Questions on Blenheim Mk. IF and Hurricane IIB in Singapore 1941-42

WrightField

The most interesting period in WW II is the Allied collapse in SE Asia and SW Pacific at the outset of the Pacific War in '41-42. I've been considering subjects and collecting kits for the different areas for builds (Burma, Malaya/Singapore. NEI, Philippines). As you can see from the topic title, I'm looking at those subjects to represent the RAF in Singapore/Malaya. I've got many references, but for these two I'll be relying on Christopher Shores' "Bloody Shambles" Vols. 1 & 2. So...

What would be required to modify the Airfix 1/48 Mk I Hurricane/Sea Hurricane to the twelve gun IIB? A little research leads me to believe there is no difference (as far as the kit would be concerned) other than probably some rescribeing and cutting for outboard wing guns. What would that entail, are there any drawings for panel references, etc.?

My (somewhat) local shop has the Airfix Blenheim IF. Somewhere along the way I dimly recall that there was a day fighter version of the IF as well as the AI equipped IF. What was used in Malaya/Singapore service?

Thanks,

Dennis

If my memory serves, there is an addition of length in the cowling for the Hurricane II.  Most if not all at Singapore came with Vokes filters under the nose.

As to the Blenheim there is a fantastic thread started by Mark Haseden on this forum regarding the Malaya Blenheims.  The colors are distinctive and I would argue for yellow leading edges on the tail surfaces.  Why, I don't know.

Yes, it is slightly longer- something around 4" which would scale out to 1/12" in 48th, so I figured I may let that be. I suppose I could cut the cowling and add some sanded 1/8" sheet. 

The Hurricane I kit I'd get for Singapore would be the "desert" variant by Airfix, as it has the tropical equipped Vokes. Not sure if the Sea Hurricane has that, it's in my stash, I reckon I should look!

Here is a PDF from EASTWARD Easter 2014 .

Eastward The RAF Butterworth &Penang Association

There is a section talking about Butterworth and 62 Sqdn in 1941. 27 Sqdn is also mentioned.

https://docplayer.net/92844668-Eastward-easter-2014.html#show_full_text

A request to identify a wreck, identified as a Blenheim Mk1. Some info on S/Ldr Scarf the VC winner. 

Aircraft Wreck Identification Needed, Date December 1941 Malaya   thread 

http://www.adf-messageboard.com.au/invboard/index.php?showtopic=1625

Grant

They were also posted, and discussed, on this site.

The additional length is in the fuselage section aft of the cowling.  As well as this there is a different fairing to the wing leading edge. The Mk.II Hurricane also has a deeper radiator and a different air intake, both tropical and temperate.  It had a different tailwheel leg, and a different propellor/spinner, although the last was seen on late Mk.1s.  At least some early Mk.Iis appear to have retained the early tailwheel.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WrightField said:

What would be required to modify the Airfix 1/48 Mk I Hurricane/Sea Hurricane to the twelve gun IIB? A little research leads me to believe there is no difference (as far as the kit would be concerned) other than probably some rescribeing and cutting for outboard wing guns. What would that entail, are there any drawings for panel references, etc.?

Hi Dennis

detail of Mk.I vs Mk.II are here, as well as the prop details

As you are in the US, I would suggest searching for a Hasegawa Hurricane Tropical IIb kit,   It has it's faults, but it's what you need.  

Here's another thread on 27 Sqn Blenheims in Singapore:

Sadly, most of the image links are long-since defunct but I did copy all the images at the time (I was a right-click/save-as fiend when I saw the colour images).  Happy to help with questions about specific airframes.  

Edited by mhaselden