Work on the Herc

bar side

17 hours ago, bar side said:

Cheers @Biggu I have been digging further on c130.net and found even better stuff.  Like this on XV200

http://www.c-130.net/aircraft-database/C-130/airframe-profile/7147/

EXCELLENT, I'm REALLY glad this did bore fruit, as they say and is of some use....... I'm following this build excitedly....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fatalbert said:

Flaps are often left down by the mechs,lots of lubrication to be done up there plus fuel leaks to trace and rectify 🙂. Good luck scratch building them down,its a very busy area.

The resin bits look like this

attack_48064_parts.jpg

so would be lots of plasticard triangles to fill in

• Like 3

Oh, thought you fancied building an H, that's what I suggested the intake bits. The upgraded engibes and those scimitar-like screw blades on the J me don't likey, and we didn't have the J in our service either.

This is TC-69, the one I'm building in low-vis scheme.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Check 'em flaps position in the last piccy. Incidentally; the Attack Sqd. resin flaps are massive... I can take pictures for you if so you needed.

Yeh, I can...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Oh, thought you fancied building an H, that's what I suggested the intake bits. The upgraded engibes and those scimitar-like screw blades on the J me don't likey, and we didn't have the J in our service either.

This is TC-69, the one I'm building in low-vis scheme.

Check 'em flaps position in the last piccy. Incidentally; the Attack Sqd. resin flaps are massive... I can take pictures for you if so you needed.

Yeh, I can...

Cheers,

Unc2

That’s going to look good Unc.  Think I am now getting my head around the versions.  Think I will be going for a K C1 between 84 and 88.  Seems like light grey underside at the start& wrap around by the end.  Scheme will be defined by photo evidence of the prototype at a given date.

Flaps - they would look good done, but wouldn’t normally be open.  Easy option - don’t do them.  Otherwise do them & reason is at an air show or maintanence.  Decisions, decisions.

Anyway did some planning around the internal lighting a while back.  Someone said the main cabin light came from instrument glow.  So I thought why not fit the lights behind the consoles & let the glow shine through?

nXgPaI3.jpg

tTXpDSw.jpg

So three bulbs.  Can’t have the light being totally random & I draw the line at individual fibre optic cables to each gauge.  And the light cannot shine out through the aircraft body!  So the big consoles on either side need backs and lots of silver foil to block the light escaping

• Like 4

19 hours ago, bar side said:

The resin bits look like this

attack_48064_parts.jpg

so would be lots of plasticard triangles to fill in

Actually that isnt too bad,i can see the life raft liners and the redundant emergeny radio container,although that is only on one side.the basic structure is there,i would want to add the fuel dump line and a suggestion of aileron control rod and wiring looms in 1/48 scale.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

I can take pictures for you if so you needed.

Yeh, I can...

Hey, Uncle,

Is that the 'chine' mentioned in several topic discussions that I see below the lower windows as a straight line?

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Is that the 'chine' mentioned in several topic discussions that I see below the lower windows as a straight line?

Hi Mike,

Indeed, that's the one. I swear I've been looking all over the forums for a piccy of a modeller that I recall who've addressed and fixed that issue on his 1/72 build, but I wasn't able to find it yet.

It wouldn't be that hard to fix it in 1/48, I guess.

Yeh, me does...

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1

So by applying silver foil to the back of the panels I restrict the light to blocks

DTPYnIp.jpg

And a dry fit of the cockpit parts

NYnowTn.jpg

The kit has two seats to the rear behind the three main seats, but I have also seen only one back there

And with some backs made for those panels - don’t want light bleeding out of the back of them - the three lights will sit here

tK4wF8a.jpg

Not a bright light but hopefully enough for the panel glow look.

zu6sgcR.jpg

• Like 6

Now when playing with the cockpit it was obvious that the area below the main cockpit and ahead of the bulkhead was somewhat limited on detail.  There is a doorway through the bulkhead and a ‘plank’ sticks through from the cargo bay.  A small ladder leads up to the flight deck and that is about it.  So I thought I would build a few plasticard bits - floor & walls etc - to improve it a bit

jnxth2d.jpg

The large chunk of cardboard is the back of the instrument panel - purely there to block light from shining out of the airframe.  The ladder goes in front something like this

M9CetPa.jpg

I painted the whole lot white to undercoat the instruments.  Then blanked them off with tape & sprayed on some light grey

vMeihDk.jpg

Again rough old card back to the instruments.

Also painted up the front wheel well white & gave them a wash over.

avllUaW.jpg

Plan now is to wash over the panels & clean back the dials.  See how it comes out soon.

• Like 3

Painted over the white panel faces and then scraped them back.  Looks something like this

Cmf5Qbo.jpg

Q69Jonz.jpg

So in search of that instrument panel glow, how does this look?

1VIZGJR.jpg

And with the primed but not yet painted seats & bits

TdMIZHr.jpg

And roughly how much you will see when it it sealed up

UtIJEtT.jpg

• Like 6

Now I did consider the idea of a lifting & lowering ramp.  Not easy as it is in two parts & one would need to go up while the other dame down..  I think it would need to move about 4cm down on the lower ramp.

