Victoria Cross, Wellington AA O R

On the night of July 7th 1941, over the Zuider Zee at 13,000 feet, Sergeant Pilot James Allen Ward climbed through the astrodome and onto the wing of his damaged Wellington, and attempted to smother a fire from shattered fuel lines caused by an attacking Me 110 night fighter.  After extinguishing the flames with an engine cover, he fought his way back into the aircraft.  For his brave action, he was awarded the Victoria Cross.   You have to love New Zealanders, what guts!

Well folks, this will probably be my last diorama. (Never say Never) But I do hope that you have enjoyed them.  I used the beautiful, Airfix 1/72 Wellington, Doyusha mini-motors, B-17 engine noise recorded to an MP3 player, fire LEDs, and the almost impossible to find Revell RAF Aircrew in 1/72.  The rest was using actual photos of the real aircraft and records from the crew.  Note the engine cover on SGT Ward's right hand, which was made from aluminum wrap and formed as though the 150 mph airspeed was blowing it back over Sergeant Ward's arm.

The first four are videos so click on them to see the action.

Photos

IMG_2825 (2)

IMG_2826 (2)

IMG_2831 (2)

IMG_2830 (2)

IMG_2829 (3)

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Very sad indeed.  One would think that a VC recipient would be pulled out of action and posted doing something safer.

That was the plan. A recruitment tour in New Zealand. Unfortunately he was killed before the order was received. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/20/2020 at 1:34 AM, stevehnz said:

Fantastic & poignant. Thanks for portraying this amazing exploit by my countryman. Your take on it is wonderfully well done.

Steve.

Heroes are always ordinary looking people who are capable of doing the extraordinary.   Can't help to think what a better world we would have had if SGT Ward, and others, lived.

382878?rendering=original.jpg

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...