Rejuvenating Mr Surfacer and crusty jars

Filler

I learnt of the existence of Mr Color Replenishing Agent and was thinking to buy a bottle as I have two jar of Mr Surfacer (500 & 1000) that haven't been much used. So in theory it would be cheaper to buy the replenisher than two new jars of Surfacer.

However, I am struggling to imagine how I get the mix back to its original viscosity as I can't remember what it is supposed to be like. And this I imagine would render it very difficult to mix for airbrushing.

Any ideas how I might be able to do this successfully?

The second part of this query is; how do you guys avoid the crusty build up on jars of paint and especially Mr Surfacer? This seems a major issue as it must be nearly impossible to avoid contamination once some of these bits fall into the liquid. I assume replenishing agent will be of no help here. And it's too think to strain, surely?

The 500 one is really thick. Think of it as disolved putty. If I dip a brush in it and jut pick it up it pretty much stays on the brush. I only used it for filling tiny imperfections so that's perfect for me.

The 1000 one is a bit more fluid, just a bit thicker than a jar of Mr. Color paint. I just top it up with Leveling thinner until it reaches the "neck" of the bottle, and I keep doing it as I use it up until I get to a watery like consistency. From one jar of "1000" I probably get 3 jars "airbrush ready".

I wouldn't bother with the replenishing agent, just use Leveling thinner.

I can't be bothered with the crust on these, I've had some fall back in the bottle several times but it was nowhere to be found days later (being a lacquer it probably just disolves it). And I'm not too worried when it happens at the very beginning of a priming session because they're typically too large to get sucked into the pipette.

• Like 1

I only use the Replenishing Agent on the actual Mr Color paints. Like bmwh548 I just use the Levelling Thinner to 'restore' Mr Surfacer. I don't worry too much about the original viscosity as they have to be thinned a bit for airbrushing anyway.

Duncan B

I agree with @bmwh548 on this and really had no problems although I do tend to keep the lid cleaner on the 1500 (less "crusty" than 500 anyway) as it is used mainly in the airbrush.  I no longer keep "airbrush ready" mixes just mix as required, which is often as the black 1500 is my preferred undercoat. 

To clean takes less than a minute if you so desire.

Tools of Trade - Because it's what I have on the shelf:

Cleaning_MrSurfacer_1

Cleaning_MrSurfacer_2

You can see the 500 is crusty … shows how much I worry about this.

Cleaning_MrSurfacer_3

Voila … seconds.

Protect you lungs and good ventilation.

I think mix the thickness to what you like if it can be rejuvenated. Stay on the "thicker" side you can always thin.

One phenomena, no science just an observation, that I have noted with adding small quantities of the thinners to the jar with small quantities of the lacquers, is it seems to accelerate the drying in the jar. I can come back to a jar with no thinners added and still have a small quantity of useable paint. If thinners have been added it is dry. Possibly the Rejuvenator has something to assist in extending curing time.  I have no problems if I premix a jar of surface/thinners as suggested by @bmwh548.

Ray

• Thanks 1

I use the Tool Cleaner on the hard to remove. It is aggressive and I expect it would melt the glove given time. I avoid getting it in the jar and finish wipe with Thinner. It will probably have no effect, just something that is easy to avoid.

As I've only used Mr Surfacer 1000 and only applied it carefully with a wooden toothpick or my modified sewing needle, I've never had to thin it. As for the build-up on the jar's rim, I just wipe it off with a paper towel upon opening it after a vigorous shake. I also wipe the inside the lid.

Chris