Work on the Herc

bar side

13 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Looking good! Even got the static discharge wicks on there. I'm sure I have one lying round here in fact: must see if it's worth putting on eBay!

Yep got quite in to adding those when I did my EF-111

Y0TbQLn.jpg

• Like 1

I think you've  might have accomplished ok, and are now on the outskirts of abostivly pabsolutly awesome. On a a scale of 1 to 10 its a i dunno... a 42. Which is the secret of the Universe that 

i think you've cracked.

Here’s @LorenSharp I am sure there are plenty of faults.  Not fully rescribed, not used resin engines & sanded off a lot of detail in putting in the engine extension sections, sticking floor panels down that a peeling up a bit at the corners, the list goes on.  And I still have to try & get the body sealed up and the electrics to work (something will undoubtedly pack up - that’s why I keep putting it off!)

Bit more done today.  Painted the oil cooler flaps today.  I added a strut to resemble the hydronic structure used to open & close them

V1aQ5oh.jpg

Fitted them too.  They look a bit chunky but the6 will do.  Painted the exhaust area behind the engines as per the RAF paint scheme too.  And a touch of silver on the intake edges

zPYVuaa.jpg

Painted the under wing tanks too

Y7TMEX1.jpg

Painted the undercarriage too.  Not detailing it as so little is on show.  More concerned that it holds the weight

IwP70DT.jpg

Cutting down the jobs now.  Got to sort the wiring next

• Like 3

Decals ordered for the nose & tail numbers.  The kit decals are for a light aircraft grey underside version which had white numbers, while the wrap around camo had black numbers.  A lot of the big decals look shot but no one does after market RAF decal sets, so will have to see what can be saved.

More groundwork put in to get it ready for the body to go together.  I cut up some of my trusty lead solder block for a nose weight.  Just guessed really.  So needed her up on her wheels for a balance check

HDxlTi4.jpg

p9rfVjm.jpg

She is sitting, but are the wheels all on the ground?

yDXBMt1.jpg

Yes they are!  So this is the nose weight.  Plenty of space for it really

tTSA2rp.jpg

Realised that I missed off the vent covers at the back of the engines.  Fitted them & now need to paint them

VrCuUzA.jpg

I was looking at the wiring & realised that a standard telephone extension lead contains 4 wires.  I normally strip them out & use them separately.  However I need 4 wires for the engines on each wing.  So I might just run a cable in with the casing on.  Then I need 2 wires for the interior lights.  2 wires for the wing tip & tail end lights.  2 wires for the landing & taxi lights.  And 2 for the top & bottom beacons.  That would mean that I could turn the engines on separately and the lights in phases.  So 16 wires in total.  4 lots of leads. Or I could wire all of the always on lights together & keep the beacons separate.  Then that would be 12 wire & just three leads.  

• Like 4

Painted the vents at the back of the engines today.  In doing so I knocked off one of the oil cooler flaps & couldn’t see it anywhere.  Thankfully after a thorough search it turned up & got reattached

tGvY5yl.jpg

Now the wiring.  It’s looking something like this

vc3PsRl.jpg

Really not sure about the cables going outside.  I tried the telephone leads with 4 cables in.  They fit ok and are easier to handle but they are bulky.  And there will be 4 of them.  Would be easier to use but I can’t see them improving the look of the finished model.  

6zBYpKm.jpg

Feels like slow progress...

• Like 2

More messing with the wiring.  Or is that just messy wiring?

LdiUrUT.jpg

Trying it to see if everting fits....

LjZKRZu.jpg

Well all tested before putting it in, second side on, wires in place for wing lights & engines

YTljMsw.jpg

Nothing glued, all test fitting.  But at least it does seem to fit

• Like 4

Testing that the wiring works today.  Body test fitting together with wires inside.  Managed to get the spar through without wrecking the wring.  Then pushed the wings on and temporarily connected the wires.  First test on the upper & lower beacons.  You can just see the upper one is on, you will have to trust me on the lower one

n16WLb8.jpg

Next the port & starboard wing tip lights & tail light

hvUEG0M.jpg

And then the under wing landing lights

8wm7n2f.jpg

And the engines all worked too.  Now if I can fit it all together without wrecking anything, paint the body and then fit the wing & attach the electrics as they have today, I will be getting somewhere.

