Blackburn Firebrand TF5

Wings on. Took a bit of fettling to get them into the gap in the fuselage. And importantly straight which was more of a challenge. Needed a small amount of filler, so added some Perfect Plastic Putty into the gaps and cleaned off with a damp cotton bud or two. 

resized_264d7a48-e6f2-436b-af5d-e0309086

• Like 8

Really interesting thread so far, both for the unusual subject and kit, plus the discussions. 

Looks very nice in that scheme, great effort so far with what looks to be a pretty challenging kit! 

1 hour ago, ejboyd5 said:

Here's a link to an image I found on the net showing a 1/4 view of a Mk. 5 with a torpedo in the taxi position: 

Blackburn Firebrand 1948

Thank you. This is really helpful. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been doing work over the last week or so. A lot of tidying of seams and getting layers of Sky on the underside. Now masked up and a couple of coats of Dark Slate Grey on. 

resized_4ca944f5-ae56-4186-aa1c-c4ea58de

• Like 3

And now with added Extra Dark Sea Grey

resized_6d8bb645-846d-4b3f-b56e-1016ab7d

It doesn't look too bad but will need another coat and some touching up. 

• Like 8

Masking off, touching up done and I've spent the afternoon putting the transfers on. They were pretty good, just needing a few moments in warm water and they slid off the backing paper easily and once in place they settled down nicely with a little pressure. 

resized_00d23005-7d31-4b65-ae3a-cbf1e537

All are on except the underwing serials. I'm not sure where they actually go. The diagram shows a gap over the cannon ejection ports which is there on the serials for the other option but not for EK747, where the transfer has no gap. I've got the Warpaint and 'From the cockpit' books which have loads of photos so I'll have a look there before the next step as they do need some cutting up to fit over the undercarriage doors. For a relatively short lived aircraft, there does seem to be. A lot of photographs of the Firebrand so hopefully the answer is out there. The diagram is doubly unhelpful. You can see the underwing roundels are in different places on either wing. 

resized_da606780-2928-4d5d-aeb2-165859ad

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I found a photograph that shows the underside of EK747 in the From the Cockpit book and it clearly shows that the underwing serials have a significant gap between the letters and the numbers, just the same as the other serial option. I've separated the serials and got the letters on as the roundel and outboard panel lines make a good set of  reference points. I'll now have to find a way of measuring up and cutting the last numbers to fit over the undercarriage doors. 

resized_9d2599b4-fbe5-460d-9cce-c597fecd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 825 said:

I'll now have to find a way of measuring up and cutting the last numbers to fit over the undercarriage doors. 

Stuart, might I suggest a way that I used on a couple of Vampire builds last year. Assuming the U/C doors actually fit in the holes they're supposed too, sit them in there on top of a couple of blobs of white tac (better than blue tac for this sort of thing imho) & then apply the serials as though they were on a continuous surface, then cut around the doors with a sharp knife before prising them out of place (carefully, so as not to snap a door) & you should be good to go. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

Agreed Steve, 

That's what I did with my Scimitar, Swift, Attacker and Vampire builds where appropriate - not perfect but close enough.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 8:01 AM, stevehnz said:

Stuart, might I suggest a way that I used on a couple of Vampire builds last year. Assuming the U/C doors actually fit in the holes they're supposed too, sit them in there on top of a couple of blobs of white tac (better than blue tac for this sort of thing imho) & then apply the serials as though they were on a continuous surface, then cut around the doors with a sharp knife before prising them out of place (carefully, so as not to snap a door) & you should be good to go. :)

Steve.

21 hours ago, PeterB said:

Agreed Steve, 

That's what I did with my Scimitar, Swift, Attacker and Vampire builds where appropriate - not perfect but close enough.

Pete

That's what I thought about doing however, there's a couple of problems that mean it's probably not possible. The first, which is probably overcomeable, the doors are different materials, the main door being injection moulded and the small outer door etch. A bigger problem is that the fixing for the undercarriage leg stands proud of the wing surface so popping the door over it isn't possible. Not a problem for a wheels up option as one would simply file it down. But then there would be no need to cut the transfers. 

Anyway while pondering, I've been tidying up some of the smaller parts and got a start on the canopy. 

resized_352844a5-a37f-4bcd-842d-eef8c8ed

• Like 2

I trimmed the transfers to close(ish) to the edge so I was working near to the size of the actual serial. The port wing serial was placed over the undercarriage well and gently teased into place. Then the parts that would be on the doors carefully measured and trimmed off. The transfer was then wetted and slid into place as usual. 

resized_e6a41b30-22da-4158-b9a7-feee554f

The starboard serail was more challenging to start with as unlike the port where the 7 was simply sliced through at the appropriate place and then the cut for the 4 was obvious. So I've cut the 7 off and then the cut for the 4 was straightforward. Again the transfer was placed and I'll let it all dry up and then trim the 7 to fit on the starboard wing. I have ensured I've put P and S on the offcuts so they go on the right doors. 

resized_e5d73419-e833-4355-8594-331c7b20

• Like 6

On 4/4/2020 at 1:38 PM, rob85 said:

Never had to do the serial numbers across the lading gear, looks like you have done a great job. This is really coming along!

