Italeri 1/72 FW 189 A-2

Greetings all,

This is the latest off my bench - the Italeri 1/72 FW-189 A-2, and my first showing on Britmodeller, so hopefully this works!

Perhaps it was poor design, or poor workmanship on my part, but I ended up with 3-5 mm gaps between the fuselage and the wings, top and bottom. This required A LOT of putty, and a lot of sanding to make it relatively smooth. At the end of the day, I operated on my usual "close enough is good enough" and cracked on. The landing gear components didn't together well either, requiring some last minute adjustments. They're a bit crooked, but at least its standing.

I decided to try the Eastern Front winter camouflage scheme, using Vallejo Chipping Medium. This was my first time using it, and it didn't quite come out how I expected, but I think the end result is OK. I applied the decals as per the instructions, though I'm pretty sure stencils would have been under the white doping. Either way, I think it creates a nice contrast against the white.

At the end of the day, this is one build that I'm glad is off my bench. Whilst the construction was a painful process, I think the end result has come out alright.

Critique welcome.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 35

14 minutes ago, lewis25049 said:

At the end of the day, this is one build that I'm glad is off my bench. Whilst the construction was a painful process...

Such a relaxing hobby, isn't it?

But it certainly came out well in the end. Brilliant result with a realistic worn whitewash look. Nice one.

• Like 1

Very impressive build, I do like the FW189. Your build certainly does do the kit justice, I was looking at getting this kit a while ago, I might have to give it a shot but I have a very long list of other projects to get through. 

1 hour ago, lewis25049 said:

Perhaps it was poor design, or poor workmanship on my part

I very much doubt it was poor workmanship - I've currently got one on my workbench, slowly being beaten into submission. The fit leaves a lot to be desired. As well as the wing/fuselage gaps, I also had problems getting the transparencies smoothly installed. My attempt was edging towards the shelf of doom, but looking at your finished item, I think I'll persevere. Thanks for the motivation - good job!

Cheers,

Colin