Work on the Herc

bar side

Photo above is of a C-130J engine, and is missing the intake section. The C-130K's Allison T56A-15 is similar in configuration, these shots show the engine/gearbox/torque shaft assembled and with the intake section (not including the intake scoop at the fwd end) installed:

And this is the whole lot installed in the QEC, seen from the other side and the scoop installed (extreme left) as well;

Because of the 'ramp' of the intake, all you see when looking from the front, is the aft intake section as it rises to meet the compressor face; you don't even see the compressor front face unless you have a torch and are at a low-ish angle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers @Sabrejet that’s great - wasn’t sure exactly which model was right for the K.  Sounds like some trunking to hide the jet fan look from the kit.  Mind you the fan part provides a good fixing to glue the motor too

@Bell209 I ended up using 2 part epoxy to hold the drive tube on.  Ended up gumming up the motor and having to free them off as it dries.  Have left them over night & will shortly find out how bad it is.  Didn’t want to use superglue as it would have run inside the motor & ruined it totally

• Like 1

You could always put intake blanks into the scoops: red, foam and with a fabric handle and 'remove before flight' flag attached. Red in colour and might provide some interest, as well as hiding anything you don't want seen:

48 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

You could always put intake blanks into the scoops: red, foam and with a fabric handle and 'remove before flight' flag attached. Red in colour and might provide some interest, as well as hiding anything you don't want seen:

Could do but as I plan to run the engines the blanks would be out.  I normally build jets with FOD covers on & rbf tags.

The production line yesterday

wKkQHxT.jpg

And this morning

Vded6Wr.jpg

Well for Meatloaf 2 out of 3 ain’t bad.  So 3 out of 4?  Double trouble with no 4 that the drive was badly off centre at speed ( one a bit dodgy above as it is) and the motor was running but very slow after the epoxy glue issue.  So will change it out and make a new drive shaft.  See how that goes.

GQxT920.mp4

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, bar side said:

EAnd with the 4th one sort of running

zEXVmpq.jpg

Tend to forget the size of it

bKaQnae.jpg

I'm surprised neither the work pad or the herc didn't try to lift off once you tested the engines Well Done!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

I'm surprised neither the work pad or the herc didn't try to lift off once you tested the engines Well Done!

Next time I might hook the motors up to my model rail 12v transformer.  Either burn out the motors, get them so hot the plastic melts or see if it moves!  This was all done from 2 AA batteries.

• Like 2

If you weren't intending to do it already, I'd suggest you put a thicker spar in the wings. The Herc kits have a tendency to split on the fuselage seams due to the weight of the wings anyway and you're adding more weight to the project. I had to do the same with the 1/48 Lancaster and Cessna 172 recently.

11 hours ago, Bell209 said:

If you weren't intending to do it already, I'd suggest you put a thicker spar in the wings. The Herc kits have a tendency to split on the fuselage seams due to the weight of the wings anyway and you're adding more weight to the project. I had to do the same with the 1/48 Lancaster and Cessna 172 recently.

Yeh I can quite see that.  And closing the fuselage with all of these wires is going to be a tricky process as it is.  I wonder if I could squeeze a small cable tie either ahead or behind the main spar.  Even if it only stayed in while the two halves were drying

Edited by bar side

I have let this sit for a couple of days - must get back to the bits that make it all come together.  Need to fix together the rear elevators and the rudder etc.  Still mulling over some para seats for the front part of the cargo bay.  But the sunshine has been quite tempting outside & daily exercise has got my bike out of the garage.  Need to offset the extra eating & drinking this enforced time at home brings along

Bit of work on the elevators & rudder today.  Glued the remaining parts together & cut plasticard to fill the gaps.  Then a bit of filler to level it all off & then the trailing edge anti static tags

NHxSCQh.jpg

they are bigger than many kits wings. MyHeritage bulb is glued in place on top of the tail already.  Thinking about drilling & fitting some locating dowels as something will need to take the weight when these are glued in place

• Like 3

Added the dowels to hold the elevators & rudder on & tried them on the airframe.  Looks a load better with them a bit off centre

