Work on the Herc

bar side

Cheers @Sabrejet - more like this then?

interior-of-the-lockheed-hercules-c-130k

looks like I will be sanding off those lumps from the kit floor.  And your picture looks like it confirms the box section at the front here is a lighting bar

Z14rfqZ.jpg

if so I will drill out the light lenses & fit an led behind for cabin lighting.  There is another strip aft of the wing spar which could have a bulb too.

So this is most of the cargo bay interior held in place with tape

bnOgPOD.jpg

I figure the floor needs doing first, then the whole thing can get fitted together.  I am planning to run the wiring out through the right hand main wheel housing, so the holes are in place.  Won’t be able to close up the body though until all of the wiring is in place.

• Like 1

The seats in C-130s are usually red. RAF Hercs have a different floor from everyone else's as (if I remember correctly) they used the Belfast's loading system instead of the Lockheed versions.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bell209 said:

The seats in C-130s are usually red. RAF Hercs have a different floor from everyone else's as (if I remember correctly) they used the Belfast's loading system instead of the Lockheed versions.

I have been told that on the k's its the same system as that used on the beverlies,thats because the RAF had tons of equipment for that already.The J's are differant,they are the standard lockheed tie downs.That 'lighting bar' is called the hogs trough and runs the length of the cargo bay.In the photo above you can see the center wing in the roof.Those rods that angle down slightly at the bottom of the wing are the aileron control rods,they are connected to the aileron system hydraulic 'pack' that is in turn connected to the control column via cables.Top right is one of the para doors in its open position,you can see one of the tracks for the left hand one on the other side.I have only ever seen red para seats on RAF aircraft.

• Like 1

Incidentally the red rod-like item you can see centre rear on the door (as in ramp and door) ram is a gag, covering the door retract actuator: removed in flight. Ditto the two red items in the roof in that shot, which are related to air despatch equipment IIRC.

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 1

So to do the floor I will need to sand off the raised detail & do lots of masking on the Beverley / Belfast loading system.  Or perhaps paint the floor aluminium & cut out and stick on the non-slip pads from painted masking tape?

Now surely I am the only made fool to ever sit & drill out the light fittings inside a model Herc cargo bay.

5VMDymP.jpg

Once drilled out I have put super glue in the holes.  Should dry quite opaque and let light through, with leds fitted behind.  Just a few leds, not one for each ceil8ng light.

Something a bit like this

wpHiA6D.jpg

just the front strip to do now.

• Like 6

Wow, really nice work on the "four-fan trash can!" I'm not sure on how the RAF works their ramps, but the USAF ones usually only bring theirs down to horizontal and support it with a "milk stool," which is just a wooden support. Once we get a 130 (that's not a home-station J) here on base, I'll try to snag you some pics

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bar side said:

Once drilled out I have put super glue in the holes.  Should dry quite opaque and let light through, with leds fitted behind.  Just a few leds, not one for each ceil8ng light.

Try the nail varnish wimmen use. A wee dab in the hole (with a toothpick, okay?) often works beautifully as it dries very clear. Just try not to let it contact the paint if it is acrylic or better still, seal the paint first.

Another useful item is UV glue, comes in a tube with a needle and the UV "torch" that sets it on t'other end of the tube. Usually sets very clear too.

3 hours ago, Fulcrum Guy said:

Wow, really nice work on the "four-fan trash can!" I'm not sure on how the RAF works their ramps, but the USAF ones usually only bring theirs down to horizontal and support it with a "milk stool," which is just a wooden support. Once we get a 130 (that's not a home-station J) here on base, I'll try to snag you some pics

We have whats called an Elephants foot,its an orange metal support.a circular foot linked with a pad on an adjustable tube.It goes under the ramp in the same way as your milk stool.

Edited by fatalbert
  • Like 1

Cheers @Fulcrum Guy & @Fat Albert I suspect an Elephant foot (or two?) will be needed later on so all pictures gratefully received.

@Murdo the superglue seems to be working quite well.  In the case opaque is good so don’t need full clear.  Another option would have been hot glue gun.  I plan to mask over it & leave it unpainted.  

Carrying on with the light fitting. There will be 5 leds along the roof of the cargo bay.

Hpbo4Uy.jpg

rhBZgZR.jpg

vrbbbGl.jpg

lPQ7EjC.jpg

Tried putting the body together and the lighting bar fell down!

7zt6byl.jpg

All needs painting, more detail, maybe para seats up at the front.  Painted the floor aluminium after sanding off the US style lumps.  Have wondered about painting masking tape & cutting floor non-slip coating sections to make the floor more UK style

• Like 3

Thats looking great,would just mention that there are no lights on the lower surface of the center wing,That is just covered with a layer of sound proofing,held in place with strips of a webbing type material and popper studs as seen in the photo at the top of this thread.

Edited by fatalbert

3 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Thats looking great,would just mention that there are no lights on the lower surface of the center wing,That is just covered with a layer of sound proofing,held in place with strips of a webbing type material and popper studs as seen in the photo at the top of this thread.

