Fuselage shade of red

Faraway

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 12:10 PM, Faraway said:

I am building the WNW Junkers D1, and one of the possible colours for the fuselage is red. I was wondering if anyone knows what shade it would be ?

I don't think the colour should be red at all. Isn't it some mistake? Maybe chocolate brown?

Edited by GrzeM

1 hour ago, GrzeM said:

I don't think the colour should be red at all. Isn't it some mistake? Maybe chocolate brown?

Why not ?
It’s known that some aircraft were painted red, so why not this one ?

Anyway, it’s done now, and I’m pleased with  it.spacer.png

Edited by Faraway
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, ARHinVA said:

I would think it would be a darker red (like the photo above) vs a "fire engine red".

But what do I know?

Not sure I understand, you say it would be a darker red ‘like the photo above’ that IS the red I painted it. The point is though, no one can say what shade of red, as there are no colour photos from the period. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faraway said:

Not sure I understand, you say it would be a darker red ‘like the photo above’ that IS the red I painted it. The point is though, no one can say what shade of red, as there are no colour photos from the period. 

Not only that but red is notoriously bad for being, generally, a thin pigment - unless you are slapping in red oxide to fill the fabric weave, but obviously not in this case.

When I sprayed my much-missed Rearwin, I sprayed it completely white before the red as there was no way the red paint would not have been tinted by being over Ali u/v paint. 

In the hypothetical case case of the a Junkers, I can’t imagine the luxury of applying too much of a primer system before what was basically a slap-it-on ident paint. From your pic it looks like ‘they’ have taken that into account and included some red oxide to beef it up.

i think it looks great

Edited by melvyn hiscock
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, melvyn hiscock said:

Not only that but red is notoriously bad for being, generally, a thin pigment - unless you are slapping in red oxide to fill the fabric weave, but obviously not in this case.

When I sprayed my much-missed Rearwin, I sprayed it completely white before the red as there was no way the red paint would not have been tinted by being over Ali u/v paint. 

In the hypothetical case case of the a Junkers, I can’t imagine the luxury of applying too much of a primer system before what was basically a slap-it-on ident paint. From your pic it looks like ‘they’ have taken that into account and included some red oxide to beef it up.

i think it looks great

Actually the paint I used was Tamiya XF-7 flat red, onto a grey primer. A right pain to spray the red onto the corrugated fusion. Not being flat I found I had to spray from all angles. 

Hello, Faraway -

Just joining in a bit late on this topic (sorry) -

As wingnut Wings state in the kit instructions, WW1 aircraft colours are contentious so I really don't think it really matters what red shade to go with.   When I built mine, I opted for a purple red which was purely my choice.

Certainly nobody can say for certainty exactly what paint shades were used especially in the absence of any colour photography during that period and documented records regarding colours tend to be described in vague terms anyway.   I know modellers have their own strong opinions but they are just that - opinions.

I suggest going with your own gut instinct on this one - I for one won't correct you!

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Hello, Faraway -

Just joining in a bit late on this topic (sorry) -

As wingnut Wings state in the kit instructions, WW1 aircraft colours are contentious so I really don't think it really matters what red shade to go with.   When I built mine, I opted for a purple red which was purely my choice.

Certainly nobody can say for certainty exactly what paint shades were used especially in the absence of any colour photography during that period and documented records regarding colours tend to be described in vague terms anyway.   I know modellers have their own strong opinions but they are just that - opinions.

I suggest going with your own gut instinct on this one - I for one won't correct you!

Regards

Dave

Dave.

I did just as you say, I only put the question out there just to hear others opinions, always nice to get a different angle on things.

And since being on this forum, I’ve come to realise there are some very strong opinions. Each to their own.

In the end I used what I had, Tamiya XF-7 matte red, and I was pleased with the result.

Jon

I have this kit to do and I really like the use of XF-7. It is very striking against the fuselage bands and camouflaged wings.  
Good looking model and thank you for posting.  
Andrew.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bear Paw said:

I have this kit to do and I really like the use of XF-7. It is very striking against the fuselage bands and camouflaged wings.  
Good looking model and thank you for posting.  
Andrew.  

Glad you liked it. Once the cockpit build is done, the rest flies (😂) together. Just make sure you don’t paint over ANY assembly lines, they are that close a fit 

Edited by Faraway