Heather Couper has died

bentwaters81tfw

That’s sad news indeed. When I was working on and then editing Focus magazine in the early nineties, the visits from Heather and Nigel to talk about the regular columns and occasional features they did for us were always great fun, and usually accompanied by an entertaining and reasonably well lubricated lunch, IIRC! RIP, Heather, and condolences to friends and family, especially Nigel...

best,

M.

I’ve just seen this and very sad to hear.

70 is a young age to go these days, and can’t believe that she was that old.

RIP Heather

Graham

She was one of the first female space presenters on British TV and was a regular on The Sky at Night in the late 1970s/early 1980s -

Compared to the usual space experts seen on TV in that era, I thought she was incredibly glamourous.

Sky at Night episode from 1984 featuring Ms Couper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a81H2dAk2So

• Like 2

Sad news. She was a regular on kids' Saturday morning TV when there was an astronomy topic. Enthusiastic on her subject and keen to get other people interested in it too.

• Like 2

What a shame to lose my favourite TV astronomer. It's an even bigger shame that series like The Planets and The Stars aren't available on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Oh, well, we shall remember her and what she did to bring the universe into our homes -- and make it interesting to everyone.

ObModelling: I have a 1/3788 wargaming model of a Federation Galactic Survey Cruiser that I named after Heather years ago -- an insignificantly small tribute, but who better to name such a ship after?😉

• 3 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 8:34 PM, cmatthewbacon said:

That’s sad news indeed. When I was working on and then editing Focus magazine in the early nineties, the visits from Heather and Nigel to talk about the regular columns and occasional features they did for us were always great fun, and usually accompanied by an entertaining and reasonably well lubricated lunch, IIRC! RIP, Heather, and condolences to friends and family, especially Nigel...

best,

M.

Just catching up and found this sad news. I feel for her family deeply.

I did wonder if you were 'that' person. Brought Focus religiously until it started to change after ownership. Used to read it while waiting for my nephew's dialysis session then always left it in the waiting room. By next visit it would be a very tatty read. I remember reading about gene therapy in Focus then, a few years later, it changed my nephew's life completely. Now a very happy parent of perfectly healthy twin girls, and yes he's already reading shotgun reviews :D 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
3 hours ago, little-cars said:

With everything else going on I'd forgotten about her death, never did get to meet her, or Patrick Moore, or Arthur C Clarke.  

I met Patrick Moore when he was doing a book signing in Edinburgh. I was the only one who turned up - hopefully there were more after I left. I would have loved to have met Sir Arthur, if only to tell him "Thank you."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

I met Patrick Moore when he was doing a book signing in Edinburgh. I was the only one who turned up - hopefully there were more after I left. I would have loved to have met Sir Arthur, if only to tell him "Thank you."

Me to, should have asked Mat Irvine if I could sit in to one of their catch ups, too late now !   I have had a play with Arthur's typewriter that the original 2001 script was typed on while no one was around !spacer.png