Junkers JU-52/3m, Revell, 1/48

Dear members,

Here is my old "Tante JU '" . I build this model years ago when it was just released, I prefered a civil version, but that came out, when I already had bought this one. 😏

But there was a surprise, the kit came with a so called bath- tube on the underside, so it was possible to build a spanish version of the Condor Legion.  

I found a nice camouflage scheme in a Magazine of Air Enthusiast. Painting was done with by hand with a handbrush in Polly S  Acryl,  Using masking tape was hardly possible here, so only some pencil lines were drawn.

The white crosses came from the decal spare-box. 

So I hope, you like the photographs of this different version.

With regards,

JohnHaa

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 42

That is absolutely fantastic.  It must be a big model. I have one in the stash, but I have no where to put such a big one. I will have to have a look to see if it has the bath tub parts. I dealt it. Any way great to see your one. Made my day.

I was reading your post and mistakenly read “when I was just released” so that gave it a extra dimension ☺️...

I love the old Auntie, very nice build and perfect camo and paint job, I love here! Congratz

Thanks everybody for the nice comments ! 

Sure, it is a rather large  model, span is 60 cm. and the lenght is 40 cm.  It is about the same size as a Douglas DC-3.  

For Ringo :  Fortunately I was never "released "  😂....LOL....

Regards,

JohnHaa,

Great looking Tante Ju John! :clap2: Another classic build from you, bravo!  And, keep 'em coming! 😀

Personal note:  Back in the late 1980s, a restored Ju-52, then belonging to the Commemorative Air Force, made a late afternoon landing at the Cameron Municipal Airport (seen in many of my model pics).   It was returning from Arkansas, where it had received a new paint job.  I was installing HVAC duct in a new house and it was quitting time, around 4:30 PM.  I heard an unusual aircraft sound outside and quickly stepping out the back I saw an airplane moving slowly through the gray sky and then saw the Luftwaffe markings and the distinctive tri-motor design.   Not something one sees everyday in central Texas, lol.

Commemorative Air Force

After leaving work, I called my father-in-law and he and I drove out to the airport and there it sat.  A small crowd had already gathered and we joined them.   We received a "tour" of the interior after making a nominal contribution.  It was beautifully restored and very interesting.   There were two men and one's wife iirc and the jokingly suggested that the city should paint the town's name on one of our water towers so they would know where they were.  They landing due to the approaching darkness and were feted by locals for dinner and driven to a local hotel for the night.  

Next morning, I drove out to see them depart.   The Ju-52 drove off the tarmac turnaround on one end and got stuck in mud.  Two local WWII vets then pulled them free in with a Chevrolet Suburban. 😄  The takeoff was uneventful and they wheeled around for one last pass over the airport and then were out of sight.    

John, I'm sorry to "highjack" your thread, but thought this story might be somewhat relevant. 🙂

The Ju-52 that visited Cameron, Texas:

http://www.tinfeathers.com/Museum/USA/Midland/Hang/JU52/JU52.htm

And this is the same aircraft, later sold to the Military Aircraft Museum:

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/fun-facts/this-day-in-history/happy-birthday-junkers-ju-52.html

additional info regarding that aircraft:

Military Aviation MuseumN352JU[2]CASA 352LVirginia Beach Airport/United StatesFormerly owned by Commemorative Air Force, operated by MAM since August 2010. Converted to Pratt & Whitney R-1340 geared engines, fitted with 3-blade propellers. Once thought to be serial number 67 (built May 1950), matching data plates in the cabin and on the outside of the fuselage revealed it to actually be ser. no. 77 (built January 1949). Assigned identification number T2B 176 by the Spanish Air Force.[3]

list of flying Ju-52s

Edited by Gary Brantley
added info

2 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Great looking Tante Ju John! :clap2: Another classic build from you, bravo!  And, keep 'em coming! 😀

Personal note:  Back in the late 1980s, a restored Ju-52, then belonging to the Commemorative Air Force, made a late afternoon landing at the Cameron Municipal Airport (seen in many of my model pics).   It was returning from Arkansas, where it had received a new paint job.  I was installing HVAC duct in a new house and it was quitting time, around 4:30 PM.  I heard an unusual aircraft sound outside and quickly stepping out the back I saw an airplane moving slowly through the gray sky and then saw the Luftwaffe markings and the distinctive tri-motor design.   Not something one sees everyday in central Texas, lol.

Commemorative Air Force

After leaving work, I called my father-in-law and he and I drove out to the airport and there it sat.  A small crowd had already gathered and we joined them.   We received a "tour" of the interior after making a nominal contribution.  It was beautifully restored and very interesting.   There were two men and one's wife iirc and the jokingly suggested that the city should paint the town's name on one of our water towers so they would know where they were.  They landing due to the approaching darkness and were feted by locals for dinner and driven to a local hotel for the night.  

Next morning, I drove out to see them depart.   The Ju-52 drove off the tarmac turnaround on one end and got stuck in mud.  Two local WWII vets then pulled them free in with a Chevrolet Suburban. 😄  The takeoff was uneventful and they wheeled around for one last pass over the airport and then were out of sight.    

John, I'm sorry to "highjack" your thread, but thought this story might be somewhat relevant. 🙂

The Ju-52 that visited Cameron, Texas:

http://www.tinfeathers.com/Museum/USA/Midland/Hang/JU52/JU52.htm

And this is the same aircraft, later sold to the Military Aircraft Museum:

http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/fun-facts/this-day-in-history/happy-birthday-junkers-ju-52.html

additional info regarding that aircraft:

Military Aviation MuseumN352JU[2]CASA 352LVirginia Beach Airport/United StatesFormerly owned by Commemorative Air Force, operated by MAM since August 2010. Converted to Pratt & Whitney R-1340 geared engines, fitted with 3-blade propellers. Once thought to be serial number 67 (built May 1950), matching data plates in the cabin and on the outside of the fuselage revealed it to actually be ser. no. 77 (built January 1949). Assigned identification number T2B 176 by the Spanish Air Force.[3]

list of flying Ju-52s

The list of flying Ju52’s does need an update as allmost all European ones are a grounded at the moment..

The D-CDLH of the Lufthansa stiftung is permanently grounded as Lufthansa pulled out of the stiftung and the aircraft is stored...

All Swiss aircraft (two Junkers and one Casa with original BMW engines ) are also grounded at the moment after the HB-HOT crash although rumors are still saying that are going back in the air...although it is not very likely to happen...

You still have the F-AZJU that still fly's in France ..that is actually a Casa aircraft as well

Then there is the South African one that was airworthy but they stopped flying it as wel, due to financial problems..
The American was going to a new owner at 17 December 2018 To Training Services Inc, Virginia Beach, VA keeping c/r N352JU.

As far as I can see the only flyer at the moment is the French F-AZJU.

Luckily I was able to fly on D-CDLH (ju52) and HB-HOY ( Casa 352) I also have seen them flying in a formation of six a few years ago in Germany and what a sight that was...it all seem to be over now....

It is a great aircraft to fly and you can turn it on a dime if you like too...

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

Jan,

Thank you for your update !  👍

Makes you sad that most are grounded now for all kind of reasons. Let's hope, that the French one keeps flying.....

With kind greetings,

JohnHaa

On the workbench : Fokker T.IV 

• Like 1