Rob

Rob this was quite common on British post war aircraft even up to the present day on Hawks. Vampires, Venoms, Hunters and I think Gannets all had the serials across the undercarriage doors. 

Anyway here we are now with the serials on and on the main undercarriage doors as well. The tail wheel is on along with the arrestor hook and torpedo carriage. I'll let the transfers dry off and bed down for a while before dealing withe the main undercart. 

resized_0f7683de-baa7-4cf6-9db8-2458e82f

I've also completed the prop/spinner, including repairing the snapped off blade and sanded th canopy down to fit. No photos yet unfortunately. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 4

The undercarriage is now on. It is a little fragile so I'll leave it overnight to solidify up before adding the doors. 

resized_64bc6bd1-35e0-44f7-a8e6-13036924

The canopy is all trimmed up and dipped in Klear. 

resized_bf9597d3-94ef-4da1-8d9b-9f1dbbb5

• Like 3

Undercarriage almost complete, only the small doors to fit. They'll take a little time as they need the final part of the serial attached as well. 

resized_d785f4ee-5086-4f47-9a8a-df20f8af

And here is EK747 sitting on her own 3 wheels. 

resized_d606b8c1-6ea1-4d74-a779-76238a80

The canopy to do and transfers on the prop, followed by a number of sticky out bits and we'll be there. There are a few small etch bits and I might miss some off but we'll see. The torpedo needs finished too. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 6

Today I put the transfers on the prop blades, then because the undercarriage seemed so fragile and seriously wobbly put some cyano round the joins which seems to have done the trick. After our permitted exercise walk round the common I did some canopy masking for the Firebrand, whcich was straightforward as I used the Peewit mask, and some other canopies sitting waiting. Afterwards as the weather was good we the. Drank some Pimms, then I had a couple of beers then some lovely Dalwhinnie.malt whisky. So no more modelling done. But a nice afternoon and evening all the same. Made better by 825 junior making the tea. 

Before popping to to bed I espied the Firebrand looking menacing on the dining room table. (Also known as the workbench). 

resized_16a11f85-6e32-4934-a0eb-669195ad

• Like 5

Canopy masked, fixed and faired in which took a little bit of patience and a little filler. The Peewit mask was really helpful.  Now painted and some more etch along with the aerial mast added. 

resized_060faa5a-48f9-4b90-97be-865b6008

resized_2f6b059c-9002-4a6c-9d5b-beb293eb

I've also been working on the tin fish. I decided to ignore the tiny prop blades for the torpedo as there's enough etch to be fitting and they would hardly be seen behind the prop guards anyway. 

resized_04618409-f4a1-4906-99fd-fd295980

• Like 8

Excellent work on the Firebrand! I've always liked the look of this aircraft, even if it wasn't a particularly good aeroplane.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang

Lovely job, the kit and your handiwork captures the look of it perfectly.

I remember starting a RarePlanes one back in the Dark-Ages and got as far as getting the airframe done then put it away as I didn't have spare bits and such for the fiddly bits (undercart etc.) and wasn't up to using the kit parts and scratch-building!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 12:21 PM, stevehnz said:

Really liking the look of this, one of these high on my post covid want list now I've seen yours. :) 

Steve.

Thanks Steve, it's not a bad build. The one thing I would change is I wouldn't spend ages on the cockpit interior and drive myself mad with the tiny bits of etch. Apart from the seat belts and the head rest nothing can be seen.  

On 4/14/2020 at 6:53 PM, DaveyGair said:

Lovely job, the kit and your handiwork captures the look of it perfectly.

I remember starting a RarePlanes one back in the Dark-Ages and got as far as getting the airframe done then put it away as I didn't have spare bits and such for the fiddly bits (undercart etc.) and wasn't up to using the kit parts and scratch-building!

:goodjob:

Davey.

Thanks Davey, I suspect this is a much easier build than a vac form. It has turned out nice and looks really powerful. 

The airframe is finished and just just needs a coat of matt varnish. The torpedo needs a bit more work as the rear end and air tail is heavily etch dependent. 

resized_647f8c8e-24ba-45fa-be15-efa18bcb

resized_47dc8e16-0a62-4a11-9a21-5a052500

• Like 3

Torpedo now glued up. It was seriously fiddly and took much longer than anticipated  it's also quite delicate and so I'll leave it a while before cleaning it up. Luckily my cheap and cheerful cyano is a little slow in working it helped in getting it all squared up. 

resized_01080884-6563-40ee-a8e6-1309b95d

• Like 1