MENG F-102A Delta Dagger (1:72)

reini

CONVAIR F-102A DELTA DAGGER, USAF, 431 FIS, 1962

Kit: Meng Convair F-102A Delta Dagger (DS-003)

Scale: 1/72

Paints: Vallejo Model Color

Weathering: Oil paints,

Brush painted Delta Dagger I did last summer. Very nice kit by Meng.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 45
  • Thanks 1

What have you painted with a brush using the Model Color?

Boy, if they told me that you painted the airplane with an airbrush, it would seem like a great job, but with a brush ... I have no words ...

Very nice in all aspects and with a weathering finish that I love.

Congratulations !!!!!!

Andrés S.

• Like 1

Reini,

If that's brush-painted, and I have no reason to doubt you, then I'm trashing my airbrushes and going back to paint-by-number artist sets! Very, very nice finish and weathering. (What is it about modelers from Finland- do they slap a brush in your hands when you are still in the crib?)

Mike

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Reini,

If that's brush-painted, and I have no reason to doubt you, then I'm trashing my airbrushes and going back to paint-by-number artist sets! Very, very nice finish and weathering. (What is it about modelers from Finland- do they slap a brush in your hands when you are still in the crib?)

Mike

Thanks! :D I don't think brush painting is particularly hard - but it's quite a lot of work and patience to get a good surface. And sometimes it's just about the particular shade of paint that you use that either co-operates or not. This grey in question went on nicely and did not need six layers to cover so it was nice. Big flat brush and thin enough paint with multiple layers.

But after getting an airbrush - I would not go back to brush painting, no way. :D 

8 hours ago, billn53 said:

Great job on that! Having recently finished my own Meng Deuce, I’m curious what your technique was for painting the candy-cane nose probe?
- Bill

Tamiya masking tape for curves. It has little bit weak glue on it, but there are some places where it just shines - like this.

spacer.png

Cut to desired width and just roll the item you want to mask, real easy to get it wrap around nicely. I first painted it white and then masked it for the red. If you press it down properly, no touch ups should be required. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, reini said:

Tamiya masking tape for curves. It has little bit weak glue on it, but there are some places where it just shines

Cut to desired width and just roll the item you want to mask, real easy to get it wrap around nicely. I first painted it white and then masked it for the red. If you press it down properly, no touch ups should be required. 

I’ve always had problems cutting Tamiya’s tape for curves and getting a consistent width. For my Deuce’s probe (also the tail hook) I used lead wire as my mask. 

29 minutes ago, billn53 said:

I’ve always had problems cutting Tamiya’s tape for curves and getting a consistent width. For my Deuce’s probe (also the tail hook) I used lead wire as my mask. 

True - and like you see my cuts aren't excactly straight either. But the wrapping around hides little inconsistencies.

2 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

really hard to believe thats brush painting, come on tell us your secret, thats the best brush painted model i ever seen, and i do this hobby 42 years already.

No secrets - just a big flat brush, thin enough paint and multiple coats. Or maybe my secret weapon was my primer - Tamiya Light Grey Fine Surface Primer spray paint, superb stuff that leaves really good surface to paint on.

But I am an airbrusher now - if I can do it with airbrush, I will.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Sweet Deuce, Reini.  I must finish mine.  I was leaning toward those markings as well.  I like my Century Series birds early.

Go for it, such a nice kit. I have the F-106 waiting too. And contemplating on getting another F-106 - I like the ADC grey 'old school' stuff - but would be tempted to try SEA camo on a Dagger too.