Hobby Boss F8F-1 1/48

Interestingly that's my only criticism.  The paint film looks very thin indeed in quite a lot of places and hasn't really allowed the correct colour to develop over the primer (or base plastic if there was no primer).  That light blue colour is not what you see on a full size GSB Bearcat, Hellcat or Tigercat. Were you trying to protect pre-shading?

It's very neatly built and nice to see a Bearcat in the early markings, before the addition of the red stripe to the national markings.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TonkaGuy said:

Awesome, the light shining off the blue especially the wings looks great! 

3 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Interestingly that's my only criticism.  The paint film looks very thin indeed in quite a lot of places and hasn't really allowed the correct colour to develop over the primer (or base plastic if there was no primer).  That light blue colour is not what you see on a full size GSB Bearcat, Hellcat or Tigercat. Were you trying to protect pre-shading?

It's very neatly built and nice to see a Bearcat in the early markings, before the addition of the red stripe to the national markings.

7 hours ago, VolkerR. said:

Very nice build.

I like the different shades of blue in the natural light.

Volker

2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Nicely built and the blue looks good.

Might want to revisit the landing gear instructions.  😉

Thank you all for the kind feedback!

@workinprogress

I was trying to show off some of the preshading by only applying a light layer of the paint over the highlights. Does it look too unconvincing? I still haven't figured out how to make the glossy sea blue scheme pop or look weathered. Do you have any techniques you can share?

@Jackson

Thanks mate. What exactly is wrong with the landing gear though? I have minimal knowledge when it comes to aircraft haha 

Glossy Sea Blue is a very dark dense colour, really pre-shading is not a worthwhile technique for a GSB or black aeroplane in my opinion.

Some of the ones that got passed on to the French and Vietnamese got a bit ratty but by and large a USN Bearcat was a sleek, well-kept aeroplane with very little weathering. 

The overall visual impression they always give in the metal is a machined-from-the-solid toughness, not something ragged and variegated.

d01f671eac4eca1019d7f4bbca75c85f.jpg

Bearcat-deck-960_640.jpg

Of the recent Bearcat models on here quite a few have been the beaten-up French and Vietnamese hand-me-downs but this 1/32 Trumpeter US Navy one showed a good surface finish and some nice subtle signs of use appropriate to the type in USN service. Glossy Sea Blue was a remarkably tough paint.

un 

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, James Nigel Panganiban said:

Thanks mate. What exactly is wrong with the landing gear though? I have minimal knowledge when it comes to aircraft haha 

It appears you may have assembled the gear backwards... If you look at the photos posted by @Work In Progress you can see how the gear juts forward up to the leading edges. Your gear doors are on the correct sides but the gear legs appear to be swapped. Hopefully it's an easy fix 😊

On the plus side, it's always good to see one of these brutes built up! Great markings, an early Felix on a Grumman Cat 👍

• Thanks 1

It's a nice tidy build. I would agree unfortunately that the   panel highlighting  does not in my opinion give the right impression. However it's not too late to   try and airbrush in some more density to  those areas. Really impressed by your choice of scheme ,  that end of war/ early postwar period is rather neglected and anything done from that era is always more eye catching.

That's a great little kit of a great plane and you did it justice.  My wife's dad flew them early in his USMC career and I built him one a few years ago.  He loved the "big honkin' prop" and said it was an unforgiving but wonderful aircraft to fly.  The Grumman cats were badass!