Benz Patent-Motorwagen 1886

That's looking great - I was going to ask what you were planning on using to simulate the drive-belt, but noticed the aluminium as I was scrolling down.  Keep up the good work :yes:

• Like 1

Nice thread!  Your work is very clean.  Have you considered paper for your belt?  I've used construction paper often but since this is white a strip of plain old envelope might do the trick.  Curl it by drawing it over a straight edge like we did in kindergarten.  Cheers.

• Like 2

Your continuing work on this a delight to watch! :clap2:

Lead solder is a wonderfully ductile material. I've used it for making seat belts.

For something a little thicker, I've found a ready supply of 0.14mm Al sheet in the vacuum seals of my coffee. @Moa, this is from Costco's Kirkland coffee if you partake.

• Like 2

Jörgen, all your careful preparation will pay back with a beautiful model!

You can sew up the ends of the belt, this picture is from Wikipedia:

Antriebsscheibe_Patent-Motorwagen_Nr.1_B

I could not resist to start my kit too. The oils are hardening on the wooden parts. I think I can start a small report too,

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Moa said:

What a great build, Jörgen!

Entertaining, illustrative, didactic, inspiring.

I had to hold my hands together with rubber bands, not wanting to break my life-long 1/72 Shaolin Modeling Monastery vow.

Wonderful thread!

Cheers

Thanks a lot for your kind words, I'm humbled and very happy that you like it.

Now, only a small deviation in scale, 1/24th, just this one time... i promise we will not tell anyone you did it... How about it? Just one little step... 😎

@Mike @Cratecruncher @dnl42 @Moa I'm into yet another workweek from hell right now, with little modelling time, and I should also finish painting the civil Saab 91 Safir to get the maskings removed, so I'm afraid progress of the belt might have to wait until the weekend. The belt needs some thickness so I think the 0,22 mm aluminium is minimum. Construction paper might work, if it can be painted well. I will put it on my to-test-list if the first attempt fails, together with flattened lead wire or solder wire.

3 hours ago, Bughunter said:

Jörgen, all your careful preparation will pay back with a beautiful model!

You can sew up the ends of the belt, this picture is from Wikipedia:

I could not resist to start my kit too. The oils are hardening on the wooden parts. I think I can start a small report too,

Thanks a lot. It's a very rewarding model to work on.

I plan to put the end joint around one of the drive wheels, and then add the joint itself. Apart from plain sewing I have also seen the use of an overlapping flap on the outside of the belt. That's on replicas of course, but it would have been one or the other.

Looking forward to see a new thread with your version of the model 👍

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Moa said:

not wanting to break my life-long 1/72 Shaolin Modeling Monastery vow.

You could do in in nice easy steps Moa.

Starting with 1/48 perhaps. :nod:

:giggle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, the drive belt. Having found virtually zero time for modelling during the week, the paint on my aluminium strip was now well and truly dry. Time to see if this first plan would work. I started by making a bend with a suitable radius in the middle.

B55.jpg

Then I did the two twists, trying to make them as long as the free straight length between the drive wheels, just something roughly. The belt is going back and forth on and off the model during this work as the fit is adjusted and improved.

B56.jpg

Then a second bend to fit around the lower drive wheel. After some test fitting I marked and cut the belt at the bottom where it would be easiest to place the joint.

B57.jpg

Then I increased the bend angle around the engine drive wheel and placed the belt for a final time. All in all this was going rather well, so I decided to go all the way and start applying glue on the lower drive wheel. Then adjusting the belt around the engine drive wheel and gluing, then cutting to fit the joint at the lower drive wheel, applying glue, and sanding the joint smooth. I think I forgot taking some photo here as the work just moved on. I also cut and shaped a small overlapping flap from 0,10 mm thick wine bottle foil, to glue over the joint.

B58.jpg

The flap was glued and painted in a slightly contrasting colour.

B59.jpg

I then did some minor adjustments to the twists to make them fairly even and well spread over the free length. This is what I ended up with. It all went quite easy (well, relatively speaking) and I'm satisfied with this. I think I can go on with the work.

B60.jpg

B61.jpg

B62.jpg

B63.jpg

• Like 13

I spent a good hour or two this morning searching and studying detail photos of various replicas and museum pieces to see if I would end up wanting to add and correct small details around the engine like pipes and wires. A lot can be done if one wants to, but exact details are not always easy to see and different replicas sometimes contradicts each other.

I closed down and decided to continue as planned; just out of the box. So the final assembly started. It's going very well so far, the parts are pretty much falling into place.

B64.jpg

B65.jpg

I expected the little air valve, or whatever it is, to fit to close to the wooden floor boards, but it fitted very nicely and no modifications were needed.

B66.jpg

It's just falling together right now...

B67.jpg

B68.jpg

B69.jpg

B70.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

I closed down and decided to continue as planned; just out of the box.

Wise decision!

I just added only a very prominent copper wire at the very top. It looks like that ICM forgot a big part (exhaust?) below the engine, but I will also let it as it is.

Your model looks great!

Cheers,

Frank

• Like 1

Stunning build! :worthy:

The model is a complete delight. Looking forward to the RFI to see more beauty shots. 

Always looking to learn, what paint did you use for the belt? I have problems with paint on metal that's to be bent. 

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. I hope to take some more photos later today.

50 minutes ago, Bughunter said:

It looks like that ICM forgot a big part (exhaust?) below the engine, but I will also let it as it is.

I think that is indeed the exhaust (silencer?). It looks like that in the very few photos showing it reasonably.

48 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Always looking to learn, what paint did you use for the belt? I have problems with paint on metal that's to be bent. 

Yes, that can be a problem when the paint is too hard and/or didn't bite well. The finished aluminium strip was first lightly sanded with 400 paper to give a good surface for the paint, then I wiped it clean with thinner. The paint is Humbrol Enamel, I think #28, diluted with thinner and airbrushed, no primer used. Worked fine, this time at least.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but I enjoyed seeing the build process and quite fancy getting this kit as something a bit different.  The finished result is really beautiful, especially on the display stand you built.

• Thanks 1