Challenger I

Courageous

Hi guys, can't honestly remember when I last built armour this size, most probably about +/-45 years ago. Anyhow, I've decided on a quick detour away from 'wingy' things and although the intentions are to build airfield vehicles to display alongside my 1/72 aircraft, I thought I'd have a bit of fun with Revell's Challenger I or is that Matchbox 'cos that's what it says on the plastic. Decided on a WiP as 1/72 vehicles seem a little thin on the ground, so here I am.

20200219-222646.jpg

I do know somethings about tanks but don't I know a thing about a Challenger, so if you know of any glaring/ easy things to correct fire away. I have made a start and once I done something meaningful, I'll post it.

Stuart

• Like 8

Tackled the first couple of stages...

20200220-210345.jpg

Wheels removed, cleaned and cemented together. End bits added to lower hull.

20200220-210437.jpg

Sink mark central here. The upper 'sinks' won't be seen as they're behind the skirts but lower one will and if I'm doing them, I might as well do the top ones.

Stuart

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Back from a course, had a little time in the cave.

20200229-181010-1.jpg

Sinks filled and sanded. Main parts of hull joined, suspension and upper wheels fitted.

20200229-181030-1.jpg

Road, drive and idler wheels joined. I have seen builds where the wheels are all fitted and painted with the rest of the build and the rubber painted afterwards, can't see me doing that without making a mess, so I will prime and paint before fitting.

20200229-181135-1.jpg

Barrel halves joined, cleaned up and a drill put down the centre.

Stuart

• Like 5

20200307-104935-1.jpg

Hull all but done, just some little holes to fill.

20200307-105016-1.jpg

Turret all but done, just need to fit countermeasures, MG and commanders hatch.

20200307-105058-1.jpg

'Cos I'm posing the commanders hatch open (hopefully I get a dude to stick in there), I'll need to add a little detail to the inner face; handle, clips and padding.

I haven't got a clue as to the accuracy of the kit or what I can improve on but little things like the hatch and drilling holes in the lifting points is a start. I'm sure that the turret should have more but haven't a clue where they're located...

Stuart

• Like 7

Yes! You have joined the darkside for a bit and are constructing a tank! I should start a WIP on my 1/72 Scimitar recce tank, and my 1/72 Light Tank Mk VI. As you say 1/72 WIP's for AFV's seem thin on the ground.

Great to see this one. Have you decided on markings - Gulf sand or European theatre?

Terry

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

You have joined the darkside

Indeed I have. So much so that whilst at work, I will be turning my lunchtime builds into 1/72 AFV's.

As to theatre and markings, not sure. This Challenger has no reactive armour, so I'm not sure if it was operationally used without it in either theatre. If both, then I'll choose the earliest one.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dads203 said:

reactive armour packages

Hi Dan, still learning this armour melarky. IIRC, the early Challenger 1's just had Chobham armour, then later, they had those thick blocks (reactive) added? This kit doesn't have those 'blocks' and the decal option says Royal Hussars, BAOR. To this layman, this kit predates IFOR/ KFOR?

Real life getting in the way (and my ignorance on the subject) but hopefully get primer on this evening.

Stuart

• Like 1

I think I’m correct in saying that the uparmour package were only fitted on operations and never for normal use, something to do with driving around with big blocks of explosive strapped to the outside not being good for anyone who might be close by if they went off. 

So you could model the kit as a UK based or BAOR tank not operating on ops. The first time they were used or seen by the public was the first gulf war, not popular with supporting infantry for some reason :winkgrin: I for one would not want to be close if one of those blocks were hit by another tank round or RPG, the crew of the tank might be relieved but any poor bod outside is going to have a bad day that’s for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

With other builds being completed or awaiting supplies, i managed to get a little time on the Challenger.

20200315-093138-1.jpg

I am under the belief that armour particularly,  benefits from being base coated black, so that's what I've done. Having now decided to go with the European scheme, I've got to pop to the LMS tomorrow and buy myself some NATO Green and NATO Black. Not sure how to tackle the tracks as I've watched a number of videos and all seem to do it differently. So, if anybody has an easy method that I can use/ adapt, fire away.

Stuart

• Like 3

Nothing much...

20200317-191139-1.jpg

Got my green and whacked it onto the wheels, hull  sides and because I had loads still in my cup, I done the turret too. Tyres I suppose will be next, then I'll have to enter the dark world of weathering...

8 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Wee Friends

Made contact with the guys and they do Modern British Tankies in 1/76, so I'd better get an order in.

Stuart

• Like 5

On 17/03/2020 at 10:29, Courageous said:

Can anybody suggest any 1/76 British Tank Crew figures? I've tried 1/72 from S&S but they are just two big.

Try Dan Taylor. I'm sure that his figures are 1/76 as each one has a number that begins 76....

John.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Courageous said:

Found a set with Wee Friends, now waiting.

Stuart

I am sure Ian will get them to you ASAP :yes:

beefy

• Like 1

Got some other builds out of the way and now back to this.

20200325-214508.jpg

I was hoping to paint the tracks separately but soon remembered from some misplaced memory that these bloody rubber/  vinyl tracks do not hold paint, just flaked off...bugger. So, the tracks were carefully fitted around the fragile wheel set and now waits for some paint before I put the skirts on. Have also started the turret but temporarily stopped on that as I work out the barrel lagging colours and see if my existing paints can be used.

Stuart

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2020 at 9:55 AM, mbthejester said:

If I hadn’t read the title I would have thought it was 1/35, cracking job like it lots 

Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

20200410-182958-1.jpg

Details like the tools, spare track links, lights were painted and then Tamiya gloss applied before decals going on. Decals are on, settled with Micro Sol and had another gloss coat added to seal in the decals and prepare the way for oil washes which I have never done before, so wish me luck.

Stuart

• Like 6

Not much of an update...

20200413-151039-1.jpg

Not clearly seen here but the Challenger has undergone a black/brown oil wash. Albeit a little light for many, I thought I'd take it easy for my first attempt. The base is now in process but may stall as I have nothing to edge the foam block but we'll see.

Stuart

• Like 5