Work on the Herc

bar side

Very nice. Not sure about other operators but we always had a ladder strapped to the left forward side of the fuselage above the seats, too. Pretty big - long enough to reach inside the engine cowls from the ground. I like that you've included a mop and broom there, too.

The mop & broom are actually part of the kit detail.  I was thinking a ladder would be needed.  I think every internal Herc photo has one somewhere.  It’s going to be tricky to get some detail in and get the body to close well.  Still mulling over ideas about wiring.  For example a common feed to all lights & just a return to interrupt with a switch.  Could save about 4 wires coming out.  Also, where would a GPU plug in on a Herc?  Could use that as a prototypical point To run wires out of.

Cheers @LorenSharp I think they have come out ok.  For detail that is going to be hidden down inside anyway!

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, bar side said:

The mop & broom are actually part of the kit detail.  I was thinking a ladder would be needed.  I think every internal Herc photo has one somewhere.  It’s going to be tricky to get some detail in and get the body to close well.  Still mulling over ideas about wiring.  For example a common feed to all lights & just a return to interrupt with a switch.  Could save about 4 wires coming out.  Also, where would a GPU plug in on a Herc?  Could use that as a prototypical point To run wires out of.

All RAF hercs usually have two ladders on board. One is a set of A frame steps that are extendable, used for servicing, can be found strapped down anywhere in the back.

The other ladder is a fixed height ladder either stowed on the left in front of the U/C bay or fitted in position on the centre line to allow access to the centre escape hatch 

• Like 1

Going to have to make a ladder now aren’t I?

Seats finished off today & glued in place

h4NkVVa.jpg

XcfQh5b.jpg

Now if you look right at the bulkhead there is something moulded on that can only be an attempt at a ladder.  Cut some plasticard strips though & started making a high A frame ladder

eSetf8G.jpg

• Like 3

The ladder is coming along.  Now it’s going to be flat not standing up, so the top platform isn’t right and the rest is held up with blutac

YiUcZ0f.jpg

Now flat it will look something like this

Kd4YRmz.jpg

Quick spray of aluminium & some black tread grips & fix it somehow to the bulkhead

• Like 5

And the ladder roughly where it will sir.  Needs painting and a strap round it to show how it is held in place.

H9WNnPF.jpg

I know there probably should be another ladder, but I hope one will do!

• Like 2

Brilliant work to date! Just noticed the top support bar needs to go a lot closer to the fuselage skin (if it's not too late). You might also want to add a urinal on the FS245 bulkhead next to the entry hatch between the Galley and the Cargo Compartment. C-130s had them internally-plumbed through to the C-130J. They became self-contained bucket-type on the J but the RAAF removed them several years after delivery for modesty reasons (no curtains around those!) as female crew members grew in number.

Hi @Bell209 that is the internals without the body shell on so there is no fuselage skin in that pic.  Regarding the toilet - trying to see what the look like.  I guess it is to the right of the doorway in this shot?

89278990.tMngHsEv.DubaiAirshow2007152.jp

Bot tricky to model on that level of detail, so any leads to pictures would be appreciated

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bar side said:

Hi @Bell209 that is the internals without the body shell on so there is no fuselage skin in that pic.  Regarding the toilet - trying to see what the look like.  I guess it is to the right of the doorway in this shot?

89278990.tMngHsEv.DubaiAirshow2007152.jp

Bot tricky to model on that level of detail, so any leads to pictures would be appreciated

This is a J model so the urinals are slightly different. The urinals in this picture are removable, the urinals on the K are not removable they just vent straight overboard via a couple of outlets on the underside near the ramp

Found these online 1/48 scale

674x501_30083090_16085435_1576932181.jpg

but they seem to be positioned near the para doors.  And then I found this

c130-urinal.jpg

so still looking for a good in situ pic!

• Like 1

The first three are one of the types fitted to C-130s pre-J. The last is the C-130J type.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/HLKLWK96V/c-130-urinal-1-48-set-of-3

Some good photos at https://www.dykarna.nu/forum/filmen-fran-puhuket-136486/136519.html

You may also be interested in this, done by one of my mates a few years ago: http://hsfeatures.com/c130hmob_1.htm. I'll be doing something similar in 1/72 at some point.

Cheers guys. I had looked at the walk around, but I just don’t always know what I am seeing in the picture

herc%20int%2009.jpg

so this would suggest the shapeways resin isn’t too far off.  Is there one on each side?

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1

Never spent so long looking at toilets!  Anyway, this is the plasticard progress

eSCFtmS.jpg

just keep in mind that scale is in centimetres.  Going to let it dry over night & tidy it up

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I believe it's just the one urinal on the bulkhead.

I took a whole heap of shots of the last stored Ks here at St Athan, will try and dig em out.

Hoped you would say one, otherwise the ladder will be on top of the other one.  I know the ladder could go elsewhere, but I kind of want it where you might have an outside chance of seeing it.  All pictures of interior clutter gratefully recurved although I must bring this madness to an end at some point and sort the wiring so I can close up the body.  Otherwise this build will still be going long after lockdown ends.  And as well as a Sanger 1/48 Shackelton I have just picked up a Valom Islander.  Not to mention a couple of Phantoms and others in the stash.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bar side said:

Is there one on each side?

Yes, although we sometimes removed the one on the right as it's difficult to use with passengers aboard. It's primarily for paratroops, so they can stay in their row.

The drains are positioned on the lower fuselage, either side of the tail bumper, located just in front of the ramp hinge. You can just make them out in this shot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Yes, although we sometimes removed the one on the right as it's difficult to use with passengers aboard. It's primarily for paratroops, so they can stay in their row.

The drains are positioned on the lower fuselage, either side of the tail bumper, located just in front of the ramp hinge. You can just make them out in this shot.

Hadn’t even thought about drains!  As I have not fitted the centre row I am leaving off the second loo

3 minutes ago, bar side said:

Some paint on the ladder & loo.  Think the step treads could do with another coat

c9YP7sK.jpg

Blimey, its like being at work 😉

• Like 3

Not got any further today but I did get my next stash addition.  Not a lot of Cold War / modern area RAF multi engine prop kits in 1/48, but this look to be a little beauty

WXA0Uxx.jpg

I have the Shack to do, other than that there is a Sea Prince kit about somewhere.  Would have liked a Jetstream, Pembroke, Andover, Varsity, but such is life

Anyway any more ideas for the Herc inside or is it time to add the nose weight & close her up?  The extra paint arrived too

Edited by bar side
  • Like 1