Work on the Herc

bar side

So were you based down at Lyneham then @fatalbert? I had a relative who lived in Wootton Bassett in the late 70s & early 80s.  While my mum was nattering about this & that I used to watch the Hercs going over.  Used to get driven down to Gloucestershire form Essex for our family holiday each year.  Came past Brize on the way there & if we were lucky there might be stuff out of Fairford too.

1 hour ago, bar side said:

So were you based down at Lyneham then @fatalbert? I had a relative who lived in Wootton Bassett in the late 70s & early 80s.  While my mum was nattering about this & that I used to watch the Hercs going over.  Used to get driven down to Gloucestershire form Essex for our family holiday each year.  Came past Brize on the way there & if we were lucky there might be stuff out of Fairford too.

Not Lyneham,Cambridge.

5 minutes ago, fatalbert said:

Not Lyneham,Cambridge.

Ah, Marshalls.  I am just down the road in a Suffolk.  Bit spoiled with Mildenhall Hercs and Marshall’s. Watched two tail chasing up the A-14 last year

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bar side said:

Ah, Marshalls.  I am just down the road in a Suffolk.  Bit spoiled with Mildenhall Hercs and Marshall’s. Watched two tail chasing up the A-14 last year

Small world 🙂,have been furloughed since March,beginning to forget what they look like lol.Had one fly over me the other day though,out here in welwyn garden city. 

Saw the invasion striped US one cover over on its way to the Hall the other day.  Was in the garage working on the kit at the time.  Some lovely pics of her on the Facebook Mildenhall & Lakenheath page

Bit of progress - I painted the cockpit window frame before fitting it.  Haven’t glued it in yet but will mask it over & fit it soon.  And the refuelling probe is glued on.  Still need the ‘ear’ at the back end but hopefully looks ok

f9sWA5s.jpg

jXAhANS.jpg

U1eYzYM.jpg

• Like 4

Fitted something to look like the ear

ZMRPQBv.jpg

And glued the cockpit screen in place

tovFehn.jpg

Primer coated in grey

5wnnbCi.jpg

And panel line preshade

7G2SdUC.jpg

might be ready for grey green coat tomorrow!

• Like 3

Have been thinking about how to paint the prop tips without going mad.  A while back my daughter got some acrylic paint pens in the main primary colours.  So red & white would be handy anyway.  I got a piece of plastic & painted it grey, then coloured the tip red.  Using the white pen I then drew on a line.  Something like this

V7PkwjQ.jpg

I think that might work.  To spray I would always go white first then red over & mask & try to avoid bleed under.  This avoids all of that.

So back to the painting.  Takes a while!  Seriously worried I would run out of paint

AKuZwcd.jpg

But I didn’t 

vyBcurK.jpg

And all of the bits together

lvKWJKu.jpg

NPAUCdw.jpg

Got to connect up the electrics & then they can get fixed together.  Then wheels on, paint & fit props, touch up joins & bits.  

Still kind of exciting to have a grey green Herc for the first time since I built an Airfix one as a kid.  

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, bar side said:

Have been thinking about how to paint the prop tips without going mad.  A while back my daughter got some acrylic paint pens in the main primary colours.  So red & white would be handy anyway.  I got a piece of plastic & painted it grey, then coloured the tip red.  Using the white pen I then drew on a line.  Something like this

V7PkwjQ.jpg

I think that might work.  To spray I would always go white first then red over & mask & try to avoid bleed under.  This avoids all of that.

So back to the painting.  Takes a while!  Seriously worried I would run out of paint

AKuZwcd.jpg

But I didn’t 

vyBcurK.jpg

And all of the bits together

lvKWJKu.jpg

NPAUCdw.jpg

Got to connect up the electrics & then they can get fixed together.  Then wheels on, paint & fit props, touch up joins & bits.  

Still kind of exciting to have a grey green Herc for the first time since I built an Airfix one as a kid.  

And this one has spinning props and flashing lights to boot! Now if you could only fit a sound chip with the sound of Allison turboprops spinning up....

10 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

And this one has spinning props and flashing lights to boot! Now if you could only fit a sound chip with the sound of Allison turboprops spinning up....

I always fancied filming it with a YouTube of a Herc start up playing in the background.  Try to match things starting to the sounds

• Like 1

The painted body and the remaining bigger bits

rGDshS0.jpg

Fist on with the tail, off with the window masks

MGQcVHW.jpg

Then rudder on & tail top & underside beacon test

3b5jU0g.jpg

Duck bill tail light test - surprisingly effective

DPubwPU.jpg

Taxi lights test

6cZHQbh.jpg

That’s about it for today

Nx1KJ1q.jpg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Barside you are in the home stretch leading by several lengths. looks Great!

Will feel happier when those wings are on & the electrics are still all working!  Then there are the probably shot decals.  But I do like seeing the big grey green lump sitting there.  Not sure my wife agrees, but you can’t have everything

Big afternoon with the soldering iron.  Got the wings on!  I haven’t glued them, they are pushed on but all the wiring Is done.

Msd4a5v.jpg

gswUxg6.jpg

Props still need more work - tips painting & tidying up

So test the lights - beacons

v5Wl0DO.mp4

Landing & taxi lights

fKHKPPw.jpg

Wing tip & tail lights

zZZU4Vf.jpg

Checked the engines & they were all turning.

More left - tail ramp & door, finish the wheel well doors.  Then might think about decals and small aerials etc

• Like 4

Absolutely loved following your build, thank you for taking the time to pause to take pics and upload, it’s been so helpful to see your methods used, must try and do a build rather than posting the finished product, would love to learn a bit more about Arduino to make it flash, guessing you learnt to code and programmed yourself? Any links to useful sites would be so helpful please, just got the starter set! I’ll be sad to see this complete but on the other hand can’t wait to see her done!

Thanks @Jon Sharp. I find photographing it as you go helps me remember how I did things.  For example, the para seats in this will hardly be visible so being able to look at how they were done will help if I ever build any again.  So sharing the pictures is not a problem.  Glad you like them!

The Arduino units are pretty cheap now & you just need a laptop with usb.  The programming looks fairly straight forward if you have tried scratch or python before, and there are lots of pre written code sets on line, so I plan to try some more time if & different actions, but so far the only thing I have got it doing is flashing!  Just google Arduino & see what you find.

19 hours ago, Murdo said:

Starting to look pretty amazing!

Cheers Murdo - struggling to find places around the house to hide her though!

Some work on the props 

XZWoxKI.jpg

Got to spend some time closing up those wing joins.  What with the wiring & all they didn’t close up tight.  Three coats of liquid green so far & more still to do

Anyway props coming along

UxpBxGZ.jpg

• Like 4

All C-130 kit manufacturers seem to make the same mistake on the props - the leading edge de-icing boots do not go up the blades on the 54H60 props! They only wrap around the black blade boots, so those thin strips they mould on the leading edge of the blades don't belong there (they're the thin black lines you've followed up the leading edges of your props - probably too late to correct it now). The older three-bladed Aeroproducts propellers had those strips, as do the Dowty-Rotol props on the C-130Js but not the Hamilton Standard variants. You'd reckon they'd have looked at the props more closely when they patterned the models, wouldn't you?

This project is coming to a very nice end!