Academy 1/72 JU87G-1 "Tank Buster" - First ever GB entry! (**FINISHED**)

TommyF

I'm back into plastic modelling :) after getting on for 40 years :) I love the idea of Group Builds and this is my Stuka STGB entry - an Academy 1/72 JU87G-1 "Tank Buster". Whilst thinking about this Group Build I happened across this YouTube documentary Dive Bombers And Combat Aircrafts Of WW2. The Stuka certainly had an interesting history throughout WW2. This Academy model features two decal sets, one of which was flown by Hptm Hans-Ulrich Rudel one of the most highly decorated Luftwaffe airmen. Many thanks Tom

49560766422_edcb931a4c_k.jpg

49560765102_6f26985100_c.jpg

Edited by TommyF
  • Like 6

Congratulations to your first Group Build Tom - hopefully the first of many!

I too got back into scale model building after a long gap five years ago and I am finding it a rewarding experience. So I hope that you will enjoy your Academy Stuka build.

Cheers, Peter

Mostly enjoying this Stuka - progress compilation below. Although I have recently bought the main colours for this model RLM 65, 70 & 71 I didn't have any RLM 66 'Black Gray' so mixed up some cheap WHSmith acrylics paints. They were a little shiny but once in the fuselage shouldn't be an issue. The decal for instrument panel was interesting - it just didn't want to stick. After repeated attempts considered using some glue but in the end left it out, painted that panel with the same mix as above and picked up some details in a light gray. In step 5 I was a little taken aback by the instruction to drill 14 holes in the lower wing panel. These are required to fit the radiators and cannon. Not having a drill that small I wiggled a darning type needle (!) back and forth until a hole appeared the other side. Also found a great resource with scale drawings and plans which has been and will be very helpful https://scale-model-aircraft.com/plans-drawings/interwar-aviation/junkers-ju-87-stuka

49568447131_3293293e58_c.jpg

Edited by TommyF
  • Like 2

Hi Chris - If you hadn't of pointed it out I'm not sure if I would have realised it was a fault..! Now I know where to look it stands out like a sore thumb (and on many Academy Stuka images on Flickr. Google & Britmodeller). Now I'm in two minds whether to attempt a fill or leave it as a badge of honour :)

• Like 1

Having never even considered using primer on a model aircraft 40+ years ago I thought it worth experimenting this time round - plus it looks meaner 🙂

I've also got a query. Do I remove the siren assembly 'stalk' from the landing gear fairings? I've read that the G-1 was derived from late model D-3 which had this assembly removed.

2020-02-29_10-43-34

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Greg Law said:

From the photos I have the early Ju 87D's did have the siren. The later ones didn't.  All the Ju 87G's I have seen didn't have them.

Thank you Greg. Beginners mistake on my part - the instructions (eyes open this time) say to cut away the siren assembly parts - (at least I spotted it) better late than never!

• Like 1

Painting progressing; Three thin coats RLM 65 (Humbrol 65 Matt - Aircraft Blue) for the underside completed. Followed by three thin coats  RLM 70 (Humbrol 241 Matt - Schwartzgrun) for the topside completed. Now starting on the subtle contrasting RLM 71 (Humbrol 242 Matt - Dunkelgrun) and having some fun with masking for the FIRST TIME! Wasn't going to bother but after an experiment there was something about the crisp (perhaps a bit too crisp?) lines that I had to carry on :)

49618247453_9cd51a0755_c.jpg

Edited by TommyF
  • Like 5

Painting complete - now ready for a satin varnish before decals. Then canopy options to choose, paint and fit. Decals, fit the cannons and the landing light and final varnish.

Getting there :) 

49639950288_e83ae5a199_c.jpg

• Like 3

Pretty much finished after getting a bit of shift on Friday, Saturday and today. Overall I'm very happy although it wasn't without its difficulties - the main being the landing light part disappearing into the wing void - oops...! I'm also going to need to practice decals, especially trying to avoid the silvering - I think caused by air underneath. I had planned on the Hptm. Rudel version which had B2 decals on the front of the spats but that really didn't work so swapped to the 1./SG1 version which has a rather lovely yellow nose. Hopefully get some gallery pics in daylight next week. Now to finish the In The Navy Airfix (old) Zero and then crack on with my first Lancaster :)

49662529263_9e94a323bd_b.jpg

Edited by TommyF
  • Like 6