Savoia S.65 Schneider Cup - Modified Karaya 1/72 resin

IMG_8426+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

IMG_8460+%25281280x960%2529.jpg

The exceptional lines of the Savoia S.65 are a sheer delight, and although it never delivered what it promised, and did not actually compete in the Schneider Cup, the mere act of contemplating it is a source of aviation bliss.

IMG_8410+%25281280x934%2529.jpg

IMG_8465+%25281280x960%2529-1.jpg

Karaya is a firmly established model manufacturer with a wide catalog that includes, to my delight, many Schneider planes. Karaya's reputation is good, but apparently my first encounter with their products was unfortunate, as I purchased a sadly inaccurate S.65.

To start to make this flawed kit look like the real thing, the following was done:

-Correct the spurious cut out on the fuselage top and sides, restoring the correct, continuous shape

-Install the side windows, deleting the spurious extra radiators (located above the correct fuselage radiators)

-Correct the shape of the elevator horn balances

-Add the headrest

-Correct the wrong position of the insertion of the float struts into the fuselage bottom

-Substitute the ridiculous resin butt-joined booms for metal inserted ones

-Correct the mistakes on the rigging

-Revise position of "V" struts at the end of the floats, moving them back as per photos

-Add boom fairings that continue on top and bottom of the elevator

I am sure there were others, but that should be entertainment enough.

A seemingly nice kit, certainly nicely molded and with good detail, completely let down by its many very visible inaccuracies. And not just minutia: blatant mistakes made absolutely obvious just by looking at photos of the original plane.

The list is too long, but you may like to have a look at my many encounters during the build with frustrating errors, and to add insult to injury an engineering that left a lot to be desired, and not particularly accurate decals:

IMG_8424+%25281280x959%2529.jpg

Still, propelled by the sheer beauty of the type, some modifications were made, parts replaced with better ones, engineering revised, and many details corrected to obtain a model that if still not totally accurate, at least resembles much closely the original.

This is a missed opportunity: such fantastic plane, and a kit that came too short, not sure why, as the general quality of the parts (accuracy and engineering apart) is good.

The modifications to obtain a more credible model are too involving, and I wouldn't have done it if I knew from the start the challenges, but I started blinded by the good reputation of the manufacturer (whose other kits reputedly are accurate and nice to build). So I went on, feeling bad about trashing a kit of such beautiful plane that besides cost a pretty penny.

So here are the results of much huffing and puffing, and having to continually look at references in order no to fall into accuracy traps.

A paradigm of Italian design that produced a very stylized racer, and, if nothing else, a wonderful "oggetto d'arte". 

IMG_8425+%25281280x991%2529.jpg

IMG_8427+%25281280x966%2529.jpg

• Like 31

Utterly stunning Moa - both the aeroplane itself and your model. And huge credit to you for persevering with the inaccurate kit. Your WIP was another fantastic lecture in your University of Modelling! And what a fantastic era it was for stunning machines - whether they be failures like this one or successes like the S-6. Little wonder the term and widespread use of Risk Assessment evolved!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Utterly stunning Moa - both the aeroplane itself and your model. And huge credit to you for persevering with the inaccurate kit. Your WIP was another fantastic lecture in your University of Modelling! And what a fantastic era it was for stunning machines - whether they be failures like this one or successes like the S-6. Little wonder the term and widespread use of Risk Assessment evolved!

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm, and a very true note on the era.

13 hours ago, Jo B said:

Such a beautiful aircraft and a beautiful build. I have deep appreciation for these gorgeous objects. Thank you for building this, Moa. Wonderful. I look forward to seeing more of your builds.

Thanks Jo

Some builds are close to completion waiting for the decals or details (Vultee V-1, Seabee, HP O/700)

Today I will post the American Airlines Beech 18, completed yesterday.

If you are curious and haven't seen them yet, I have posted about two hundreds builds already here at BM.

Cheers

11 hours ago, Andrew.S said:

Despite all the kit's faults, your completed model is fantastic good looking hell of the racing airplane :D

Thanks Andrew!

9 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

A work of art. A labour of love. A beautiful masterpiece. Truly amazing. You really are talented and your dedication and commitment shows in every plane you build.

Thanks for your very kind words.

Cheers

• Like 3