Delta blue

feoffee2

The real thing is Pantone 654, which is vastly different from any Blue Angels airplane I’ve ever seen.  Here it is from the Delta corporate identity document on the current colour scheme:

Much closer to US Insignia Blue than Blue Angels blue, which is a vibrant royal blue colour.

spacer.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NorthBayKid said:

The real thing is Pantone 654, which is vastly different from any Blue Angels airplane I’ve ever seen.  Here it is from the Delta corporate identity document on the current colour scheme:

Much closer to US Insignia Blue than Blue Angels blue, which is a vibrant royal blue colour.

spacer.png

Is this for paint or for electronic / marketing materials?

Those colour coordinates are nothing like anything available in physical paint form.

They convert to L20.74 a1.89 b-34.99 which is both very dark and very intense blue.

Blue Angles blue in FS595 is L31.6 (so a lot lighter) a-1.91 (green hint rather than red) b-14.56 (less than half the intensity of blue).

There are several Insignia Blues in FS595 but all have L values of around 30 and b values around half or less the blueness of the corporate branding above.

I strongly suspect their paint colours are something else. Pantone is pretty useless for paint - it's a system designed for ink printing.

The US only has one Insignia Blue colour - FS 15044.

These colours are for web and print use, but they are the equivalents to the custom paints used on the aircraft.  Corporate identity departments' job is to ensure uniformity.  There is essentially no difference to what you see on the aircraft.  I was just in Atlanta last week (thanks to United for the cancelled flight - I sat there for hours), and every Delta aircraft I saw looked exactly like the sample above.  None of them looked anything like the Blue Angels.

With respect, I disagree with you re FS595.

FS15044 is typically named "Dark Blue" or "Aircraft Insignia Blue" and equivalenced with ANA502

FS35048 is typically named "Post office Dark Blue" or "Insignia Blue"

FS25048 is typically named "Insignia Blue"

FS35044 is typically named "Aircraft Insignia Blue" and equivalenced with ANA608

FS35048 is typically named "Insignia Blue"

Irrespective of your photograph of a jet, the published colour coordinates for all the above as well as FSx5050 Blue Angels Blue according to the Federal Standard 595 are both lighter and less intensely blue than the coordinates on that file above. One or the other logically must be wrong. I will reiterate that Pantone is an ink printing system, not a paint system.

The US FS595 colours do not have names.  Any names attached to them are attached by someone other than the US government.  The whole point of the exercise when the 595 system was implemented in the 1950s was to eliminate the confusion caused by different names for the same colour, differing standards, etc.  

Be all that as it may, none of the Delta jets I’ve seen with my own eyes look anything like the blue that I’ve seen with my own eyes on Blue Angels F-18s.  Delta’s blue (per the colour standard I posted) is much darker.

I'm just applying logic and using the colour coordinates quoted. I appreciate that most don't understand colour coordinates.

The above coordinates are miles away from anything in FS595.

As a model paint manufacturer, I am infact fairly conversant with the various colour standards used around the world. There's only so many different ways I can say the same thing though. There is nothing in FS595 close to that Pantone blue.

I'm out of this now. Not my pig, not my farm.

BAC 51519 is a custom mix (the "BAC" is a Boeing-specific code) used to get aircraft paint that matches the corporate colour specs that the livery designers came up with (Pantone 654).  The colour scheme springs from that, not the other way round.