Bullfinches finished

Orso

spacer.png

Many birds leave Sweden during the winter for a nicer climate but Bullfinches we have here all year around. The red breast birds are something I actually associates to Swedish winters.

spacer.png

This is a Japanese re boxing of the old Airfix kit. It is a bit like building an aircraft. Fuselage in two parts and two wings to be added.

The way parts are divided makes it a bit hard to build. The wings doesn't have much contact area for the glue. The one on the right needed reinforcement with baking powder/superglue. 

Edited by Orso
  • Like 22

Now this really is unusual in a group build. I remember the Airfix kit of years ago but didn't realise it was available again. 

Excellent idea. 

Colin 

4 hours ago, Orso said:

The red breast birds are something I actually associates to Swedish winters.

I think the last build of bullfinches on here was also a Swedish modeller...

I note a sticker on the box saying "Domherrar" is that a Swedish sticker?  (Bullfinch?) 

Sadly not seen a real Bullfinch since I was a child, and this was the only one of the birds series I built then.  I did pick up the rest a few years ago,  though the only one I have done any work on is ...a bullfinch, I got one cheap with it turns out a missing bit, so only part done one.

waffling away, hope the link is of interest.

• Like 3

Excellent subject choice Bjorn :D This is another example to illustrate the wide variety of choice available in @trickyrich's GB idea.

Having built the Airfix kit a couple of years ago all I can advise you is to do plenty of test fitting and use rough sandpaper to blend any filler and joins into the surrounding surface detail. I also added a tongue to the one with the open mouth to avoid it looking too empty and painted the throat areas dark to hide their emptiness.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Looking at the box art, I'm not too impressed with the marking options.  Are there any AM decals available?  Etched or resin upgrades?  A quick look on the Hannants site appeared to show nothing. 😁

I believe that a Viggen style splinter camouflage scheme is a possible option :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

I note a sticker on the box saying "Domherrar" is that a Swedish sticker?  (Bullfinch?) 

Yes; it means ”bullfinches” (”domherre” actually means canon/canonicus, the type you find in a church, I guess the Medieval Swedish canons wore red with a black top). The sticker was maybe put there by the local hobby shop? Even if people generally understand English small bird’s names are virtually unknown - I did not know what a bullfinch was yesterday. But I have a pair outside my kitchen window :)

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 3

welcome along again Bjorn and I'm so glad you've bought the birds along! :D

A @Col. mentions, it's so great to see completely different builds showing up in a GB. I don't remember any in any of the numerous GB's I've been in (gosh near 60 now!!), so awesome to see one here.

I am really looking forward to following this one, as its way beyond what I could do...I'll happily sit back a watch.  :popcorn:

Well good luck with them, there's bound to be plenty of interest in this, and I look forward to seeing them in the gallery.

Nice.

We have them in our garden quite regularly - sometimes up to 4 pairs. The males are very handsome birds, and perhaps slightly bigger than the females? Getting the red right could be tricky as it has a slight pinkish tinge.

Interesting that you associate them with winter - over here that tends to be the Robin, though they are here all year, but the red breast seems brighter against the snow.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

These look great, Björn. Not easy to paint.

I have a chum in North Leeds who gets these in the garden a lot but I don't seem to get them in Halifax. Chaffinches and Goldfinches, but not Bullfinches. We're a bit higher than Leeds.

Going to shows in the UK in the last year I've seen a few iterations of a kingfisher model. I don't know who produces it. It's smaller scale and less cuddly than your bullfinches: it looks a bit dinosaur-y!

Alan

1 hour ago, Angus Tura said:

These look great, Björn. Not easy to paint.

I have a chum in North Leeds who gets these in the garden a lot but I don't seem to get them in Halifax. Chaffinches and Goldfinches, but not Bullfinches. We're a bit higher than Leeds.

Going to shows in the UK in the last year I've seen a few iterations of a kingfisher model. I don't know who produces it. It's smaller scale and less cuddly than your bullfinches: it looks a bit dinosaur-y!

Alan

It might be the Airfix kit as well which has also been reissued by Gunze, if I remember correctly the same series also included a pairs of robins and blue tits.

Edited by Richard E

7 hours ago, Richard E said:

if I remember correctly the same series also included a pairs of robins and blue tits.

Airfix did 6,  Bullfinches, Blue tits, Robins, Kingfisher, Little Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

I got the last two from Hobbylink Japan in Gunze boxes, both for £12 posted, a few years back, so it makes sense the boxed the entire series. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 1:39 AM, Graham T said:

Looking at the box art, I'm not too impressed with the marking options.  Are there any AM decals available?  Etched or resin upgrades?  A quick look on the Hannants site appeared to show nothing. 😁

Walking my dog last night i saw this ideal diorama accessory. 

20200229_180250

You can purch-ase in a range of sizes from most parks and gardens.

😁

Colin 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Colin W said:

Walking my dog last night i saw this ideal diorama accessory. 

You can purch-ase in a range of sizes from most parks and gardens.

😁

Yeah... but is this then still modelling?

:devil:

you should stretch thick sprue and use a rough file to roughen it, then bend it slightly using heat...

some filler where you went over board  and then several shades of paint with brush and spray gun...

then probably do it over again cause the flat coat reacted to the thick color below...

No no no no no.... 

;)

Edited by exdraken
  • Haha 2

bullfinch_21.JPG

No guns. It is a bomber. Small bombs comes out at the rear end of the fuselage. 😁

I decided to reshape the body on the second bird. When the Magic Sculp has set I will have a go on the beak on it to.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

On 2/20/2020 at 7:59 PM, Torbjorn said:

Even if people generally understand English small bird’s names are virtually unknown - I did not know what a bullfinch was yesterday. But I have a pair outside my kitchen window :)

That can be a problem in the US too I think. 30 years ago a member of a forum I was on got banned by the moderator for talking about "Great T*ts" Apparently this family of small birds is unknown is a number of countries but in my garden we have "Blue" ones, "Coal" ones, "Long Tailed" ones as well as "Great" ones, and I believe that Airfix may have made a kit of one of them "Blue T*t" I think..

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, PeterB said:

That can be a problem in the US too I think.

the Tit, or Titmouse family in the US are Chickadees

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickadee

Yes, Airfix did a pair of Blue Tits, mentioned above.  

Interestingly,  a quick look suggest you could do some Chickadee species with a different paint job...

1024px-Mountain_Chickadee,_Santa_Fe_Ski_

By Peter Wallack - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7505111

800px-Eurasian_blue_tit_Lancashire.jpg

By © Francis C. Franklin / CC-BY-SA-3.0, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=37675470

Others could be found, as there are many similar in shape in the family

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_(bird)

In some way the Bullfinch was a poor choice. as a more widespread Finch size/shape is the Green/Gold/Chaffinch....

I digress,  but I hope of some interest @Orso  , I don't wish to clutter your thread.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Orso said:

Let's see if my birds get censored if I do the Big T...

It truely is a problem if censoring, self sensoring etc. does not consider and ignores the context...

:(

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1