Work on the Herc

bar side

Our C130K aircraft were actually C130E variants, with the -15 engines, Brit avionics and a Brit cargo floor. The external differences are minor, I can't remember if the kit details the later H style APU or earlier 'GTC' (Gas Turbine Compressor) we used. References to the floor 'chine' are understandable, but I operated the damn thing for 15 years and never really noticed it until a modeller pointed it out to me! I see you mentioned Debs - she has a far better recollection than I do!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

that looks real!

These new Christmas/events led rice lights look superb for modelling purposes

The dark hides a multitude of sins.  That Airfix kit isn't great so I thought it would make a good basis to play with the lights

Mind you only 5  bulbs in that one

• Like 1

Save yourself some money on the flaps. C-130s almost never have them down except when about to takeoff or just after landing, unless they're down for maintenance purposes.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, isaneng said:

Our C130K aircraft were actually C130E variants, with the -15 engines, Brit avionics and a Brit cargo floor.

Early C-130H-1s (such as those operated by the RNZAF) were much the same - upgraded wing centre sections, engine mount points and T56-A-15 engines but otherwise pretty much C-130Es. The C-130H-2 introduced the APU, improved pneumatic system, upgraded air conditioning packs (2 x 70 ppm instead of 1 x 30 and 1 x 70), multi-disc brakes, upgraded avionics, slightly different electrical system, improved Auxiliary Hydraulic Pump, etc.

On 2/20/2020 at 9:12 PM, isaneng said:

I can't remember if the kit details the later H style APU or earlier 'GTC' (Gas Turbine Compressor) we used.

I don't think any 1/72 or 1/48 kits come with an APU - they're all GTCs with the older aircon packs on the other sponson and NACA duct on the forward fuselage instead of an intake/exhaust blister.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 9:32 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Much missed.  Except perhaps by the moderators when she was off on one...

:lol: Fear 'em wrath of Debs!

11 hours ago, DonH said:

I spent too much time watching it and making brrrrrmmmm and rrrrrrooooooooaaaaaarrrrrr noises.

Or is that just me...

I can assure ye that you were not alone in there, Don. :wink:

@bar side, mate. I've looking into the Italeri shop just to find out that I'm unable to log in to my account... :hmmm:Just e-mailed them to see what the fuss is all about with it. Still had a credit of 16 euros captive from the last time I ordered spares back in August 2018. Instructions were so dodgy that I paid three times the price asked.

Will come back to ye with news regarding that.

Yeh, me will...

Cheers,

Unc2

Edited by Uncle Uncool
I just don't know what the reason was that I edited

20 hours ago, DonH said:

That video of the props turning proves I am a modeller at heart. I spent too much time watching it and making brrrrrmmmm and rrrrrrooooooooaaaaaarrrrrr noises.

Or is that just me...

There is something about models that do things rather than just sit there.  Maybe why I like trains too...

11 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Save yourself some money on the flaps. C-130s almost never have them down except when about to takeoff or just after landing, unless they're down for maintenance purposes.

That’s an idea I could live with.  I have found pics with the flaps open on the ground but they may well be just for display.  Bit like when you see a Canberra with tilted stabilisers & rudder.  Then you find out they were all self levelling & never sat like that.

aerial-view-of-west-virginia-air-nationa

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

@bar side, mate. I've looking into the Italeri shop just to find out that I'm unable to log in to my account... :hmmm:Just e-mailed them to see what the fuss is all about with it. Still had a credit of 16 euros captive from the last time I ordered spares back in August 2018. Instructions were so dodgy that I paid three times the price asked.

Will come back to ye with news regarding that.

Yeh, me will...

Cheers,

Unc2

Cheers Unc - the least I will be after from them is the refuelling probe.  Was the J sponson just a section or a whole body side?  I can live with moding and adapting the kit as long as I can get hold of good reference pics.  Most refs including the ones ivan RAF Herc in this site are of a later J.  There must be better 70s & 80s raf Herc pics out there.  Been trying ABPics & others.  Always surprised the RAF Herc doesn’t have a web page

45945443245_59865d97c9_b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bar side said:

Was the J sponson just a section or a whole body side?  

Side, mate. The intakes on the J are just sections, both quite small ones, so they're a very convenient size when you've got to order; here:

These are parts K125 (cheek intake) and K126 (sponson intake).

spacer.png

Sponson intake is a separate part from the whole body of the sponson, and cheek intake is also a separate piece. Sponson intake on the left, cheek intake on the right.

spacer.png

Still had no reply from Calderara di Reno in Italy. :lol: Will insist.

Yeh, me will...

Cheers,

Unc2

Thought I may add a piccy of the real thing:

spacer.png

Edited by Uncle Uncool
  • Like 1

Still can’t be sure the sponson mod was in place on the C-130k c1, especially the short versions

1066291-large.jpg

1249087-large.jpg

1145394-large.jpg

1134984-large.jpg

Would be great to know which airframes were stretched & which weren’t.  Also, if & when the were repainted in to wraparound. I do wonder if the Mods came in with the J upgrades.  I was planning on a mid 80s non stretched airframe.  The kit decals are probably shot but for XV200 with grey underside.  Now I understand she was at Ascension Island for the Falklands and was probably tanker modified.  

From the walk around forum on here XV202

hercules%20011.JPG

• Like 3

I fully expect I'm missing the obvious here, but I can't see any difference between the kit and the photo regarding the bulgy bits the the wheels pop out of (sponsons?). What's this mod again? (Ideally in language for the Hercules accuracy challenged)

The window profile looks a bit slanty on the kit at the back edge, but maybe even that is an optical illusion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Filler said:

I fully expect I'm missing the obvious here, but I can't see any difference between the kit and the photo regarding the bulgy bits the the wheels pop out of (sponsons?). What's this mod again? (Ideally in language for the Hercules accuracy challenged)

The window profile looks a bit slanty on the kit at the back edge, but maybe even that is an optical illusion.

The mod discussed sees the Herc sponson with a new intake lik3 tjis

herc_sponson_1.jpg

and replacement parts like this

UZHX212Ty0m61GXqmXbPlbDaXLyWWSZXJgMgdthb

but I am not convinced the RAF Hercs had these in C1 fit.

hercules%20011.JPG

Just the naca duct as seen in the pic above and as found on the kit.  Nice shot though of the undercarriage taxi light.  Plan to fit working lights there

• Like 1

I am following this build from afar, and I have this reference    http://www.c-130.net 

And I know it is mostly American airframes, but there may be something of some use to you guys.... not sure if you already knew of this site , but I do hope there is something of use to you.... I'm following with great interest

Cheers

Jeff

Cheers Jeff - just spotted a memorable date date on there of 19th December 1966 first C-130 delivered to RAF (XV177).  Like the old brown & cream camo with white over the cockpit.  But the British C-130 gallery is great - just found a shot of what must be the second RAF airframe (XV178) still in grey green in 91

XV178.jpg?m=1401645236

• Like 1

Flaps are often left down by the mechs,lots of lubrication to be done up there plus fuel leaks to trace and rectify 🙂. Good luck scratch building them down,its a very busy area.

• Like 1