She is still not as big as my other project!

7RxxPbE.jpg

Yes, I am building a card model C Type hangar.  But the Herc doesn’t fit in it.  Will work as a photography back drop though

• Like 3

While the wing were on & things connected I added and tested the taxi lights in the wheel wells. Then the wings have come off and final inside details & checks. 

qW7MwqX.jpg

Rear ribs are attached on one side

RtyBeKE.jpg

Ladder and loo are glued in, along with shelf above the seats

CXzfblI.jpg

The ladder form the side door is in along with the nose weight.  Even painting up a crew guy to sit in there.  Can’t have engines running with an empty cockpit.

2lYEDnS.jpg

And with the wing spar in place the other side fitted on with a few twists, clicks & snaps.  But with all the wires & detail in it does close.  Pretty much ready to glue up the seams, tidy it up & paint the body.  The pile of parts still to fit keeps shrinking, which is a good thing!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

How much additional weight do you think you've added to build with the wiring and the lights?

Not a lot Loren - leds don’t weigh much & the motors are tiny.  Compared to the weight of the tail fin.  Might be why they didn’t make separate rudder & elevators to try to keep the weight down as she is a major tail sitter without nose weight

Realised that I have done nothing about an inflight refuelling probe.  The RAF job looks like it was rushed in for the Falklands, and isn’t the same as the current J version.  So scratch build time.  I was mulling over the concept in the garage earlier & found a short length of chromed rod and some Evergreen I beam.  It could work

BQ4V9fv.jpg

• Like 2

Bit of work to trim up the I beam & shape the end of the probe.  It is starting to look better.  Taken the plunge today and glued the body together.  Even fitted the pilot running up the engines & turning on the lights

Xr2MdZA.jpg

vDwTRp7.jpg

A look down the back with the frames now in place.  One looking a bit wonky

B2kX5rH.jpg

• Like 3

Nice idea using the zip ties as clamps on round hulls I always used Rubber bands that inevitably would snap just as I got it tight enough.. One to remember.Thanks

• Like 1

A not often seen view - test fitting the door & ramp.  The seems have seen some filler

JjSkq8r.jpg

Testing the interior lights still work

xLa14xY.jpg

TYeruf0.jpg

The in flight refuelling probe is coming along & I think needs to be attached before the body gets primed

• Like 3

The original probe was the same as a Vulcans,the fairing between the box and the flight deck roof was made of wood.The whole istalation was a bit of a heath Robinson affair but it worked.Where the pipe enters the upper falsework on the r/ h wing there was an aerodynamic fairing we called the Elephants ear, because it was shaped like an elephants ear lol.Damned if i can find a picture of it though,sorry,someone may have an inflight picture showing it if your lucky.

If you google c130k mach loop and look at images there is a picture where you can zoom in and see said fairing.Its located next to the center escape hatch.

Cheers @Fat Albert Found some nice pics of the chunky mounting for the probe.  I can quite believe there is some wood in there

Pa3ELzIcbX-HFeo0T_ct-9DMFdtLcBHX7kqMyt4f

1327803-large.jpg

That is the Elephants Ear I assume.  I had thought it was just a 90 degree bend at the end but looks like it could do with a bit of milliput to form it

47-squadron-c3a.jpg

This is where it is at the moment.  Needs a section better the housing & the roof

GXquZzY.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bar side said:

47-squadron-c3a.jpg

Yes,if you zoom in to the centre wing area you can see it more clearly.The wooden part was at the very forward end of that box structure above the flight deck.It may have been changed to a metal one later on,That box structure was a nightmare,it was all bolts and flimsy anchor nuts.Many a time i got to the last bolt and the nut would fall off inside,it would all have to come to bits again to change the anchor nut.

But saying that,i prefer them to the J's,thats a differant can of worms altogether lol.