AuPqK9c.jpg

Would look good with a light inside & maybe a lit up landy 

bWOdzXv.jpg

So the idea would be a ram / linear actuator to either replace or work with the model rams

K8fApuE.jpg

but the best I can come up with would be a tube in a tube with a string inside pulled by an actuator hidden away above the wing spar compartment.  But I am sure the string would break once buried inside.  A servo really wouldn’t give the range of movement needed.  I did wonder about rc plane actuators etc but didn’t get any further

• Like 5

If you are worried about string breaking, perhaps consider something like this (no connection with the seller). My dad used something similar for all the rigging lines for his model yachts (Marbleheads, 10-Raters etc) and it had to put up with salt water and chafing (words that no red-blooded male likes to hear). Used to last forever - I can't remember it ever needing replacement, though it has to be said that my old man was a meticulous fresh water rinser.

The other thing that occurred to me was that a spring or a bit of elastic in the system would get around the need for limit switches. As long as your motor got the ramp near enough closed, the elastic bit could worry about making sure it was shut convincingly tight.

Kirk

PS/ Can't wait to see the contra-rotating prop prototype on the next model on the production line. :D

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 5:30 PM, Sabrejet said:

Incidentally, in Herc terminology, only the front part is the ramp. The bit that goes up at the rear is the door.

Good work!

Yes, a door would be a more suitable term!  Went inside a US Herc back in the early 80s at Mildenhall.  Starlifter and Galaxy too.  In those days they let you walk through them - literally in the case of the Galaxy

IidUmYO.jpg

• Like 2

There are three (from memory) dome lights in the Flight Deck which are usually on (at least in the RAAF Hercs) when the aircraft is on the ground with engines off. Once you get to start, the domes are too bright and distracting and they're turned off, leaving the panel and instrument lighting alone. Most are white (there was a bit of red from memory) but NVG-modified aircraft had all green panel and instrument lights.

Edited by Bell209
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 10:06 PM, bar side said:

Now I did consider the idea of a lifting & lowering ramp.  Not easy as it is in two parts & one would need to go up while the other dame down..  I think it would need to move about 4cm down on the lower ramp.

AuPqK9c.jpg

Would look good with a light inside & maybe a lit up landy 

bWOdzXv.jpg

So the idea would be a ram / linear actuator to either replace or work with the model rams

K8fApuE.jpg

but the best I can come up with would be a tube in a tube with a string inside pulled by an actuator hidden away above the wing spar compartment.  But I am sure the string would break once buried inside.  A servo really wouldn’t give the range of movement needed.  I did wonder about rc plane actuators etc but didn’t get any further

Servos have come down in price greatly over the last twenty years. Micro servos might be worth a seccond look.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, matti64 said:

Servos have come down in price greatly over the last twenty years. Micro servos might be worth a seccond look.

Yep, but really wanted something like this but smaller

or it has to be a pull string up to a linear actuator like this

but needs to have at least a 4cm throw, so larger than the above

• Like 1

Decided the seats are great frames but the UK Hercs seemed to have seat padding on the front

75521_1433323933.jpg

So a bit of modification

02xe8fI.jpg

And a bit of paint & tape belts.  The belts will get painted but won’t be that visible inside the cockpit

hT3cvC9.jpg

0XokBz1.jpg

Plus a couple of instruments added to the top of the panel.  All just balanced together so far

• Like 7

11 hours ago, bar side said:

The belts will get painted but won’t be that visible inside the cockpit

Like just about everything else! I detailed my C-130E Flight Deck and all you can see is the portable oxygen bottles next to the chin windows!

8 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Like just about everything else! I detailed my C-130E Flight Deck and all you can see is the portable oxygen bottles next to the chin windows!

Very true.  Not going to go overboard.  I scratch built a Dominie & built seats inside etc.  Can’t really see any of it now!

• Like 1

Fitted the glazing in the nose ready for painting the inside.  I have also glued together the cockpit assembly with lights installed.

4N48UaT.jpg

The roof and other panels have been picked out since.

Test assembly of the nose to try the lights looked like this.

iCRqYz0.jpg

not a lot of panel glow but some none the less.  I didn’t want a bright light shining out of the windows & fitting the seats damps it down even more.  Not too bad in total dark

sioOwok.jpg

Considering there will be 4 external taxi lights, port & starboard wing tip lights, cargo bay lights and anti collision beacons, I think it will do.  Picked up a string of 50 leds for £2.99 o day, so well stocked

• Like 4

Calling the cockpit area about done so moving on to the cargo bay.  I understand this was an area that the RAF K model differed from the standard US variant.  I found this pic on line.  Any idea if this is an RAF cargo bay or not?

creative-interior-image-of-c130-military

• Like 1

No, it's not.

Sorry, that's not very helpful, but wrong floor, wrong overhead bins.

In our wisdom we insisted on using a 20 year old floor system, which was thus 60+ years old when we finished with the Klassic. 

33 minutes ago, isaneng said:

No, it's not.

Sorry, that's not very helpful, but wrong floor, wrong overhead bins.

In our wisdom we insisted on using a 20 year old floor system, which was thus 60+ years old when we finished with the Klassic. 

That’s fine - just need to find some good reference photos to see how it should look