Ok I will take out the bulbs there & when it is painted I won’t mask those.  That should sort it out.  I drilled out the end of the front lighting strip & drilled through to the back of the cockpit bulkhead so that should throw a little more light into the cockpit.  Need to solder up the lines that will run out through the right hand wheel well.  And need to have a look at anti collision beacons.  The top one is on the tail & need to check the location of the lower one

Today’s progress.  Painted the interior parts of the cargo bay that I have so far put together

5d1U2Lu.jpg

gave the insulation / padding a brush over with pale green.  Not sure if that is right or if it should be light grey.

Test fit together of the main internal parts

ML0Z9sR.jpg

The cargo bay floor has been sanded down and painted aluminium.  I marked out the bay flooring in pencil & then painted some masking tape black

tm2dOzj.jpg

Then started cutting out sections.  Could be straighter, but they will be tucked away inside after all

rFhdsza.jpg

About half done.  Then need to figure out how to stop them curling up at the edges.

• Like 3

I fitted it together tonight & tried the lights.  They are ok, but really not a lot of light.  So I might drill out the lenses & leave them open to spread as much light as possible.  You might be able to make something out in this, but a bit more light would be good

JwxgawH.jpg

• Like 1

Finished off the floor of the cargo bay today.  Gave it a quick coat of clear matt varnish to try and encourage them to stay stuck down

3c6hztS.jpg

Added a sneaky extra bulb to try & improve the light in the cargo bay.  Forward of the wing spar where you won’t be able to see it

WpESWJ6.jpg

• Like 3

Finally joined the two right hand fuselage halves today. Went together without too many problems

zO1i3rG.jpg

That’s a full size coffee cup for scale purposes.  I still remain to be convinced about the cockpit section.  It seems about 3mm to far forward.  The wheel won’t quite fit in the right place.  It’s too far forward.  Might have to shorten the cockpit section A little.  The rest seems to fit ok if a little tight.

zFDyaDo.jpg

Need to get all of the wiring running through to the right places before anything can gat sealed up. For example both main wheel wells have taxi lights that will be linked to the lights u set each wing.  The lower & tail anti collision beacons need to be located & wired up.  So lots of jobs to do.  So modelling questions like ‘para seats yes or no’ kind of take a back seat.  I would like some ahead of the boxed our main wheel sections in the cargo bay.  They would be scratch built.  And might be a struggle to get in if I focus on the wiring.  Decisions, decisions.....

• Like 5

Can anyone confirm if the lower anti collision light on a Herc is in front of the sponsons, on the centre line?  I assume this and the tail top beacon pulse?

as per this pic

20141126-125449-bp01m.jpg

Edited by bar side

Put together the other side of the fuselage, so now in 2 parts rather than 4.  Cut down the back of the cockpit so it will fit better, and it does.  Extended the cockpit wiring to run out of the right side wheel well.  So now the cargo bay lights and cockpit lights can be operated from outside.  Started looking at the tail now as that needs the flashing light on the top of it and therefore wiring to run to it. I also think the rudder and tail need some angle on the moving parts rather than leaving them all dead straight.  Mind you made that mistake with the Canberra before being told all flying surfaces were self levelling, so never seen other than level.

UDNuh3A.jpg

Cockpit glow looks ok

fTO1Rdg.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bar side said:

Can anyone confirm if the lower anti collision light on a Herc is in front of the sponsons, on the centre line?  I assume this and the tail top beacon pulse?

as per this pic

20141126-125449-bp01m.jpg

The little white light on the underside of the fuselage is actually a navigation light, which was usually removed and speed taped over when the aircraft was in strip prep. The anti collision light was just behind the nose gear bay

16 minutes ago, bar side said:

Put together the other side of the fuselage, so now in 2 parts rather than 4.  Cut down the back of the cockpit so it will fit better, and it does.  Extended the cockpit wiring to run out of the right side wheel well.  So now the cargo bay lights and cockpit lights can be operated from outside.  Started looking at the tail now as that needs the flashing light on the top of it and therefore wiring to run to it. I also think the rudder and tail need some angle on the moving parts rather than leaving them all dead straight.  Mind you made that mistake with the Canberra before being told all flying surfaces were self levelling, so never seen other than level.

UDNuh3A.jpg

Cockpit glow looks ok

fTO1Rdg.jpg

You would be correct in offsetting the elevators and rudder. They were not self levelling. 

Great work so far

34 minutes ago, milli21 said:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/5931217

If you zoom in on this photo you can see the lower strobe light just behind the nose gear door. On stretched versions of the c130k it would be further back because of the extra fuselage plug inserted

That’s great - so about in line with the crew door.  I can drill that out & put a light in there, wire it to the one on the tail & use the Arduino set to flash to imitate the strobe.

And thanks for the non self levelling info.  Worth cutting stuff out.  Can’t believe that 30 years ago my 1/72 Airfix Herc came with separate elevators & rudder & this one doesn’t