Tamiya Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf.E/F

Jackhmn

Hey guys, 

2020 is here and it's time for a new project. This is the first step of my diorama called "Soviet Supplies", more on that soon in the diorama section of the forum. This particular build though is of Tamiya's brand new Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf.E/F in 1/35th scale. A useful and interesting overview of the vehicle history and characteristics is available on Tank Encyclopadia.com. https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi_germany/Panzer-38T.php 

Here is the plan I always do before commencing a build. 

Kit: 1/35 Tamiya Panzerkampfwagen 38(t) Ausf.E/F - No. 35369

Aftermarket: None 

Vehicle: Nr.522, 1st Company (light), 1st Battalion, 27th Panzer-Regiment, 19th Panzer-Division 

Location/Time: Velikiye Luki, Russia, 17th July 1941

Markings: Decals in the box

Finish: Produced in late 1940. Has been in combat for ~ a month. Extra spare tracks mounted on top of transmission cover. No damage of note. Marshy terrain around V.Luki, nice weather. 

Bit of a short one here since I did my research ages ago and have therefore forgotten most of it already. The build is already well underway so we'll pick up from here. Lower hull is completed and turret assembly about to start. 

Cheerio, 

Jack spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Me too........I need to do more of them. Looking forward to seeing this one built, and see if there's anything I need to know (not that I imagine many issues with a Tamiya).........had this one on the radar since it was released.

Looking good so far.

Simon.

17 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Me too........I need to do more of them. Looking forward to seeing this one built, and see if there's anything I need to know (not that I imagine many issues with a Tamiya).........had this one on the radar since it was released.

Looking good so far.

Simon.

Hi Simon, 

Not a single issue of note so far, the parts fit perfectly. As you say, Tamiya hardly ever disappoints. I'll make sure to point out any issues if indeed I encounter any. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi people, 

I hope you're healthy and coping as well as possible with the current situation wherever you may be in the world. Not much progress has been made on the Pz.38(t) since last month but expect the amount of updates to increase in frequency since I'm permanently @home. One thing I thought would be useful to post is my main reference image. This is an Ausf.E from the 19th Panzer Division in Russia just like the one I'm working on. I'm not entirely sure if its the exact vehicle (Nr.522) but there is a good chance. Note the "22" you can almost decipher on the turret. Going from the other numbers of tanks in 19th Panzer Division it is likely that a number five precedes it. Anyway it was good enough for me and I'm going with it in the absence of anything else. If you have any extra information the could help me figure out exactly which tank it is or if you have any other reference material on Nr.522 I'd be glad to see it! 

Keep well, 

Jack spacer.png

1. Separating Parts From The Sprue + Part Preparation

Today I completed the first step of the construction phase. I've disconnected every single part needed for the assembly from its respective sprue besides the figure. I then cleaned all these parts up, removed any mould marks, sanded the connection points in order to make them 100% ready to be put together. It ought to be said that, being Tamiya, this kit does not require much work besides removing the connection points. These new Tamiya kits are excellent because the mould marks are strategically located so you can even leave them and they won't be seen for the most part. The only real bits that needed work are all the pieces that make up the commander's hatch and cupola. Since these parts will be exposed from both sides I had to remove the circular mould marks present on the inside of these. Other than that, a real piece of cake...on to the interior. If I decide to do any interior detailing at all that is.

spacer.png

• Like 2