Revell 1/72 McDD F-4F JG71 Richthofen

Another of my Shelf of Doom residents that I have managed to stumble over the line with. This kit got as far as the decaling stage then spent the next 2 years on the Shelf of Doom until the urge came to finish it. I had trouble with the gloss paint not hardening off, the Revell decals were so thick they wouldn't bed down properly and finally it appears the front canopy has fogged up (but I didn't find that out until today once the masking was removed).

Not a particularly well finished model but at least it is now finished.

IMG_6505-M.jpg

IMG_6506_heic-M.jpg

IMG_6508-M.jpg

IMG_6512_heic-M.jpg

IMG_6510-M.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 28

3 hours ago, Booty003 said:

Stunning Duncan.  I am not usually a fan of the highly decorative schemes but this one is phantastic!

I'm not usually a fan of brightly coloured display aircraft either and I wouldn't have gone out and bought this particular kit. It came from the stash of a deceased member of a club I used to attend  and we were all supposed to build one of his kits in honour of him. I guess I eventually managed to do that :)

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, F-32 said:

Very nice indeed, I've got this one in the stash and I'm going to dig it out now!

It's a nice kit other than the very thick decals and the canopy being a bit flat and not a great fit. Another thing to note about the decals is that Revell got the 'Tulip' on the nose wrong (although I didn't spot it until after I had declared the kit). The 'petals' are too long on the decals as the tip of them should not reach the front of the canopy in real life, a quick Google for photos of the real thing will make that clear.

Duncan B