TBMRIJE.jpg

06w7Mem.jpg

And connected the tail anti collision beacon to the arduino to make it flash - think I need to slow the flash rate a bit!

bJCH2nc.mp4

On to the wings & then the engine extension plugs I guess.  Starting to look more together

VV81ZJX.jpg

• Like 5

Still mulling over the final paint scheme & what serial number to give it.  Tempted to stick with XV200  it the kit decals may be beyond saving, and they only cover light aircraft grey underside paint scheme.  Would need to see if the roundels can be saved, and the 200 would need to be black rather than white on the nose & tail if I wanted wrap around camo

YdreZYi.jpg

trick to find any replacement or after market decals, so would probably need to get standard number sets etc.  No idea if wrap around grey green had the large serial under the wings even

• Like 1

Been looking at lots of bits today.  One is the location under wing taxi lights.  I quickly stuck together the wing tanks to get an idea where the lights should be.  Surprisingly nothing on the wing moulding at all

XpfFsTB.jpg

A little further forward I think.  Quite an easy round lens so just got to Trim the led back & bend it round the corner.  Tempted to sit it slightly proud of the surface pointing forward, assuming it might retract when not in use rather than sit flat all of the time.  I assume they throw light forward when in use

Anyway tried sitting it up on its wheels.  Definitely a tail sitter.  

T30qn9A.jpg

Tried adding some detail to the crew steps

i7pNihF.jpg

And one wing elevator cut gaps filled in the back & anti static tags on.  The other one is cut out & needs finishing off.  I have also filed out the start of the wing tip light cavity

JVNK1Cf.jpg

Need to crack on with the engine extension pieces, then engines can go in, chase through the wiring etc.  Not a lot of pieces left in the box now though

• Like 2

The lights under the wings are the landing lights. These are extended for use and retracted when not in use.

The taxi lights are the lights located on each main undercarriage door.

Regarding the wing tip lights there shouldn't be a cavity for them. The navigation lights on the wing tips sit proud of the surface

• Thanks 1

Cheers @milli21 - would love to see a picture of the landing lights extended.  Sorry, my terminology is off for the names of the lights.  The wing tip lights will sit proud- the cavity is to feed the wiring & light out to the top, and then try to stop the light bleeding back & lighting up the wing from the inside.  Will be similar to the way the tail top beacon pose of the top of the tail.

8 minutes ago, bar side said:

Cheers @milli21 - would love to see a picture of the landing lights extended.  Sorry, my terminology is off for the names of the lights.  The wing tip lights will sit proud- the cavity is to feed the wiring & light out to the top, and then try to stop the light bleeding back & lighting up the wing from the inside.  Will be similar to the way the tail top beacon pose of the top of the tail.

The light extended is basically a dome shape the recess is a bowl that it fits into

Like this one

https://www.google.com/search?q=c+130+landing+lights&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi-8JPu8ujoAhUDnVwKHRKzBzEQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=360&bih=572&dpr=3#imgrc=tJNlIdHdvV-8MM

Ignore the actual bulb though as that's a more modern unit but the shape is the same.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, milli21 said:

The light extended is basically a dome shape the recess is a bowl that it fits into

Like this one

https://www.google.com/search?q=c+130+landing+lights&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi-8JPu8ujoAhUDnVwKHRKzBzEQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=360&bih=572&dpr=3#imgrc=tJNlIdHdvV-8MM

Ignore the actual bulb though as that's a more modern unit but the shape is the same.

Never seen them extended on the ground unless the leckies are playing with them

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

Never seen them extended on the ground unless the leckies are playing with them

I am a lecky so I did play with them including hitting them with a broom handle. But they were usually retracted on the ground. Not sure at which point of takeoff/landing they were extended or retracted though 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, milli21 said:

I am a lecky so I did play with them including hitting them with a broom handle. But they were usually retracted on the ground. Not sure at which point of takeoff/landing they were extended or retracted though 

There you go Bar side, you need a figure with a broom to go under the wing 😉

• Haha 3