deplspacer.pngoyed when the landing gear is lowered, (would the wings ever be folded when the gear is up???),I felt that deployed slats should have been included on the Wolfpack set.

Regards,

Tom 

Edited by Doolie
added? photo
  • Like 1