SH-2G SUPER SEASPRITE

Colin W

Hi Chaps, 

Well it's almost as busy here as the Nordic Group build. I'm only 3 days late and there are 3 pages of building already.

Just to be very different I have passed on the Airfix Seafury and will do this Seasprite in the colours of the Royal New Zealand Navy. I picked it up in Singapore late last year. Very unusually this will entail using the kit scheme. Not often that happens for the New Zealand SIG. Here's the starter picture. The red card seems ominous but let's see...

20200218_190852

Colin 

• Like 16

Thanks for the heads up on the colour issue Charlie. 

I have made a start on the Seasprite. This is a strange kit. The underside of the cabin floor is detailed with a fine raised mesh while the top ie the bit that you can see, has 10 deep ejector pin marks. More ejector pin marks are clearly visible above the seats while the rear of the bulkhead is clear. These will all need to be attended to before painting.

20200219_193209

On a positive note, the level of detail seems to be quite good, especially in the rear and the parts fit has been great so far.

20200219_193104

Colin 

• Like 10

Thanks Charlie, your pics will be very handy when it comes time for me to build a Kiwi Seasprite. I have not been able to find any pics of what the cabin looks like, but now I do!

cheers,

Pappy

G'day Colin,

It looks like you have already discovered the first 'gotcha' - the upside down floor.  When I was building mine I found a few more. the tail MWS blisters are molded at the same height on both sides  of the tail, they should be staggered (refer to Charlie's excellent walk around in post #8. Also, if you want to depict the winch, it will not fit properly. Like many KH kits, it can seem alike a jigsaw puzzle as many options are present for different operators. I find it useful to remove any parts that will not be used and set them aside to avoid confusion and mistakes later on down the road,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

Thanks Charlie. Your link just goes to advertising but I'd be interested in the pictures. Maybe others can see them. 

My photos of the SH2F at Hobsonville in 1998 show very similar internal fit so it seemed reasonable for the SH2G. What's inside instead? Seats? 

Thanks Colin 

The F had the USN sonar fit, minus the dispenser. But the NZ is totally different, it has radar RT, Missile relay box and the AVTR, plus troop seats along the RHS. I'll look for a better hosting service and repost the pics, I loaded these tho photobucket years before they turned into a total waste of time.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures Charlie, these are a great help. I have been travelling all week so no modelling but reading up on this subject. I am now clear on the different versions of the Seasprite. Most of my information was about the SH-2F from 2002 which is a very different machine. The kit is clearly an SH-2G(NZ) while the current version is the SH-2G (I) to which there are many differences. 

Fortunately it's going to be easy to get back on track for the SH-2G(NZ) with your pictures and not much effort wasted. 

Colin 

22 hours ago, Devo said:

Its bound to turn out better than the Royal Australian Navy version, which I have a base kit

Hahaha 

These were swapped for the Australian ones.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Colin 

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

Hahaha 

These were swapped for the Australian ones.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Colin 

Honestly, I don't know how many times on Tower freq I heard "PAN PAN PAN this is Checkmate xxx...…... 😆😆😆...poor old 805 Sqn.

• Like 4

Not much progress on the Seasprite this week as working on the Viggen in the Nordic Group build. Thanks to CharlieNZ i have had a chance to get a more realistic NZ interior. The bench seat is from the parts bin with white webbing from PVC tape. I have built the gearbox mount already so I hope it fits when the time comes. 

20200306_073013

Colin 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chaps, finally getting back to the Seasprite as my Viggen nears completion in the Nordic Group build. Fuselage halves together and undercarriage bays complete. 

Cockpit done in typical NZ scheme. Black seat belts added to the black seats, secured to the black bulkhead surrounded by black instrument panels behind a black instrument panel. 

20200317_073259

Colin 

• Like 5

Did all the glazing last night with white glue. Slow but sure progress. I popped the dog house on the top to hold it all in place.

I found the 'keep calm' sticker in the box. Looks like it came from M Workshop in Singapore when I bought the kit. 

Seems like good advice at the moment ! 

20200318_074308

Colin 

• Like 7

Gradually chipping away at the Seasprite. Tail and most of the aerials added. Glazing came out ok in the end. The kit is designed to have the starboard door open and the port one closed. To open the port one is easy enough but I had to build the top rail over the hole. 

This is a good kit but nothing actually quite fits. Everything seems to be 0.5mm out, necessitating trimming and removing attachment pins. There is no reference in the instructions to open  the  location holes for the flare packs but they must be there inside.

20200320_073546

20200320_073608

I'll mask the glazing and get the nacelles on  next then final painting before i put the undercarriage on.

Colin 

• Like 3

Trick of the light above, it really isn't blue! Anyway all the glazing masked and the black base coat added over the cockpit. Engines also fitted. 

20200322_112138

Colin 

• Like 5