Tiger interior colours

Lawzer

Folks,

what would the correct interior colours be for a tiger 1 from June ‘44?

instructions call for dark gray on the lower hull and “light interior” (9 parts flat white to 1 part flat green).

on a quick search I believe the light interior is called elfenbein?  And from some sources the lower hull should be a dark red?

and another quick,search seems to indicate the elfenbein is not available as a ready colour (I hate mixing paint as I never mix enough!!).

so, what would the experten recommend?

tia!

ian

Edited by Lawzer

l'm certainly no Tiger experten, but I used to  have a book with excellent interior photos of a preserved example and the interior paint is a creamy, light brown throughout. Obvioulsy, we have to consider the possibility that the interior has been repainted since the war on this example.

Chris. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lawzer said:

on a quick search I believe the light interior is called elfenbein?  And from some sources the lower hull should be a dark red?

and another quick,search seems to indicate the elfenbein is not available as a ready colour (I hate mixing paint as I never mix enough!!).

Hi Ian,

Expert, far from, however for interior colour you could use AK Cremeweiss AK 092, by the time its weathered it should look fine. Generally the crew areas would be in white whilst the rest in the dark red.

Best wishes

Darryl

Edited by Jasper dog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

If that's Xtracolor 818, see what David Byrden has to say about it at the bottom of JackG's linked article!

Ah! I did actually modify my own pot quite heavily to what seemed more realistic to me, but I do that quite often anyway ...

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 9:34 AM, Lawzer said:

Folks,

what would the correct interior colours be for a tiger 1 from June ‘44?

instructions call for dark gray on the lower hull and “light interior” (9 parts flat white to 1 part flat green).

so, what would the experten recommend?

tia!

ian

Colourcoats do a German intererior cream, which, on the tin I have, is called 'Elfenbein Interior Cream'.  The current item on the Colourcoats site does not call it Elfenbein, however.  https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/wehrmacht-german-army/products/arg01-german-tank-interior-cream

• Like 1

Thanks folks!

i ended up mixing a few drops of I think ijn green into a new pot of xf2 and the result was ok to my colour blind (yes - I am actually colour blind) eyes so when applying it I though that looks a bit strange. I’d only gone and bought a bottle of x2......so it’s turned out a bit errr odd.....😳

Edited by Lawzer

I really can't imagine, why you'd thought to add green to flat white. Elfenbein is more like yellowish-white, not light green.

To mix it myself I would go with flat white and add some yellowish-tan tint to it.

• Like 1