100 Sqn Canberra TT.18 in 1/48th?

Lord Riot

I have the old Airfix Canberra B.2 and their newer B(I)6 in the stash in 1/48, I would like to build one from Wyton circa 1987. Ideally the TT18 with black and yellow stripes would look good in such a large scale, but I can't find the target pods in aftermarket, nor, perhaps surprisingly any 100 sqn tailfin markings.

Are there any available, or is it relatively easy to scratch build the Rushton pods? 

Which of the Airfix Canberra kits would be best to convert to a TT18?

If the pods/conversion prove difficult perhaps I could just do a 100 Sqn B2 instead, I believe they operated some in the 80s, albeit grey underneath not yellow & black. Perhaps a question for @canberra kid?

TT.18s were converted from B.2s so using that as the base kit is the best way forward. 

Having said that the Airfix Canberra's are pretty generic (being kind now), so the other boxing's are probably suitable.

Don't forget there is a navigators window each side on the TT.18, can't remember if the B.2 kit features that. Use the multi spoked wheels, not the four wide spoke type.

Alleycat conversion is the best way of achieving a TT.18.

100 Sqn ended up operating a variety of Canberra's in the camo era, including B.2s, PR.7s and E.15s, so plenty of choice.

Only the TT.18s had the stripey bottoms!

• Thanks 1

Hi @Lord Riot

As others have said you don't have to stick to a TT.18, but if you still want to you could build her with the pylons but no pods, 100 Sqn did fly the TT.18's that way on occasions, if you want an idea what is involved in making a B.2 into a TT,18 take a look at my currently stald Classic Airframes TT.18 build here TT.18 build, but as James says, from the Airfix kit you could build the B.2 TT.18 or E.15 without too much trouble.

John   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you gents.

I've been looking at quite a few TT18 photos and a lot of these Canberras seem to have their grey camo quite pale compared to the DSG of Tornados, Jags, etc.

I assume this is down to fading, but I'm wondering whether it may be more realistic to use medium sea grey for this, anyone have any thoughts?

10 hours ago, Jabba said:

Those ones were ex Royal Navy aircraft that never got painted in standard RAF colours.

Interesting, does that mean the ones with paler grey like this one just had their dark green painted over the RN all-over grey?

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot

No the camo aircraft were painted in Dark Sea Grey and Dark Green, the DSG fade quickly though.

Notice in that pic the cockpit area hasn't faded like the rear fuselage.

The Light Aircraft Grey on the Navy jets was a very different tint.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

Interesting, does that mean the ones with paler grey like this one just had their dark green painted over the RN all-over grey?

spacer.png

The only ex RN TT.18 that kept the Light Aircraft grey was the one I was building, all the others were standard Dark sea grey and dark green. If you want to fade the paint work I'd just add a touch of white to the standard colours.

John

• Like 2

WK123 did serve in the Light Aircraft Grey and stripey underside very briefly with the RAF but was quickly repainted in the DSG/LG camo.

WJ639 C X retained the Navy LG and stripey underside when it was in RAF service, it kind of looked like it was in a special scheme with the black fin & rudder.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 71chally said:

WK123 did serve in the Light Aircraft Grey and stripey underside very briefly with the RAF but was quickly repainted in the DSG/LG camo.

WJ639 C X retained the Navy LG and stripey underside when it was in RAF service, it kind of looked like it was in a special scheme with the black fin & rudder.

She was James, Charley X-Ray was the unofficial 100 Sqn flagship. 

John

• Like 2

The darker grey on C-Y is probably down to the exhaust from the engine start cartridge... they kick out a huge amount of black smoke... (first time I took part in a start up I almost used the fire extinguisher,  convinced we had a starter fire )

The only time these 'planes were clean was after a hanger service.... they were washed before they went in... but first thing on bringing one out would be engine run, back to dirty again...

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

I still think MSG would be too light and not blue enough, these are some of my photos the show a bit of the weathering seen on 100 Sqn Canberra's. The first one shows a nice contrast between a relatively new paint finish on WH718 and a well worn one on WK127.

spacer.png

next WK118

spacer.png

more of WK127, as you can see she was quite grubby, the upper wing was very faded, but it still looks bluer than MSG to me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

John 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I spent 4 years floating between 231 OCU & 100 SQDN  at Marham in the late 70's... I never saw any 2 paint jobs that looked the same, 6-7 on the OCU, 17(ish) on 100. Only time I saw a repaints  was when the red/white and grey/dayglow T4's were camouflaged, I think at St Athens..... but even then, we had two return within a month of each other, but the grey looked different.

so unless you have really good colour pics, you can't really go wrong..... remember, these 'planes were well used, and kept outside in all weather's.....

Dave 

Edited by DaveH
  • Like 3

@canberra kid thanks John those pictures are great! I feel it's going to be difficult to get the grey so pale yet still bluish. Even within the green there seem to be colour patches, yet with a model it often just looks messy if I try and recreate this. Any grey suggestions that isn't msg but looks like faded dsg? I can't mix as I use spray cans. My handpainting always looks awful with big brush lines in it so I never handpaint big areas.

Nice view of that extra three-bladed aerial on the wing though, I'll need to scratch build that. 

Edited by Lord Riot

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

I thought WJ639 was the one with rear view mirrors that went into storage when 7 Squadron finished at St Mawgan?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

This might, potentially be my next project, with the Alley Cat TT.18 conversion kit.

Did the 100 Sqn TT.18s ever have underwing serials across the stripes?