Starfighter with a Japanese twist back in the hanger

Dear Fellow Britmodellers

I hope you are not getting bored with my hanger?  They seem to accept a wide range of aircraft for servicing!  

Japan was one of the many countries who decided to buy Lockheed’s affordable and futuristic looking Mach-2 interceptor.  The 203 Squadron replaced the ageing F-86D sabres in the QRA role with the Starfighter in 1964 and held onto them until the advent of the F-15 replacement in 1984.  203 squadron are based at Chitose in Hokkaido (the north eastern island).  Don't ask me why they have a Teddy Bear with a star shaped bra for their symbol!  The majority of the 210 F-104J models were built by Mitsubishi in Japan.

ymGVw5w.jpg

pbXt5KW.jpg

opSdPE3.jpg

Sib6nAU.jpg

vGarb6d.jpg

TFzfHuA.jpg

The Hasegawa kit maybe somewhat old but its discrete panel lines are second to none.  Unfortunately, the fuselage is divided into nose and main body to allow for the manufacturer to easily have a twin seat model.  Mating the two halves perfectly is almost impossible.  The model has Eduard PE and a master pitot tube.  The kit is still sold and can be picked up very cheaply.

Hope you like it?

Regards

Andrew

• Like 70
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for kind comments everyone

The F-104 is such an ultra no compromise design it still takes your breath away.  Just as everyone thought you needed extreme swept wings, Lockheed went instead for small and thin instead.  I would still be frightened if I had to fly it though

Regards

Andrew

• Like 1

Beautiful model Andrew. You're right, the old Hasegawa F-104 is a work of art and way ahead of its time considering it first came out in 1989. What decals did you use?

Edited by Hobo

Thanks Vultures!

The Starfighter looks ultra slim compared to the Lightning.  The divergence in design at the time was amazing and to think many of the Engineers were not that long ago working on the piston engine fighters of WWII

Regards

Andrew

Nice work - in a nice Okinawan scheme to boot!

On 2/19/2020 at 9:56 PM, AndrewCJ50 said:

Don't ask me why they have a Teddy Bear with a star shaped bra for their symbol! 

The bear was one of Hokkaido's official mascots. I forgot the relevance of the two stars although it probably had to do with Hokkaido's flag.

Jay

• Like 1

Thanks Jay about the bear and Hokkaido, that would make sense being the Northern Island and having bears.  Think the bear has turned up on some other more recent aircraft like their F-15J

Regards

Andrew

On 2/20/2020 at 9:54 PM, AndrewCJ50 said:

The F-104 is such an ultra no compromise design it still takes your breath away.  Just as everyone thought you needed extreme swept wings, Lockheed went instead for small and thin instead.  I would still be frightened if I had to fly it though

Very nice model and diorama!!

A no compromise design?

No, the contrary! It compromised all other desrable features of a fighter plane! 

The main intended user saw no use for it.... just imagine USAF with a Starfighter based force like Japan was in like Vietnam... 

Wonder why Italy used it for so long though in frontline service...