Mr Color and Tamiya paint

ian wallace

Hi guys sorry in advance if this has been covered before

its just a quick question 

ive been advised by a good friend that I should start to use aqueous hobby Color paint 

unfortunately I bought the wrong stuff as I didn’t know mr hobby had two ranges of paint 

I bought the mr Color paint Instead

i was told that I could not use Tamiya paint with the mr Color paint because it will react

at the moment I have sprayed my f14 with mr Color 60/40 with ipa base colour then preshading with Tamiya 90/10 ipa or 60/40 ipa And then a aqueous gloss coat

now I’m afraid that the paint will react 

Any advice is very welcome 

thank you in advance 

You will have no problems whatsoever using Tamiya paints over the top of Mr Color, I do this all the time. I assume ipa is isopropyl alcohol? I personally would use the correct Mr Color thinner and Tamiya thinner instead of ipa to thin the paints, just my personal opinion..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can overcoat them, mix them, you can do whatever you want, they'll be fine. The only thing to keep in mind is if you're using gloss paints you should allow for a reasonable drying time before overcoating with something else. 

And since you didn't complain about the smell of Mr. Color paints maybe pick up some Mr. Leveling thinner. It's amazing stuff and it works with both Tamiya and Mr. Color (and a lot of other stuff).

• Thanks 1

I don’t  mind the smell at all. I do have the levelling thinner. I think I used the levelling thinner for the mr color and the ipa for the tamiya paint

i get ipa free from work 😉

so I’m guessing that you can use mr color and tamiya and the aqueous paint all together and they will work ok with no reactions 

Edited by ian wallace