Beechcraft 18 Twin Beech American Airlines - Modified Encore 1/72 kit

IMG_01+%25281280x985%2529-1.jpg

IMG_02+%25281280x965%2529+%25282%2529.jp

Contemplating the harmonious lines of a well-designed classic twin is always a pleasure, and for those privileged to have seen them in person, a sight to remember.

In its attractive American Airlines livery the plane seems to invite its ten passengers to ply the skies above serene landscapes, in comfort and relaxation, including a restroom.

Not for nothing this era of aviation is called "golden".

This endeavor started as a comparative build -of the same airplane type- against a Rareplane vacuformed kit.

The building process of both kits can be visited here:

The model is based -as explained in the building article- on a revamp by Encore of the original -and frankly poor- PM kit. This new boxing included -to no exceptional advantage to me- some resin bits that were supposed to be an upgrade, and a very bad new transparency, that in my sample only deserved the trash can, with apologies to the trash can. A few of the resin parts are identical to those of the original kit, or worse, and only the cabin door, exhausts, cowls and engines are of use (if you are not too picky, especially regarding the cowls).

The kit's alternate civil decals that tempted me to buy the boxing are a total fiasco, since the real scheme was applied to a highly modified plane of later date, that has very little to do with the kit, having, among other changes, squared wing tip additions, and three-blade props. So it's either kit surgery or trashing those nice -but useless- decals. Thus I went a different path, adding interior and exterior detail and commissioning a decal sheet from Arctic Decals for a plane used by American Airlines.

I know that there were other Beech 18 kits issued by Hobbycraft, and having such variety of nice civil liveries, I am surprised that a better injected kit doesn't exists, or at least an upgrade set -that makes sense, that is.

In any case these old platforms can be turned into fair models with some work (and research, something many manufacturers don't bother with). Many of you have one or other of these incarnations (RarePlane, Encore, PM; Hobbycraft) in the stash. I think they make for a good skill-honing project, without pretending to obtain the ultimate model.

Personally, I find the venerable RarePlane vac superior to these much modern alternatives so far in the market; you may have a look here:

Knowing the limitations of this kit (which are various) I may venture -some day- into another conversion, since there are things that I could do better after having dealt now with this kit.

Even though it took some time and no little work, here is the result obtained with the Encore kit, with which I am fairly pleased, all things considered.

IMG_03+%25281280x960%2529+%25282%2529.jp

IMG_04+%25281280x966%2529+%25282%2529.jp

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

wow, just filling the fuselage feed troughs made such a difference and it'd even certified for flight. Did you throw it in the air or sit it on a glass table for the inflight pictures?

😄

It's equipped with two working 1/72 engines.

Had to sort out some Reynolds numbers issues, but finally the 1/72 pilot agreed to fly it.

@John Aero did the certification after close inspection revealed this time no degrading rubber components.

(That's actually not true, I actually asked

@Martian Hale to do some of his telekinesis tricks and hold it in the air a bit for the photos).

(Not true, again: I used a thin glass pane held in one hand, the camera on the other, the model precariously balanced on top of the glass, my neighbors congregating and taking videos with their smartphones).

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Every time I see one of your masterpieces, I'm tempted to throw all my stash, kits, paints and all, into the backyard and burn the lot! 

But I don't because that would be an environmental disaster!

Beautiful work, Moa!

Chris

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Every time I see one of your masterpieces, I'm tempted to throw all my stash, kits, paints and all, into the backyard and burn the lot! 

But I don't because that would be an environmental disaster!

Beautiful work, Moa!

Chris

We all feel the same when we see a model we like. But, as much fun as I do have with them, and at the same time try hard, they are not masterpieces, and have those little things that nag us (and hopefully just us!).

As long as we enjoy them, as long as we, little by little, improve, they are all masterpieces of patience, will, dedication, the best of the skills we can provide at a given moment, and the fun in sharing and commenting and learning and laughing.

I am a visual artist. Have been for many decades. I have sold quite a lot, exhibited quite a lot in many countries, won a few judged exhibits. I am OK. I like some things I painted or sculpted. Still, I stand in front of the admired ones, and I also want to trash everything (I have done it, actually, for real, twice in my life, to my ulterior great regret). We are all somewhere on the path. further or behind. At the very end is death. For all. So we better bloody enjoy it while it lasts. 😉

• Like 3

Another beauty, Mr. Moa. In my view, I agree with you that the other vac model was superior, but I like more the finish of this one. It has more the look of an airplane which is doing its job, as it should be. Very well done.

Best regards,

Daniele 

• Thanks 1

@Moa

First off, I am not even in the same universe as you when it comes to scratchbuilding, conversion, or even model-making, and I have enjoyed seeing and learning from each and every one of your posted builds. The AA Beech 18 is one incredibly well-done example of model building of a very beautiful and classic twin! I have saved your WIP and RFI as inspiration and reference  for one that I'd like to build someday. That being said, after looking at your photos, it seems (to me at least) that the mainwheel tires are too narrow in width. See the attached photo for your examination, and you can also go to the internet for more photos. Knowing how thoroughly you research all of your builds, as well as taking into consideration the fact that some preserved examples have had different wheels and brakes fitted, I just wanted to submit this for your perusal. Looking at the photos I have of USAF and USN Bugsmashers that I have taken, they all look to have fatter tires.

