BraZ Engines

Scotsman07

Hello,

I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips for how to cut the BraZ engines off of the sprue, as it is quite thick and I don’t want to damage any of the engines in the process. 

I have just purchased the GE94 engines to go on my BA 777-200ER build. 

Any tips or pointers would be very much appreciated. 

Regards,

Alistair

39 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

on my recent 767 build I used a hack saw (being careful to wear a mask for the dust) to remove the blocks, then spent several hours sanding them with coarse and then finer grades of sandpaper. Look forwards to seeing the result 

Thank you mate, have you got a picture of your engines? I hope they turn out ok, I’ve converted the 777-300ER to a 777-200ER. 

5 minutes ago, Scotsman07 said:

Thank you mate, have you got a picture of your engines? I hope they turn out ok, I’ve converted the 777-300ER to a 777-200ER. 

Ill have a look see if I have any additonal pics but might be some in the WIP thread 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Ill have a look see if I have any additonal pics but might be some in the WIP thread 

That’s a lovely model, and a good job on the engines too mate well done. Can only hope my ones turn out as good 👍🏻

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scotsman07 said:

That’s a lovely model, and a good job on the engines too mate well done. Can only hope my ones turn out as good 👍🏻

I'm sure it will, seen what you can do with civy models which i just can't manage, the Norweigian 787-9 is stunning, good luck and look forwards to the result, big fan of the BA 777's see quite a lot of them living under Heathrow's eastwards flight path

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I'm sure it will, seen what you can do with civy models which i just can't manage, the Norweigian 787-9 is stunning, good luck and look forwards to the result, big fan of the BA 777's see quite a lot of them living under Heathrow's eastwards flight path

Thank you, I really appreciate that and glad you liked the Norwegian 787-9! I have always liked the BA 777, and have always wanted to make a model of the 772 but never been brave enough to try a conversion before... so here’s keeping everything crossed.

I have no experience of the BraZ GE94s but I have used their RR Trent 700s, PW JTD-59As and CFM-56-7Bs. 

Assuming the design is similar (i.e. combined nacelle/pylon and separate front cowling/fan) I normally use a razor saw with a 1.25" blade to cut away the casting blocks. Take it easy and keep checking as you go. It is very unlikely that you will get completely flat mating faces although BraZ are generally pretty good about keeping the "sprue" away from the edges which are, obviously, the most important mating points and should be left untouched. Once the main part of the casting block is off I usually sand the back of the fan section using 400 grade wet and dry stuck to something flat. A small mirror or piece of glass is ideal. If you have a Dremel or similar tool you can use a burr to make the mating face of the nacelle slightly concave which (in theory) should give you a nice snug fit round the edges. Failing a power tool I'm afraid it's just a case of more sanding and possibly a bit of carving with a scalpel.  I usually use five minute epoxy to join the sections because it allows a bit of time for adjustment but once it sticks it stays stuck. Some filling round the joint is almost inevitable.

Hope that's some help

Dave G

• Thanks 1

For a cut with a bit of a curve, I have a jewellers piercing saw which uses very fine circular section blades. They are delicate and easily snapped but are cheap and plentiful if you buy a pack. Useful for all resin parts removal. Something a bit coarser like a razor saw is quicker for removing the bigger casting blocks.

Here is a frame and some blades:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=jewellers+piercing+saw&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=jewellers+piercing+saw&_sacat=0

• Thanks 1