HMS Cossack 1/600 scale

My first ship in a few decades 4 anyway!!

this wee model of the Cossack is from Aeroplast and not a scale i can say i would usually opt for but in for a penny and all that...

it turned out ok pleased with the results but open to comments good or otherwise🙂

49553371421_b573d6b67e_b.jpg

49553612227_30f3783abf_b.jpg

Enjoy simon

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Paul J said:

Airfix did one to 1/600th back in the late 50s but it didn't have those raised portholes!!

The Mistercraft one (Airfix copy?) had the raised scuttles, and I certainly did not remember them from the old Airfix version. Jeff ( @ArnoldAmbrose) and I had a forum chat elsewhere about whether the Mistercraft one was a 'real' or copied one. It did have the original Airfix stand (like that shown on @simontie's excellent build above) rather than the twin girder stands that they used later. The runner parts layout looked different to the original Airfix setup too.

The kit (or it's kin) seem to be a popular choice at the moment, there has been quite a few Cossack/Eskimo/Matabele models in the RFI over the last couple of months.

Simon, you have made a good job out of this kit, nice work!

All the best, Ray

Edited by Ray S
Added extra ship name!
  • Thanks 1

On 26/02/2020 at 15:21, Ray S said:

It did have the original Airfix stand (like that shown on @simontie's excellent build above) rather than the twin girder stands that they used later.

That's an interesting comment about the stand.  I made the original Airfix kit back in the 60s when I was still in short trousers and I am 99% certain it had the twin stand as per all later Airfx 1/600 scale.  I've never seen an early Airfix ship with any other type.   as far as i was aware, the only changes made to COSSACK through its life as an Airfix kit were a series of reboxings.

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

That's an interesting comment about the stand.  I made the original Airfix kit back in the 60s when I was still in short trousers and I am 99% certain it had the twin stand as per all later Airfx 1/600 scale.  I've never seen an early Airfix ship with any other type.   as far as i was aware, the only changes made to COSSACK through its life as an Airfix kit were a series of reboxings.

This is where I got the info from @Chewbacca

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/viewtopic.php?p=386543#p386543

I must admit it surprised me too, I built in in the mid 60's and it had the twin girder stands then.

Cheers, Ray

• Like 2

On 26/02/2020 at 07:57, 3DStewart said:

I never knew this kit existed.

You've made a good job of it.

thank you I have the drawings for larger one, vic smeed  1/200 scale my grandfather went down with the ship, and dad got a DSM from King George. very proud of the ship and when I get round to the other larger one I hope to do him and all who sailed in her proud.. 

• Like 1