Mike

https://www.pilotweb.aero/features/flight-test-beech-18-expeditor-1-4923761

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Dstream said:

Another beauty, Mr. Moa. In my view, I agree with you that the other vac model was superior, but I like more the finish of this one. It has more the look of an airplane which is doing its job, as it should be. Very well done.

Best regards,

Daniele 

Thanks Daniele

Beauty, as they say, is in the eyes of the beholder... 😉

Cheers

Oh wow, only last week I ventured into the local model shop, you can hardly call it that, mostly die cast but a few plastic models. One a PM Beech 18. 

I was tempted but stepped outside and googled it. Britmodeller was not enthusiastic. I left it but reluctantly . I really like the Beech 18 not least because one was based where I flew. Indeed my aero medical examiner got to fly it. As he was pleased to let me know as he poked around. 

But I doubt I could do it justice in the way you have. 

Probably have to buy a real one. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

@Moa

First off, I am not even in the same universe as you when it comes to scratchbuilding, conversion, or even model-making, and I have enjoyed seeing and learning from each and every one of your posted builds. The AA Beech 18 is one incredibly well-done example of model building of a very beautiful and classic twin! I have saved your WIP and RFI as inspiration and reference  for one that I'd like to build someday. That being said, after looking at your photos, it seems (to me at least) that the mainwheel tires are too narrow in width. See the attached photo for your examination, and you can also go to the internet for more photos. Knowing how thoroughly you research all of your builds, as well as taking into consideration the fact that some preserved examples have had different wheels and brakes fitted, I just wanted to submit this for your perusal. Looking at the photos I have of USAF and USN Bugsmashers that I have taken, they all look to have fatter tires.

Mike

https://www.pilotweb.aero/features/flight-test-beech-18-expeditor-1-4923761

Thanks Mike

Many things can be adjusted and made a bit more accurate.

I used the wheels and legs that came with the kit. Frankly, I did not look at them a second time.

Changing wheels, though, would have implied changing legs (fabricating them from scratch) and then therefore investing more time and effort on the model, which already consumed a pretty amount of it.

Your point is important, though, because I spent that time inside the model (cabin, toilet... and toilet roll!) but almost nothing of that is visible now, whilst the wheels are.

As I said in the presentation of the model: now that I am a bit familiar with its pros (few) and cons (unlimited), a better model could be made from that kit.

For the sake of information, Eduard used to make a PE set for the kit, but now seems OOP and unobtainable.

One day.... 😉

4 minutes ago, Moa said:

Eduard used to make a PE set for the kit,

I actually have this! It's one of their early etched sets and isn't pre-painted, but you are correct that it's the only ball game in town! I'm saving it and my Rareplanes vacform to do an AA Beech like yours; I didn't know there were AA decals for the 18, but I found a set and have ordered them, as there isn't really a military or civil scheme that I like, except for the AA livery. I definitely understand your reasoning behind the wheels and struts you used, I was just surprised that with all your meticulous research and attention to detail, that you would have let those 'skinny' wheels go on! Thanks for sharing the histories and the modeling techniques with the rest of us!

Mike

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, noelh said:

Oh wow, only last week I ventured into the local model shop, you can hardly call it that, mostly die cast but a few plastic models. One a PM Beech 18. 

I was tempted but stepped outside and googled it. Britmodeller was not enthusiastic. I left it but reluctantly . I really like the Beech 18 not least because one was based where I flew. Indeed my aero medical examiner got to fly it. As he was pleased to let me know as he poked around. 

But I doubt I could do it justice in the way you have. 

Probably have to buy a real one. 

Nah, give it a try, you are perfectly capable of turning that kit into something good.

Get the Encore version if you can, to use the engine, cowls, exhausts and door. The rest is resin confetti.

It's a bit laborious but more about those trenches. Once that is dealt with, the rest is just touches here and there.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I actually have this! It's one of their early etched sets and isn't pre-painted, but you are correct that it's the only ball game in town! I'm saving it and my Rareplanes vacform to do an AA Beech like yours; I didn't know there were AA decals for the 18, but I found a set and have ordered them,

I commissioned as you probably read in the WiP a set from Arctic Decals, even knowing of the other set that you mentioned, because I think (I may be wrong) that is an inkjet set that either comes with or needs a few layers of varnish to be used.

I also have a second model of the vac, sleeping warm and cozy in the stash.

9 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I actually have this!

Oh, Mike, it seems you are unaware of the terrible Eduard Beech 18 PE set Curse! you have to give it to another modeler, pronto! otherwise all your models will turn into Merlin kits!

(I offer myself unselfishly to be the sober recipient, since as a monk, the curse has no power over me)

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Moa said:

Oh, Mike, it seems you are unaware of the terrible Eduard Beech 18 PE set Curse! you have to give it to another modeler, pronto! otherwise all your models will turn into Merlin kits!

(I offer myself unselfishly to be the sober recipient, since as a monk, the curse has no power over me)

Oh, you are a prince among men, sir! Nice try! (Next thing you know, you will offer me some horrible Mach 2 kits in exchange- I'm on to you, you knave!) 😠

Mike

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moa said:

Nah, give it a try, you are perfectly capable of turning that kit into something good.

Get the Encore version if you can, to use the engine, cowls, exhausts and door. The rest is resin confetti.

It's a bit laborious but more about those trenches. Once that is dealt with, the rest is just touches here and there.

Cheers

Maybe, but meanwhile I'm forcing the issue by finishing a Corsair, my favourite aeroplane. I have literally haven't finished a kit this century. 

But I'll pick up the damn thing tomorrow the second kit this century. 

• Like 1