SH-2G SUPER SEASPRITE

Colin W

Hi Andy, 

Yes CharlieNZ pictures were most helpful. I Finally figured out the 3 versions in service.

So here's the situation now. Overall grey with grey rotors, grey undercarriage and grey accessories. 

20200322_165548

Certainly lacking the appeal of the Viggen. 

Colin 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm liking this a lot Colin. I've most of the stuff to do this in 1/72. I do wish I'd poked my head in the door of the one that landed on the local college playing field a few months ago, that heavens for @CharlieNZ's photos, what I did see makes more sense now & your work is completing the picture nicely. Thanks mate. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, 

Thats a surprise, I reckoned you past school age. Still plenty of time to see the light and change to 1/48.

Colin 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Colin W said:

I reckoned you past school age.

I fell into the nosy aviation mad parent category, my youngest's last year at school last year & the Airforce was doing a recruiting round, as to 1/48, I'd feel obliged to detail things to death & so would never get a thing done. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
frikking typo!
  • Haha 2

Most assembly now completed. I added the main undercarriage units and pylons, in fact everything grey.  I have painted some areas with a mix of the overall grey and medium sea grey just to give some tonal variations. 

Stickers on next after a couple of coats of Future. 

20200327_144345

Colin 

• Like 7

Looking a lot like the last post despite a lot of work, decals are now finished. It's quite nice to be able to use the kit decals without making my own. These were good decals, quite thin and very sticky 

Minor details still to do.

20200402_174653

20200402_174703

Colin 

• Like 10

Almost there with this build. 

I spent the day adding minor details. The undercarriage looks decidedly weak so I drilled and inserted 1mm brass rod through the main leg into the foot holding the wheels. 

The kiwi machines have a light grey winch attached to the bulk head behind the pilot. I made this from an old undercarriage leg from the spares box. 

Last few pictures before i add the doors to hide the side details. 

20200404_180722

20200404_180713

Colin 

• Like 10

It's amazing how quickly helicopters become extremely busy models. 

Like your precise painting and decalling, makes for an excellent, crisp appearance. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the comments. 

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

It's amazing how quickly helicopters become extremely busy models. 

I find with helicopters that you reach a point where picking it up to add more detail involves knocking off other details. So a critical point is reached where you have to stop.

I was handling this by the engines until I added the navigation lights. If you look at the pictures above, the red port light is the kit one. The corresponding green one was lost, stuck to a stray finger. I found a new green one in the spares box which looks so much better i have knocked off the red one and replaced it by the twin of the green. 

Progress? 

Colin 

8 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

stealing ideas as we go along 😂

A word of caution for you. The rods supporting the pylons are different and incorrectly labelled in the instructions. I thought this was of no consequence until fitting the doors. The doors are designed to be closed, especially to port, and fitting them open clashes with the pylons and rods. If you get the rods correct the doors might fit better. 

Colin 

• Like 2

Well I'm calling this built. Rotors and doors added. Nav lights from the parts bin as noted above.

IMG_5574

IMG_5576

IMG_5579

IMG_5580

My first Kittyhawk kit and quite an enjoyable build overall. Nothing really fits but its all within 0.5mm so lots of dry assembly required. Instructions could have been a bit clearer but got there in the end.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions through the build. Special thanks to CharlieNZ for the pictures which were invaluable.

Colin

• Like 8

• 9 months later...