Beechcraft 18 Twin Beech American Airlines - Modified Encore 1/72 kit

On 2/25/2020 at 8:53 AM, 72modeler said:

@Moa,

Now you've gone and done it- I just got the AA  Beech 18 decals in the mail, and I found my Rareplanes C-45 vacform....now all I need to do  is to summon up enough nerve to do my first vacform, and in bare metal to boot! Curse you, styrene surgeon! (I'm glad very few of my U.S. modeling mates know about BM, or I would be deluged with Mach 2 kits for even thinking about building a civil type!)

Mike

Brave man!

You have my moral support and unrestricted commendation.

I know you are an accomplished modeler, but may I suggest a simpler project for a first vac?

something in the lines of this:

The RarePlane is a nice vac, you may get away with it, but perhaps it would be safer to cut your teeth with a project that will easily train you on the particularities of the media.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 25/02/2020 at 16:53, 72modeler said:

I just got the AA  Beech 18 decals in the mail, and I found my Rareplanes C-45 vacform....

Well......?? 

Are you in there yet, Mike? 

I've been doing battle with a pair of Pioneer injection kits and I'm just about getting there. 

PM has released them again and they are on the shelves for next to nothing, if you want an alternative to the vac kit. 

But sometimes you just got to pile in and try out with a challenge. 

The only vac kit I have is a Fairey Albacore and it's staying in the box for a while yet! 

It was these Beech builds of his that persuaded me to try again with a shelved PM kit....... and then I got another one 😃

But I got revenge on him.... 

I have windscreen wipers on mine, and tail light fittings on the elevators 😎

Thought I'd give you a bump to see if you are on with the Twin Beech... 👍

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Thought I'd give you a bump to see if you are on with the Twin Beech...

Nope- not yet. I did see on the Big H that PM was releasing all three of their boxings, so I have an order in for the AT-11, as that is the one I like the best, in early bare metal USAAC mkgs. with rudder stripes and 'US Army'  under the wings. I have the Rareplanes kit, and both of the Hobbycraft kits- the F and H, so I'm thinking when the bug bites, I should be able to cobble up something decent; plus, I've got @Moa's builds as the perfect modeling reference! (BTW, Moa Meister- have you shaken all your recent illnesses?) Shiny bare metal finishes scare the lederhosen off of me!

Thanks for the heads-up on the re-releases, Rob. Just wish we had some nice vacform transparencies for all three kits and props with decent hubs. Oh, well- that's what vacforming machines and scratchbuilding is for! Hoping you and yours are safe and healthy!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

(BTW, Moa Meister- have you shaken all your recent illnesses?)

Thanks for asking, Mike

Not completely. Third visit to the urgent care two days ago, some symptoms don't want to go away.

Still no test available unless you are basically on your last legs, coming from affected countries, or are famous, rich, or a politician (the last three, go figure, are many times combined), because, you know, we are in America..

I surely am better than I was during the worst of it, but there is an underlying something that lingers, very stubbornly. Won't abound on details.

On the mend, I hope.

Cheers

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1