H.34 Sikorsky .

shark 64

Hi,

After finishing the Seahawk diorama i came across Hendies amazing Wessex helicopter build on this forum. His amazing work on it got me inspired to start  on mine.

I will be doing a Sub hunting version with the Artic camo,

Its probably incorrect but i like the two elements together.

Oliver. 

20200212_171723_zpsmvpzatfa.jpg

20200212_171430_zpskg9extuk.jpg

20200217_160527_zpscx8pnu79.jpg

20200209_150601_zps9mcebip8.jpg

Edited by shark 64
  • Like 14

You know I hope that the sub hunting Wessexes were powered by the Gazelle engine but the HC2 in camouflage was a troop carrier/load carrier general purpose type powered by two RR Gnome engines

They are two entirely different machines

But it is a Wessex we're talking about, so I am in. ☺

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, perdu said:

You know I hope that the sub hunting Wessexes were powered by the Gazelle engine but the HC2 in camouflage was a troop carrier/load carrier general purpose type powered by two RR Gnome engines

They are two entirely different machines

But it is a Wessex we're talking about, so I am in. ☺

Thanks. Probably one of coolest helo ever produced in my book. I am already looking into adding both engines to my build. 

I guess it wont be an accurate build.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oliver - I assume you have already bought the kit?  If not, I think Fly do an HAS3, which was the principal anti-submarine version (though of course maybe you’re aiming at a Mk.1).  Fitting the radar onto a Mk.2 or 5 might be interesting.

Mind you, what am I saying?  With your skills you are more than capable of building the entire thing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Oliver - I assume you have already bought the kit?  If not, I think Fly do an HAS3, which was the principal anti-submarine version (though of course maybe you’re aiming at a Mk.1).  Fitting the radar onto a Mk.2 or 5 might be interesting.

Mind you, what am I saying?  With your skills you are more than capable of building the entire thing!

I do have the kit. My ultimate dream build would be an H.34 in a  Vietnam version. looking at doing the nose conversion right now. Trying to find blue prints of the nose..anyone can help i would appreciate it. Thanks

• Like 1

'Sub hunting' and 'arctic camouflage' don't go together!  Not sure which version this will be, but the pic in Arctic camo is of a 72 Sqn. RAF HC.2. Both 18 Sqn. and 72 Sqn took part in winter exercises in Norway in 1970, but 'sub hunting' wasn't one of them!  They were just straight-forward troop transports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, junglierating said:

Hmm you could do a Wessex Mk 5 ...junglie in Arctic scheme...a permanent presents 

...clockwork navy.

I believe that the mk5 was fitted for but not with some as capability .before my time so not sure but I think the 'hole' for the torpedo is on a mk5

This is indeed correct and Junglie squadrons did in fact practise a/s exercises occasionally as this was a secondary role for them. They were however, fitted with the earlier type of sonar as fitted to the Wessex HAS1. What you are building there Oliver is the type of sonar fitted to the later Wessex HAS3. I have references referring to Junglie squadrons carrying out a/s exercises in Home and Far Eastern waters but not in the Arctic.

Hope That Helps

Martian 👽

• Like 2

thanks everyone for your input.  Copy on no sonar with arctic camo.  At this time i will push forward with the sonar rig inside the helo until of course change of plans in the build since my dream is to do an H 34 version using the kit. I am in process of gathering info on how to do that.  What color are the jungle squadron helos? 

Oliver

The seat frame is done but I am looking for photos of the seat belts, cushions, floating device attached to the seat.

Thanks.

20200223_151848_zpshqvrnxl5.jpg

20200223_152034_zps7g8uu7n2.jpg

20200223_151914_zpszht62hcw.jpg

Edited by shark 64
  • Like 11

On 2/20/2020 at 7:27 PM, shark 64 said:

I do have the kit. My ultimate dream build would be an H.34 in a  Vietnam version. looking at doing the nose conversion right now. Trying to find blue prints of the nose..anyone can help i would appreciate it. Thanks

Oliver get hold of the 4+ Plus book on the Wessex, it has scale drawings of all the different marks.

Colin

On 2/25/2020 at 4:37 AM, heloman1 said:

Oliver get hold of the 4+ Plus book on the Wessex, it has scale drawings of all the different marks.

Colin

Thanks Colin

will get book

• 2 weeks later...

Hi shark64 - What ever mark it turns out I'm sure it will be a fabulous model - you have the Midas touch looking at the detailing you have  made already

CJP

6 hours ago, CJP said:

Hi shark64 - What ever mark it turns out I'm sure it will be a fabulous model - you have the Midas touch looking at the detailing you have  made already

CJP

Thanks.