TSR.2 Which kit?

At Sea

An appeal to the hive mind please.

Currently looking to add a TSR.2 to my collection and have the luxury of choosing 1/48 or 1/72.

I build Big stuff like V-Bombers in 72nd but Phantom's & Tornados & the like in 48th.

As the TSR.2 straddles the divide and will sit in either display cabinet I wanted to know which is the best (or least worst) of the 2 Airfix Kits to build?

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I have been toying with this as well...the 1/48 kits look great but go for silly money....the 1/72 seems to lack a bit detail though.

That being said, after market parts for both scales are in abundance.

Like wise I have built the 1/72 kit but have never quite got round to starting the 1/48 one yet.

I would suggest that if building the 1/72 kit you carefully consider the various on-line and printed reviews and builds beforehand and then approach it as you would a limited-run kit taking a quite a bit more care and dry fitting at each stage than you might feel usually necessary with an Airfix kit.

Although I have not started on the 1/48 kit my general impression from dry fitting various parts is that it was slightly more than just a scaling up of the earlier smaller kit and so the fit is a lot better but beware in both scales there is a tendency for the main undercarriage to bow out if not reinforced.

Alternatively for a real challenge and if you can find it there is the 1/72 Merlin kit in which no two parts touch far less join together.

3 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

If you can find one, the Dynavector kit in 1/48 is pretty good, IMHO....

best,

M.

What he said. Even though a Vac-Form kit if you follow the instructions it goes together very well.

Here is my 1:72 attempt:

I used a LOT of aftermarket etch and resin, and I think she came out OK. Even in 1:72 scale, though, she is a big model. The link above is for the RFI post, but it contains a link to the WIP where you can see how she went together.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Here is my 1:72 attempt:

I used a LOT of aftermarket etch and resin, and I think she came out OK. Even in 1:72 scale, though, she is a big model. The link above is for the RFI post, but it contains a link to the WIP where you can see how she went together.

Cheers,

Bill

That looks like a stunning effort, and the CMK bays make it look so much better than some I've seen.

It is a big aircraft...  This may be the way to go.

On 19.02.2020 at 18:38, Timmas said:

Я построил версию 1/72, но я думаю, что 1/48 является наименее худшим. Некоторое вдохновение здесь ...

Thanks!

• Like 1

If you do not want the 48th version, that is really bug and can swallow loads of aftermarket on top, why not go for the 144 version from Pit Road?

Nicely detailed it is!

Built the Contrail 1/48 version - the price was right and I was up for a challenge.  The result looks ok to me, but I would like to compare it to an Airfix version one day.  If the price is right.  Just like the 1/48 Airfix Buccaneer.

On 2/19/2020 at 11:52 AM, Des said:

Alternatively for a real challenge and if you can find it there is the 1/72 Merlin kit in which no two parts touch far less join together.

That's a rather charitable description of the Merlin kit but, with about 1lb of filler, lots of patience and a small dose of insanity, it is buildable.  I did it last year.  No comments on my mental state, please.

David

On 2/22/2020 at 10:52 PM, JohnT said:

There’s a 1/32 version on the way I believe

Not cheap but will look spectacular 👀 

Interesting, but by which manufacturer?

Having built 2 airfix kits and also with a 1:72nd in the stash, I'm less than impressed by their quality.

The Airfix 1/72 kit is far more accurate than its 1/48 scale brother, and still a good size. Add the CMK after market bits and pieces and it's a great model.

For some reason, the larger 1/48 kit has a bulged then tapered forward fuselage which for me spoils the look of the beast.

There's a series of posts by General Melchett from several years back in which he attempted to cure the problem.

For that reason I got a Dynavector vacform which has a much better shape.

I may attempt to modify the Airfix one with F-15/F-14 style rectangular variable ramp intakes to hide the change in cross section from `a corrected forward fuselage to the mid fuselage, if I ever get the time.

14 hours ago, David Womby said:

That's a rather charitable description of the Merlin kit but, with about 1lb of filler, lots of patience and a small dose of insanity, it is buildable.  I did it last year.  No comments on my mental state, please.

David

Congratulations on the magnificent job you have done with the Merlin kit.     Just took my abandoned attempt out of the 'to finish sometime' box and was reminded that I managed to get the rear fuselage halves to join , although if it were possible to get the mid-fuselage halves to join (top half is wider than the bottom half and the joint on one side is straight while the other is an arc) it would be too wide/tall to fit with either the rear fuselage or cockpit units even although the latter actually fits together quite well.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reparty said:

The Airfix 1/72 kit is far more accurate than its 1/48 scale brother, and still a good size. Add the CMK after market bits and pieces and it's a great model.

For some reason, the larger 1/48 kit has a bulged then tapered forward fuselage which for me spoils the look of the beast.

There's a series of posts by General Melchett from several years back in which he attempted to cure the problem.

For that reason I got a Dynavector vacform which has a much better shape.

Here's a great build of the Airfix 1/72 scale by @Navy Bird ...

...and here's the 1.48 version by @general melchett ...

They're both stunning pieces of work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, hairystick said:

Interesting, but by which manufacturer?

Having built 2 airfix kits and also with a 1:72nd in the stash, I'm less than impressed by their quality.

Alan Wilson of Icelandic Fine Arts - see his work on here re his 1/48 Vulcan and 1/32 Buccaneer. Happy to say I am happy having both. 

• Like 1